Question So...I murdered my video card...

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Last weekend, I took my PC apart to blow the dust out...in the process, I stuck my fat fingers into one of the fans on my ASUS 2070 dual card and broke two blades. :eek: ASUS won't just sell a replacement fan, so I sent it to them for repair....their reply today...$499 plus sales tax. o_O

So, rather than do that, I'm in the market for a new card. I just don't trust the used card market...too many miners dumping cards that were run hard 24/7. You just don't know what you're getting.
I don't need (nor can I afford) a top of the line card, so no 3080, 3080ti, 3090 cards...probably looking at an RTX3070/3070Ti in my price range. Around $500 is preferred, but could stretch it to about $600 for the right deal.
I haven't run an ATi/AMD card since the X850XT PE card I bought in the early 00's...but am trying to keep an open mind. RX6700XT, 6750XT, 6800XT, all are more than I WANT to spend, but are doable. So...how are the various AMD card manufacturers? EVGA is my preferred nVidia card mfgr, but (in spite of my current issue)ASUS has been OK for me too. I know Zotac is one to avoid, Gigabyte has a bad rep following the exploding PSU debacle.

Recommendations?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't need (nor can I afford) a top of the line card, so no 3080, 3080ti, 3090 cards...probably looking at an RTX3070/3070Ti in my price range. Around $500 is preferred, but could stretch it to about $600 for the right deal.
I *think* that I *may* have seen an RTX 3070 for $599 recently, but with crypto rallying again, who knows is prices are going to go up. The 3070 is desired by miners, too.

3070 XC3 Black Gaming, they have both the -KL and -KR SKUs for $579 .

Showing "Add to Cart" as I post this.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Last weekend, I took my PC apart to blow the dust out...in the process, I stuck my fat fingers into one of the fans on my ASUS 2070 dual card and broke two blades. :eek: ASUS won't just sell a replacement fan, so I sent it to them for repair....their reply today...$499 plus sales tax. o_O

So, rather than do that, I'm in the market for a new card. I just don't trust the used card market...too many miners dumping cards that were run hard 24/7. You just don't know what you're getting.
I haven't run an ATi/AMD card since the X850XT PE card I bought in the early 00's...but am trying to keep an open mind. RX6700XT, 6750XT, 6800XT, all are more than I WANT to spend, but are doable. So...how are the various AMD card manufacturers? EVGA is my preferred nVidia card mfgr, but (in spite of my current issue)ASUS has been OK for me too. I know Zotac is one to avoid, Gigabyte has a bad rep following the exploding PSU debacle.

Recommendations?
Why didn't you just buy a replacement fan? I'm not sure which model you have, but they are easy to find:

Probably cost less than shipping the card to Asus.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Why didn't you just buy a replacement fan? I'm not sure which model you have, but they are easy to find:

Probably cost less than shipping the card to Asus.

I browsed replacement fans before I sent it in...yes, helluva lot cheaper than the shipping, but didn't see one that looked like it was right. Once I get the old card back from ASUS, I'll take it apart and see if I can get one aftermarket.
(don't tell my wife, but this is an excellent opportunity for me to (slightly) upgrade my video card. Even a 3070 would be a decent upgrade.) :cool:

Reactions: VirtualLarry

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Why not just get a 3 pin fan and splice the connector onto it for less than $10?

Or better yet put a water block onto it.

I looked at fans, didn't see one that was quite right. (size and mounting style) Once I get the card back, I'll try again to find the right one.
That would require me to get into water cooling. No thanks.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Before I drop the $$$ on the EVGA card, anyone want to chime in on the various AMD card manufacturers?

As I said, I haven't used AMD/ATi in a long time. Not sure who builds good card and who builds junk.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
No thanks.
I agree but, it's an option. In the case of heat soak it's a better idea when dealing with monster GPU's to keep the rets of the case cool. when running dual GPU's no matter the air velocity the rest of the case was up in temps. If I were going to do a GPU in my server again I would invest the time in a water block and make sure it's overly sealed to prevent leaks.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Before I drop the $$$ on the EVGA card, anyone want to chime in on the various AMD card manufacturers?

As I said, I haven't used AMD/ATi in a long time. Not sure who builds good card and who builds junk.
I'd get the EVGA, and don't think twice, quite frankly.

I've had so many issues with mining instability on my AMD cards, especially my RDNA2 cards (6600/XT). My EVGA GTX 1660 ti has been a workhorse (along with other brands) by comparison.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I agree but, it's an option. In the case of heat soak it's a better idea when dealing with monster GPU's to keep the rets of the case cool. when running dual GPU's no matter the air velocity the rest of the case was up in temps. If I were going to do a GPU in my server again I would invest the time in a water block and make sure it's overly sealed to prevent leaks.
Too many headaches for me. I'd need the water block for the GPU and CPU, pump, lines, radiator...nah. Air cooling is fine for me. I'm even considering replacing the POS Coolermaster AIO CPU cooler I have with a good air cooler.

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
maybe look for a miner selling cards on whatever ask if he has any broken ones of that card. either that or like the other person said. get a cpu fan and heatsink and mount it to the card even through ziptie is fine. and add small copper heatsinks with fins or pins on the ram. lots of cards have no cooling or very bad cooling on the ram. so having such weird cooling wont hurt anything. I've seen many videos of people removing their gpus fans and heatsinks and just going vanilla fans and ties. heres a interesting video here CPU cooler on GPU - superb performance! - YouTube

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
efore I drop the $$$ on the EVGA card, anyone want to chime in on the various AMD card manufacturers?
Sapphire is the best.

The middle of the pack is the familiar faces, ASUS, MSI, Powercolor, Asrock, etc

avoid the usual suspects Gigabyte, XFX, Zotac, etc

Reactions: Shmee

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah pretty much, Sapphire can be quite good, but so can Powercolor with the Red Devil models. Asrock may have a longer warranty though, 3 years I believe. I don't think Zotac even makes Radeon cards, but not sure.

Reactions: Zepp

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Once I get the card back from ASUS, I'll remove the fan and use the info to try to source a replacement. I'm sure it won't be quite the same quality as the factory fan, but (hopefully) it will be close enough.

I was kind of surprised that Sapphire and PowerColor both only offer 2 year warranties on their cards. I have an EVGA GTX660 that was a replacement for a GTX460...came with a lifetime warranty. That lifetime warranty transferred to the replacement card. I don't think they offer than any more.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Once I get the card back from ASUS, I'll remove the fan and use the info to try to source a replacement. I'm sure it won't be quite the same quality as the factory fan, but (hopefully) it will be close enough.

I don't know why you would think that. I got one a couple months ago for my GTX950, it was an exact replacment, identical to the original, even had the Asus logo on it.

Asus would NOT sell me one. Ordered it from China for $7.00.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020