• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

So I just had octopus in oil...

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
7,751
8
81
Bought a can of octopus pieces in oil at the super market. Kind of looks like this.Was in one of those sardine like cans.
It was umm interesting to eat. I'm really not sure what to make of it.
Should I have gotten it in something besides oil?
Anyone else tried this?
 

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
33,854
957
126
Originally posted by: toolgirl
I thought squid and octopus are the same...
They are similar.

Squid
Octopus

Edit: Those pics aren't that great.

IIRC from my 2 semesters of marine bio, and this was years ago, but I think the difference is that a squid has a beak, it has stabilizer fins on its body, and its far less inteligent than an octopus.

IIRC it's like a lemur and a chimp.
 

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
3,668
0
0
I just looked it up too....

I stand corrected.

Either way, it's got to taste similar ;)

 

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 9, 1999
50,424
6
81
I don't think I would actually be able to handle it.
 

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
3,668
0
0
Originally posted by: XBoxLPU
Calamari is great
The best I ever had was in a little sea-side shack in Turkey. Probably not the most sanitary place, but the best ;)

I love it when they serve little baby squid with the tentacles and everything :p
 

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
7,751
8
81
I absolutely love squid rings but I don't see that at the supermarket in cans. Have to check at the fish counter next time. The canned octopus wasn't bad but not nearly as good as squid rings. Last time I had squid rings though was at the food court at South Street Seaport in NYC.
 

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
8,559
0
0
Originally posted by: Freejack2
I absolutely love squid rings but I don't see that at the supermarket in cans. Have to check at the fish counter next time. The canned octopus wasn't bad but not nearly as good as squid rings. Last time I had squid rings though was at the food court at South Street Seaport in NYC.

if you don't mind getting dirty, what i usually do(i meaning someone else around) is buy the arms/legs/whatever they are at the supermarket, & cut the rings yourself. dip in egg, bread it, fry it, eat it; yum. shrimp has been really cheap lately in nyc, so maybe other sea creatures are also.
 

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
6,906
0
76
I remember now.. calamari is squid. I only hear the term "calamari" here in the US :confused:

Octopus is a lot more chewy than calamari. Calamari is tasty :) Calamari > Octopus as far as I'm concerned, even though I think that calamari is chock full of cholesterol
 

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
17,731
0
76
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Originally posted by: toolgirl
I thought squid and octopus are the same...
They are similar.

Squid
Octopus

Edit: Those pics aren't that great.

IIRC from my 2 semesters of marine bio, and this was years ago, but I think the difference is that a squid has a beak, it has stabilizer fins on its body, and its far less inteligent than an octopus.

IIRC it's like a lemur and a chimp.

Both squid and octopods have beaks.

The main difference between a squid and a octopod is the squid has an internal shell (except a nautilis which has an external shell), an octopod does not. Squid have 10 arms, octopods have 8.
 

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
33,854
957
126
Originally posted by: Beau
Both squid and octopods have beaks.
The main difference between a squid and a octopod is the squid has an internal shell (except a nautilis which has an external shell), an octopod does not. Squid have 10 arms, octopods have 8.
A squid has a pin bone, but I don't think they all have internal shells, do they?

 

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
3,668
0
0
Originally posted by: screw3d
I remember now.. calamari is squid. I only hear the term "calamari" here in the US :confused:

Octopus is a lot more chewy than calamari. Calamari is tasty :) Calamari > Octopus as far as I'm concerned, even though I think that calamari is chock full of cholesterol

I think it was octopus that I had as sushi. It is really chewy, but didn't have a lot of taste to it as I remember. Almost like stale chewing gum.
 

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
6,906
0
76
Originally posted by: toolgirl
Originally posted by: screw3d
I remember now.. calamari is squid. I only hear the term "calamari" here in the US :confused:

Octopus is a lot more chewy than calamari. Calamari is tasty :) Calamari > Octopus as far as I'm concerned, even though I think that calamari is chock full of cholesterol

I think it was octopus that I had as sushi. It is really chewy, but didn't have a lot of taste to it as I remember. Almost like stale chewing gum.
I think it's definitely octopus in sushi. Calamari goes stale very quickly :)
 

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
17,731
0
76
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Originally posted by: Beau
Both squid and octopods have beaks.
The main difference between a squid and a octopod is the squid has an internal shell (except a nautilis which has an external shell), an octopod does not. Squid have 10 arms, octopods have 8.
A squid has a pin bone, but I don't think they all have internal shells, do they?
Yes they do, though it's not very hard and not very large.

http://encarta.msn.com/media_461553803_761552165_-1_1/Generalized_Anatomy_of_a_Squid.html
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY