So I installed a sleep app on my phone that tracks your sleep and records sounds you make.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
After using it for a few weeks, I apparently talk a decent amount in my sleep. Most of it was unintelligible mumbling from a person asleep, but 3 of recordings were very clear. I talk in a loud'ish whisper. Like most people I typically don't remember my dreams, or at best just small pieces, so there's no context to anything I say. Not that a lot of dreams make sense anyways lol. The other night I said in a menacing sounding whisper

"you're gonna get stabbed you stupid fuckin c**t" As far as dreams go that's probably to too bad, but I'm about as non voilent as you can get and don't think I've ever used the C word in my life. I wish I could've remembered the dream it was probably a good one if I was threatening to stab someone. I originally installed the app to track my sleep, I didn't even know until after a few days of using it that it records you talking/coughing/snoring. When I realized it recorded I thought maybe I'd find out I snored, it recorded me snoring once for about 5 seconds in 3 weeks. I talk like every other night though, so now I'm more interested in using it just to see what wild shit I say in my sleep.

• Haha
Reactions: nakedfrog

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
After using it for a few weeks, I apparently talk a decent amount in my sleep. Most of it was unintelligible mumbling from a person asleep, but 3 of recordings were very clear. I talk in a loud'ish whisper. Like most people I typically don't remember my dreams, or at best just small pieces, so there's no context to anything I say. Not that a lot of dreams make sense anyways lol. The other night I said in a menacing sounding whisper

"you're gonna get stabbed you stupid fuckin c**t" As far as dreams go that's probably to too bad, but I'm about as non voilent as you can get and don't think I've ever used the C word in my life. I wish I could've remembered the dream it was probably a good one if I was threatening to stab someone. I originally installed the app to track my sleep, I didn't even know until after a few days of using it that it records you talking/coughing/snoring. When I realized it recorded I thought maybe I'd find out I snored, it recorded me snoring once for about 5 seconds in 3 weeks. I talk like every other night though, so now I'm more interested in using it just to see what wild shit I say in my sleep.

Sounds like your standard run-of-the-mill demonic possession.

the-exorcist.gif

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I've definitely been known to talk in my sleep sometimes, maybe I should try this too.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
My wife tells me that I talk, snore and fart all night. She threatened me with the dutch oven. Most of my dreams are vivid ever since I started taking Bystolic blood pressure medicine. I can usually remember most of them.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Are you sure it was you who said it, or the person who hides in your house and watches you sleep?
Yeah.

My sleep is all jacked up and erratic but whatever I watch before bed can play a part in my dreams. Guess I should watch pron. Anyway, binged signs of a psychopath. That night's dream was face bashing some guy with a shovel and tossing dirt on him before he was dead.

I approved.

Guess I should mention that to my counselor wife....or not. Meh.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Are you sure it was you who said it, or the person who hides in your house and watches you sleep?

I'm not sure, because in one of the recordings I'm not talking and don't hear anyone talking but out of nowhere Siri says "I'm on it" Maybe somebody was controlling it with their phone while they watched me sleep.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

name of app?

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
how accurately can it time when you actually fall asleep?

It listens for sounds and they claim to have some advanced machine learning that analyzes all sorts of shit. They also say they use the phone's accelerometer. I have no idea how sensitive those are, but I wouldn't think normal small movements would register (maybe I'm wrong) the app has you put the phone on your mattress close to you so maybe that is enough for the accelerometer to detect you moving. When I 1st installed it I had to use it for a week before it told me anything. But I have no idea how good its machine learning is, or what it can actually learn with just a microphone on your phone. For me I use to have trouble falling asleep, the app has a bunch of white noises and a selection of some fairly interesting stories read by random people. The stories helped me fall asleep a lot faster, but if I lay in bed motionless it tracks that as sleep. If I had to guess it's not accurate enough to be super useful. But I think for me the placebo effect did help me sleep better. It use to take me like 2 hours to fall asleep, and when I finally did I'd wake up 4-5 times. After using this app for a month my sleep had improved. And I can't credit an app on a phone for actually doing anything to make this happen outside of placebo.