So I got my new Cingular phone today...

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
(note: this thread is somewhat a continuation of this thread)

...and lo and behold, I cannot make or receive calls! I checked the box for activation instructions etc. but none were given--which makes sense since I was told the phone would be 'pre-activated'. There was a note saying initially I will only be able to place calls and not receive calls while the number was being ported over. But I couldn't place a call...the phone just said "inactive SIM card".

I called the sales agent I bought it from (LetsTalk.com/IntelenetWireless). They say it should be activated and any problems I'm having I should deal with Cingular directly. So I called the activation hotline number they gave, and using the automated info I entered my phone number, SS, zip etc. It definately recognized me as a customer, and then forwarded me to a live attendant. I explained the problem, the CSR checked the number port status, and then a Level 2 rep came on and said they needed to send some info to my SIM card with the phone on. Didn't work.

Of course, after investigating the issue, the Level 2 rep realized that SPRINT NEVER ACTUALLY PORTED THE NUMBER EVEN THOUGH THEY SENT A RESPONSE BACK TO CINGULAR SAYING THEY HAD!!! SONS OF BITCHES!!! What will it take to get rid of this beast?? I swear I am this close to going Van Helsing on Sprint's ass, hunting down all who are responsible for my woes and destroying them.

But right now Cingular says that they are well equipped to deal with Sprint...in fact as I'm typing this post the Level 2 CSR just called me back and told me Sprint is scheduled to release the number to Cingular at 11am tomorrow (an OLD SP CREATE?), at which time the proper activation info will be sent to my SIM card and then I can use my phone. In the meantime, I guess I can start on bluetoothing my phonebook into the phone's memory...

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt
Complain to the FCC.
That's a good idea actually...I've already documented most of what I need (CSR names/IDs, misinformation given on various calls, etc.)

Nikamichi

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2003
Hold up, gimme a minute....

You're disappointed with Cingular, aren't you?

Give it some time. Just call it the... "OMG I can't use my damn phone" plan.

:p

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: werk
Stupid question...but is the SIM card inserted in the phone correctly? :)
Hey man, cut me some slack! I'm new to this whole GSM thing with sim cards but that was the first thing I checked!