So I got to deal with the cops last night

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com
So at 9:30 PM last night, and after lying on the couch for 3-4 hours straight I decided it was time to do something. Unfortunately everybody else was gone or getting drunk which didnt sound appealing to me at the time.

I decided to get off my ass and go for a walk. A long walk. A 2 and a half hour long walk. I went all over the town. I saw a few squad cars but didnt think anything of it. Overall I didn't really see anything of particular interest but Im still glad I went on the walk.

I was walking on University Drive on the way back, when a squad car makes a U-turn in front of me and stops in the grass ahead of me... They tell me to put my hands in the air. Knowing I did absolutely nothing wrong I wasnt too worried so i did. They asked for my license and school ID. I gave it to them no problem. As one cop was checking that out the other asked me what I had on me. I pointed to each section and said "CD Player. Gloves. Pen. Batteries. Keys." (my wallet was already out). He still did a frisk because apparantly "Farm King" was burglarized, and the suspect was on foot. So after the frisk we talked a little about where and why i walked, and then just talked about school for a while. Then they gave me back my ID cards and said "Dont worry. This stuff usually never happens, and you should feel safe to walk around here." They were extremely polite and friendly, and treated me like an adult, even though im a punk college student. :p

Considering I started the walk at 9:30 and didnt get back here until 12, I already do.

Now im sure you will ask "why did you give them your ID?" or other questions and its because I had nothing to hide. Im also going to guess that this thread will turn into an anti-police thread but it wouldnt be ATOT if it didnt.

Cliff Notes: Farm King was burglarized while i was out for a walk. Got stopped and frisked. Cops were friendly and polite and I was too. Overall, it caused it to be an interesting night.

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com
the funniest part was after i got back to the floor one guy came to my room saying "You are missing an exciting game of Ghettopoly"

I just laughed at him :D

Good story. That's the kind of stories I like to hear about police encounters. The Hash Bash is today at UM, and DPS has 26 officers working it. Ann Arbor probably has another 25 - 35 or so, so it should be an interesting police blotter in the paper tomorrow.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: jumpr
Good story. That's the kind of stories I like to hear about police encounters. The Hash Bash is today at UM, and DPS has 26 officers working it. Ann Arbor probably has another 25 - 35 or so, so it should be an interesting police blotter in the paper tomorrow.

Purdue's Grand Prix is coming up. I think just about every Excise officer in the state of Indiana will be here for that.

Originally posted by: minendo

Purdue's Grand Prix is coming up. I think just about every Excise officer in the state of Indiana will be here for that.
What's the Grand Prix?

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com
Originally posted by: oniq
Why wouldn't you give them your ID? :confused:

There was a thread about 2 weeks ago where people were arguing over whether or not you should have to show cops your ID if you are out walking and doing nothing wrong, so I figured people would refer to that...

Mallow

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2001
If something was stolen from a farm equipment store do they really think you could hid it in your shirt pocket? :confused: Maybe only money was stolen?

Originally posted by: Mallow
If something was stolen from a farm equipment store do they really think you could hid it in your shirt pocket? :confused: Maybe only money was stolen?
If you're going to rob a farm supply store and you escape on a stolen tractor, I almost hope the cops let you go - because you're too stupid to be thrown in jail.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo

What's the Grand Prix?
Go cart race held on the track located out by the football stadium. Was on a team a couple of years ago as the scorer. Unfortunately, we did not qualify.

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com
If you're going to rob a farm supply store and you escape on a stolen tractor, I almost hope the cops let you go - because you're too stupid to be thrown in jail.

hahaha :beer: :D

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I'd have given ID too. If I feel that the cop is being a DICK maybe I wouldn't, but giving them your ID simply speeds things along and helps them out, plus they asked nicely, and you gave to them. No harm done.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

If you could pull it off, it would actually be better economically. Those things are worth a small fortune.

Originally posted by: Mill
Yeah, I would have given ID too.
Yeah, I would have as well. At first I'd have been like, "WTF?! ID, why?" to myself, but once I realized the reason the cops were asking for it I'd have been satisfied with them.

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I'd have given ID too. If I feel that the cop is being a DICK maybe I wouldn't, but giving them your ID simply speeds things along and helps them out, plus they asked nicely, and you gave to them. No harm done.

exactly. I just figured with all the ANTI-Cop threads on here itd be nice to show some people that not all cops are dicks.

jurzdevil

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2002
this is why you always carry id with you.

i wonder how it would have gone if you didnt have id?

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com
Originally posted by: jurzdevil
this is why you always carry id with you.

i wonder how it would have gone if you didnt have id?

im sure it would have probably went the same way... they might ask me a few extra questions, but seeing as i had nothing that could possibly be from "Farm King" on me, i think they knew I didnt do anything. I think they were just curious as to what the hell i was doing walking for 2 1/2 hours on a friday night.