So I quit drinking soda again....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I don't drink it much, water (lots of it), and greatly reduced my coffee intake to 2 cups per day. pretty much eliminated junk food from my diet as well.

stick with it OP. anything habitual thing is tough to kick, but if you stick with it....the cravings to lessen.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I drank soda like a fish when I was a kid and I had a lot of cavities. Not sure if that was the cause but it certainly didn't help. I completely quit drinking soda maybe eight years ago and never looked back. Water is fine 99% of the time.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011

In that case, i occasionally drink soda.

Otherwise i might have a coke once or twice a year.
I radically eliminated sugar from my diet about 20 years ago (without any particular effort), i was shown how much sugar is in a can and i had a wtf moment. I dont do cake either.

Lets see.

Cake about 5/year
Coke ab 2/y
Other brand soda: 0
"Local" soda (for ex. Chinotto) maybe 10/y
No shnapps/sweet shots/liqueur
Hard sweets: 0
Candy bars: at most 1~2/y

And sometimes i want non-sugared juice but they dont have it.

Not totally sugar free, but trying.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well it is 12:30 PM where I'm at and I am still going without any soda.:D And still have strong cravings. Half a day to go.....

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I drink diet MD like a lab rat. Other than brain cancer I see no negative health effects from doing so, doing so, doing doing.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Get some flavored seltzer water(not the stuff with sweetener!). It'll give you the throat burn and flavor, but no sugar.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I used to consume a "large" amount of soda, somewhere close to a 12 pack weekly. And a modest amount of coffee/sugar as well.

By 2016, I was down to almost zero soda. Coffee is usually sugar-free these days, although it's unclear if artificial sweeteners (Sweet'n Low) are any "healthier." Soda consumption is back up to several times a month (damn fast food) but I never buy cases of soft drinks any more. :disappointed:

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I used to consume a "large" amount of soda, somewhere close to a 12 pack weekly. And a modest amount of coffee/sugar as well.

By 2016, I was down to almost zero soda. Coffee is usually sugar-free these days, although it's unclear if artificial sweeteners (Sweet'n Low) are any "healthier." Soda consumption is back up to several times a month (damn fast food) but I never buy cases of soft drinks any more. :disappointed:

I used to drink more than a 12 pack every day :p I guess it was a problem.

OP, good on you. It's hard. I went from regular to diet soda and I'm trying to cut down on it, but it's difficult.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I used to drink more than a 12 pack every day :p I guess it was a problem.

OP, good on you. It's hard. I went from regular to diet soda and I'm trying to cut down on it, but it's difficult.
Well I did quit earlier this year for two months. But this time I made sure I have plenty of tea mix on hand in case I can't make it to the store.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I used to drink Pepsi every day, then it turned into several per day. When I started to hit like 5-6 a day I realized it's time to slow down. I was able to bring myself to 1 per day. Then later on every couple days. Now, I don't buy it anymore, and only time I have one is if eating out, or maybe when I visit my parents. Basically it's more of a treat than a daily thing.

The trick though is trying to find something to replace it with other than water. Yeah you should drink lot of water too, but sometimes you want something more. Like if watching a movie or something. I kinda inadvertently replaced it with coffee myself. I slowed down drinking pop but now drink more coffee. I don't put anything in my coffee and drink it black, and there's more studies saying coffee is ok for you than those saying it's bad, so I'm not too worried. Another thing I was drinking for a while too is Club Soda, but it's harder to find. Not all grocery stores have it, and the ones that do don't always have it in stock. Pop on the other hand you can find everywhere. I think that's part of the issue in general with nutrition, all the unhealthy stuff is constantly being put in front of us and not the healthy stuff. So it really takes a lot of effort to avoid it and seek the healthy stuff.

Oh as a side note, if you're going to have a pop, you may as well get the real thing. Diet is actually much worse for you.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I used to drink Pepsi every day, then it turned into several per day. When I started to hit like 5-6 a day I realized it's time to slow down. I was able to bring myself to 1 per day. Then later on every couple days. Now, I don't buy it anymore, and only time I have one is if eating out, or maybe when I visit my parents. Basically it's more of a treat than a daily thing.

The trick though is trying to find something to replace it with other than water. Yeah you should drink lot of water too, but sometimes you want something more. Like if watching a movie or something. I kinda inadvertently replaced it with coffee myself. I slowed down drinking pop but now drink more coffee. I don't put anything in my coffee and drink it black, and there's more studies saying coffee is ok for you than those saying it's bad, so I'm not too worried. Another thing I was drinking for a while too is Club Soda, but it's harder to find. Not all grocery stores have it, and the ones that do don't always have it in stock. Pop on the other hand you can find everywhere. I think that's part of the issue in general with nutrition, all the unhealthy stuff is constantly being put in front of us and not the healthy stuff. So it really takes a lot of effort to avoid it and seek the healthy stuff.

Oh as a side note, if you're going to have a pop, you may as well get the real thing. Diet is actually much worse for you.
I'm diabetic so no soda for me...

May 11, 2008
Best is to just drink water.
I personally drink carbonated water with a slight lemon flavor.
Coffee black.
Tea with a bit of honey.
And almost only fresh juice.
That way, i can eat sometimes some sweet stuff like icecream.
I avoid artificial sweetners such as aspartame as much as possible.

I do prefer sugar based products.
My final verdict on HFCS or glucose fructose syrup made from other vegetables like potatoes, is that it is crap. At least for me.
I have been limiting it very much and my digestive system issues has reduced to very low level to non existant.
When i eat a product with only sugar (as polysaccharide) in it. I hardly have any issue.
When i consume the same amount of a product (like for example pie) with glucose fructose syrup in it, i get a bloated belly and i start farting like crazy.
It is the already split monosaccharides( and in large quantities) that end up in my large intestines where the bacteria start munching on it and producing gas products and other chemicals that create issues with my bowels .

The issue is not just that the monosaccharides are already split, it is also used in a larger quantity then when just normal table sugar is used.
What happens is that a lot of those monosaccharides end up in the large intestines and the bacteria go wild.
Creating all kind of byproducts that cause discomfort.

If i would eat a large amount of only fruit day by day, of course i would have the same issues.
But that is what all people have.
However, a varied diet prevents this.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Any weekday I'm at at least 64 oz and usually 84. 2x12 oz in the morning. 1x20 oz when I get to work. Another 20 oz at lunch. Frequently a final 20 oz mid afternoon (caffeine free after lunch, Sprite Zero ftw). 100% diet I won't touch the real stuff (really actively dislike it, the viscosity difference is dramatic and the sticky teeth). Diet is so light in comparison.

I have quit a few times over the years but I always conclude it's stupid and go back. I will also happily drink water, LaCroix, etc. But Pepsi Zero Sugar and Diet Coke are my true loves.

Viper GTS

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Any weekday I'm at at least 64 oz and usually 84. 2x12 oz in the morning. 1x20 oz when I get to work. Another 20 oz at lunch. Frequently a final 20 oz mid afternoon (caffeine free after lunch, Sprite Zero ftw). 100% diet I won't touch the real stuff (really actively dislike it, the viscosity difference is dramatic and the sticky teeth). Diet is so light in comparison.

I have quit a few times over the years but I always conclude it's stupid and go back. I will also happily drink water, LaCroix, etc. But Pepsi Zero Sugar and Diet Coke are my true loves.

Viper GTS
Why do you conclude that is stupid to quit drinking soda? In my case I'm on a fixed income and can't afford to be drinking the amount of soda that I was and the fact it was likely ruining my health.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Why do you conclude that is stupid to quit drinking soda? In my case I'm on a fixed income and can't afford to be drinking the amount of soda that I was and the fact it was likely ruining my health.

The times I've quit have usually been motivated by trying to reset my caffeine tolerance. Yes I know there is caffeine free diet soda but it doesn't taste the same at all without the bitterness of the caffeine. In the end I don't see the benefits I hoped for (ie it's not as useful to be responsive to caffeine as I thought it would be) so I just go back to what I want to do.

I am fortunate that the cost is essentially a non-issue for me. If giving up soda makes a meaningful difference in your budget then obviously it's a logical cut to make (and I would do the same). But if I'm cutting things I'd rather give up alcohol than diet soda.

Viper GTS

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
The times I've quit have usually been motivated by trying to reset my caffeine tolerance. Yes I know there is caffeine free diet soda but it doesn't taste the same at all without the bitterness of the caffeine. In the end I don't see the benefits I hoped for (ie it's not as useful to be responsive to caffeine as I thought it would be) so I just go back to what I want to do.

I am fortunate that the cost is essentially a non-issue for me. If giving up soda makes a meaningful difference in your budget then obviously it's a logical cut to make (and I would do the same). But if I'm cutting things I'd rather give up alcohol than diet soda.

Viper GTS
Yeah I was going over to the local 7-11 and buying it two 2L bottles at I time and some days I'll get more then that.