So I got rid of all my alcohol today

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
I made, what I think at least, a wise decision today and threw out all my hard liquor (5th of vodka and gin) plus I gave away about 30 beers I had lying in fridge to my roomate.

I have had ongoing personal problems for a little while now, and I will be going to a shrink or something just to get a little assistance (no I am not taking any pills. I know whats wrong and just need some guidance). However, my one boon for years now has been to drink 3-5 nights a week, with at least 1 night (sometimes 2 or 3) drinking alone because I would get bored at home. I used to also drink at least 3 alcoholic before going out with my friends or sometimes grabbing a 40oz and drinking while I was driving home from work or a good band practice.

Anyways, I came to a conclusion today that drinking was not helping anything, and is pretty much just a temporary solution. Sure it feels good, I mean I actually do like drinking and playing guitar alone at my house, but I guess thats a sign that I need to quit doing it (That and the fact that I drank 5 beers and killed half a 5th of vodka alone sunday night out of bordem). I have also not had a sober weekend in a number of years.

While I am not quitting drinking, I am certainly cutting back big time by doing a number of things. Number 1 is to stop any and all drinking alone, and only socially. Number 2 is to not own any actual alcohol in my apartment. Number 3 is to quit drinking hard liquor, I usually dont get blasted on beer. Number 4 is to always leave my credit card at home when I go out and only bring a certain amount of money. Number 5 is to never drive drunk, and I have not done this in a while because I now either get a ride or sleep in the back of my van when I get too drunk.

So you might be asking "Why not just quit drinking?". Simple, cause I still like to have a few beers with my friends at a bar, or get a couple with my bandmates after a good show. Moderation is the key here I believe, and the best times I have had are always the nights where I have a good buzz and dont get drunk. Only drink when the times call for it, not cause its a tuesday night and the wells are a dollar, or cause it a friday night and I am supposed to.

I might get flamed, I might get cussed at, but at least I am trying. I know that the first sign of alcoholism is denying it, but I really dont think I am there yet, I am just preventing it before it happens. Hopefully now I can get in even better, focus on my other problems, and get more hobbies, and stop a smell the semi-sober roses.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
:thumbsup:

Good luck to you.

Sounds like you know what you need to do, stick to it if you think it will help.

Jun 4, 2005
Good luck.

My grandfather quit drinking, but keeps it in his house. It reminds him of what he has overcome, and how strong he is when he can resist them temptation.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
It's a big step in the right direction...I have similar problems to deal with currently. congrats.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
:thumbsup: for having enough self-awareness to recognize your own problems and the self-discipline to take action to help. Good luck.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
I think you will be surprised at how much happier in general you will be. Even 3-4 nights of sleep without the fitful sleep alcohol gives you will do wonders for you.

Good Luck.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
cut it down to 1 time a week and work from there. :beer: I mean :thumbsup:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Sometimes moderation is an impossible goal. For me, drinking moderately is like getting teeth worked on without any painkillers. Sure, I suppose it is possible, but oh so not worth the trouble.
From the sounds of your drinking habits, you are most assuredly an alcoholic. Any time you exhibit a pattern or series of patterns in your drinking, you fit the bill.
It does no good for me to tell you this, you must reach it on your own. Maybe you will look back and remember this thread.
You don't have to do it without support. You do have to reach the decision on your own, and you cannot quit for anyone or anything else but you.
Your friends will still hang with you if you chose not to drink, and you will still enjoy life, have fun, etc.

JoeI

Banned
Jul 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Sluggo
I think you will be surprised at how much happier in general you will be. Even 3-4 nights of sleep without the fitful sleep alcohol gives you will do wonders for you.

Good Luck.

yeah totally alcohol gives me serious nightmares

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Originally posted by: JoeI
Originally posted by: Sluggo

Good Luck.

yeah totally alcohol gives me serious nightmares

If I get loaded I feel like I never slept at all, regardless of how many hours I slept. Going out both nights of the weekend is getting really difficult as I approach 40. :p

jerryjg

Banned
Jul 2, 2005
you are a shame and disgrace to good alhoholics everywhere(like me). Ive been drinking at least a 6 packf beer, and usually more- every night for 15 years and you dont see me whining.Youre probably right .in my case its way pass time to quit.

MX2

Lifer
Apr 11, 2004
Sounds like you are just doing what happens when you grow up and see things in a different light. Personally, I like what I read and applaud you. You sound like a mature and responsible person Mat. Good luck to you :thumbsup:

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
i rarely drink to excess (2-3 drinks is considered "a lot" around here), but my fridge currently contains 4 or 5 handles of hard alcohol, plus probably 75 beers. there's a bottle of wine on the counter, and an empty bottle of champange in the recycle bin.

my roommates and i keep looking at it and saying "we don't party. what are we going to do with all of this?"

but i've noticed that nearly every evening i spend home with my gf and we don't have homework or other things to do, we end up drinking. i don't want it to be our default activity.

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Good luck man. I grew up watching my mom basically babysit her alcoholic brother for a number of years, and it scared me. I *do* drink once in a while, but it's only once in a blue moon. I figure that if I never start, I'll never miss it. Makes things a little difficult when all your friends want to go and hang out at a bar though.

Nate