So, i just decided to give my support to John McCain...

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
not "just," but something's occurred to me over the past couple days...

if all the liberals think he's too conservative (Bush redux, sell-out, etc) and all the conservatives think he's too liberal (immigration, anti-torture), he must be FTW.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
liberals don't like him because of his war stance. everything else they're fine with. ideologically, he's a liberal. stance on the war is going to be the major reason libs don't vote for him. if he wanted to bring the troops home but was conservative on some other less divisive issue, libs would be all for him

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: daveymark
liberals only think he's too conservative on the war. everything else they're fine with. ideologically, he's a liberal. stance on the war is going to be the major reason libs don't vote for him. if he wanted to bring the troops home but was conservative on some other less divisive issue, libs would be all for him

Ahhh no. Check his voting record, he is very consertive and agrees with Bush on a lot more things then he ever disagrees with.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Any time Hollywood says someone is a "tolerable Republican", run. Far. And fast.

:thumbsdown: with McCain

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Yes, we need more war and should increase military spending. God knows we can afford it.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
The only reason I like McCain is because he isn't offering to withdrawal immediately. I agree with him that the war can still be won (I'll be honest I didn't a year ago), and it concerns me when the Democrats offer these guarantees of withdrawal. You don't guarantee military action to be taken a year from now, that is just foolish, we have no idea what is going to happen.

At the same time he takes it too far, with too strong a stance against Iran and a generally more war-prone mindset. But I can't say I'll be too pissed off if he is elected because we should still try to win in Iraq, it seems the cards are finally falling into place. If Clinton is nominated he has my vote.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
"President Bush has talked about our staying in Iraq for 50 years. Make it a hundred. We've been in Japan for 60 years, we've been in South Korea for 50 years or so. That'd be fine with me. I hope it will be fine with you if we maintain a presence in a very volatile part of the world where Al Qaeda is training, recruiting, equipping, and motivating people every single day." -- John McCain, Jan 3, 2008

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Vic
"President Bush has talked about our staying in Iraq for 50 years. Make it a hundred. We've been in Japan for 60 years, we've been in South Korea for 50 years or so. That'd be fine with me. I hope it will be fine with you if we maintain a presence in a very volatile part of the world where Al Qaeda is training, recruiting, equipping, and motivating people every single day." -- John McCain, Jan 3, 2008

And they say Paul is a loon.

narcotic

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2004
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
I'm scared he's going to bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb iran.

1. I don't see anything wrong about that.
2. You talk as if the president is a dictator or something like that. You are hopefully aware of the fact that no matter how powerful our president is, still he(/she) has to get approval before doing anything like that. Do you trust your congress men?

Edit: w00t?! did you notice 3 replies in the same minute, this thread is hwat! :shocked:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: bamacre

you left out the qualifying if there are no casualties line.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: loki8481

As long as we have to pay for it, there will be casualties.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

That's not worth including as it was an obvious lie. You can't maintain a military presence in a hostile area and not have casualties.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Pabster
Any time Hollywood says someone is a "tolerable Republican", run. Far. And fast.

:thumbsdown: with McCain

Listen to Pabster. There is no reason why the GOP should nominate a candidate who is actually electable.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
not "just," but something's occurred to me over the past couple days...

if all the liberals think he's too conservative (Bush redux, sell-out, etc) and all the conservatives think he's too liberal (immigration, anti-torture), he must be FTW.

Bush is too liberal for me too. Care to rethink your value of liberal conservatives?

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Originally posted by: daveymark
liberals only think he's too conservative on the war. everything else they're fine with. ideologically, he's a liberal. stance on the war is going to be the major reason libs don't vote for him. if he wanted to bring the troops home but was conservative on some other less divisive issue, libs would be all for him

Ahhh no. Check his voting record, he is very consertive and agrees with Bush on a lot more things then he ever disagrees with.

Lessie...
-Against Tax cuts? Check.
-For illegal immigrant amnesty? Check.
-Against freedom of speech? (mccain-feingold) Check.

Sounds like the definition of a neo-con to me. Pro-war liberal, like Lieberman.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I'm for McCain because I don't think we can just pull out and he was at the forefront of the surge which has drastically improved the situation. Anything can happen between now and the election. If things don't improve markedly, I'm voting for Edwards (if I could! -- I'm not a US Citizen).