So I need some music ... something that i can use legally

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
4,914
0
0
Originally posted by: alfa147x
Originally posted by: AmberClad
What about Adagio for Strings?

sorry i have no idea what that is
Click the player at the upper right...

I'm not sure what the copyright status of it is though -- afaik, it was composed back in the 1930s or 1940s.

It shouldn't be that unknown though, even for younger people. It was used in Platoon and at least one game (Homeworld).
 

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
17,571
8
0
Originally posted by: AmberClad
Originally posted by: alfa147x
Originally posted by: AmberClad
What about Adagio for Strings?

sorry i have no idea what that is
Click the player at the upper right...

I'm not sure what the copyright status of it is though -- afaik, it was composed back in the 1930s or 1940s.

It shouldn't be that unknown though, even for younger people. It was used in Platoon and at least one game (Homeworld).

Any idea where else I may have heard that besides Platoon and Homeworld? It sounds really, really, familiar.
 

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
4,914
0
0
NBC may have used either Adagio for Strings or Jeff Buckley's cover of "Hallelujah" on September 11th, at the end of the broadcast. And if they didn't, at least one of the other broadcasting companies did at some point.

Or it may have been played at a 9-11 benefit concert.
 

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
17,571
8
0
Originally posted by: AmberClad
NBC may have used either Adagio for Strings or Jeff Buckley's cover of "Hallelujah" on September 11th, at the end of the broadcast. And if they didn't, at least one of the other broadcasting companies did at some point.

Or it may have been played at a 9-11 benefit concert.

That makes sense.
 

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
40,730
670
126
Edit: Can I buy the song off of iTunes and use it?

No, that only gives you limited rights to listen to it yourself.

Google "Creative Commons" for art & music that the authors are willing to let you use free.
 

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
10,539
0
0
Originally posted by: alfa147x
So I need some music ... something that i can use legally

it will be in the background of a Holocaust Memorial video

this one sounded good enough but it ends up being too happy and the panpipe
http://ccmixter.org/content/rewob/rewob_-_Circles.mp3


Thanks,
Alfa147x
:cookie:


Edit: Can I buy the song off of iTunes and use it?
No, Itunes severly limits the use from their platform. This is part of the "issues" withthe Itunes / Artist agreement.
You are looking for a "royalty free music library".
If you have a specific piece of music in mind, GOOGLE it to find the publishing company and simply ask permission. They will allow you as long as there is no selling involved, more simply, as long as you're not getting paid, you will probably not be asked to pay the publisher.
Some may contend that a "not for commercial use" / private presentation may be catagorized as "fair use" and it may well be, but who needs the hassle if there is the slightest possibility of problems, either from an Internet provider (from D/Ling it) or RIAA ( for same)

 

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
13,164
3
81
Are you making money off this production?
Is it going to be used commercially or is it for a class?

Seems like you could use a song bought off of itunes if it was just something for a class or a small project.