• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

So I got my new 2x XFX 5870s last night :)

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
And I have to wait on the RMA of my ASUS rampage extreme II motherboard to use them! Argh! Oh well, hopefully by next week I'll have these bad boys up and running in my system.

Now I just need to do something with this 4870x2 card once everything is up and good. Too bad it's a bit too long for my htpc case :(

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Well once ya get em runnin it will be worth the wait.

I'm looking for a new HTPC case, would need something that can fit high end GPU's, but not the ultra high end stuff.

How is the RaidMax Ice case? Ive been considering a Lian-Li PC33B, expensive, but looks real clean. Only problem is it's height at 6.6" is a smidge to tall to fit in my current area on the TV stand.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Well once ya get em runnin it will be worth the wait.

I'm looking for a new HTPC case, would need something that can fit high end GPU's, but not the ultra high end stuff.

How is the RaidMax Ice case? Ive been considering a Lian-Li PC33B, expensive, but looks real clean. Only problem is it's height at 6.6" is a smidge to tall to fit in my current area on the TV stand.
Actually, the raidmax case is the case I have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811156200

I picked it up awhile ago at Microcenter. It's a decent little case. I can fit a full PSU in it after I cut off the PSU bracket and a decent size video card. The 4870x2 is just a little too big unless I decide to get the dremel out the floppy part of the hard drive cage area. I might do it though.

I can also fit in a full sized heatstink as I got a Xigmatek s1283 in there as well but it butts right up against the PSU I have which is an Antec 850watt quattro which is pretty close to butting up against the back of the DVD drive I have. I am forced to use an L shaped sata cable to get it all to work. The antec PSU is exceptionally long though and there are other quality PSU's that are a smidge smaller to give more room. I used to have a Thermaltake tough power (made by channel well) 850watter that was perfect for the case, but sold it because I got an exceptional offer for it. Paid $40 for it and got $200 so I couldn't refuse.

I might try to see about dremeling out the floppy cage on the case to see if I can get the 4870x2 to fit.

My biggest gripe with my htpc computer is the shitty motherboard. The biostar g31 m7 is the crappiest board I've ever used. It doesn't over clock for shit and if you try to use too many of the built on peripherals then some of them start turning off. Like the lan, or the sound card, or the front usb ports, or the USB ports drop in speed from 2.0 to 1.0. It's really effing annoying. And it's the board as a make and not my particular one since I returned three different ones to Fry's when I got it as a bundle deal.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
If the whole HTPC thing isn't important get the CoolerMaster CM690 II Advanced. It's a really solid case with some really nice features for under $100.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Yes i've heard good things about the CM690, for my needs I need something that fits longer vid cards in HTPC look.

Thanks for the info HumblePie, didn't realize it was micro-atx, I need full size for my ol' 965P-DS3 board.

ASK THE COMMUNITY