So I got a speeding ticket today...

Mr Smiley

Oct 12, 2004
I was driving home when I passed a school zone sign. I was driving around 30, the lights were not flashing on the school zone sign so I thought it didn't apply. I passed the school and started to speed up. A little further down the road behind some bushes sat about 5 cop cars and I saw a cop run over and take my speed and then a cop ran out on to the road and waved me over. I pulled into the road and there were about 5 other cars there already... The guy asked me how fast I was going I said around 35 and he says 41! He then explains to me that the speed limit in a school zone is 25. So after waiting about an hour and watching as the guy behind me gets arrested, he gives me the ticket and I drive off.

This was my first ticket and needless to say I was scared shitless. Should I go to court over this or just pay the ticket? Do you think when the cop that took my speed could have messed up the reading because he seemed to be moving when he took it.

I know I will probably pounded to death by people saying "You could have seriously injured someone" or something like that. I know what I did could be considered reckless but I seriously thought that I was abiding the law. Can we really punish ignorance? Anyway, I justed needed to vent as my head is going about a thousand mph.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
If the lights weren't blinking, there is no case. Either they were blinking or you left something out. During non-school hours, the normal speed limit applies.

If the lights weren't blinking, but the times were written and it was indeed in that time period, then you were rightfully ticketed. It is pretty stupid though that sometimes the lights aren't in sync with the times.

Oct 25, 2006
If you didn't say the part about you going at 35, you could technically get off with a warning/ contest that his radar gun sucks.

But you realize that the rst question is always asked to see if you confess to going over the speed limit? You confessed, so you can't do anything anymore. Just pay the fine and drive safer

And yes, you can pusnish ignorance. If he didn't punish you, would you know that the speed limit is 25 mph now?

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Make sure school wasn't in session. Some school zones apply all the time, some only during certain hours. What was the speed limit before the school zone? Hopefully it was 35mph. And for future reference, NEVER give them a speed. When they ask, just say no sir/ma'am.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
School zones are also when any children are present. So the light doesn't even have to be flashing as long as there is a kid anywhere in sight.

Mr Smiley

Oct 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Uppsala9496
I take it school was in session?
It may have been in session but I was the only car on the road.

Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
If the lights weren't blinking, there is no case. Either they were blinking or you left something out. During non-school hours, the normal speed limit applies.

If the lights weren't blinking, but the times were written and it was indeed in that time period, then you were rightfully ticketed. It is pretty stupid though that sometimes the lights aren't in sync with the times.
They definitely were not blinking. When I was pulled over, I was facing the school zone sign on the other side of the road and could clearly see that it was not blinking also.

Originally posted by: tenshodo13
And yes, you can pusnish ignorance. If he didn't punish you, would you know that the speed limit is 25 mph now?
Yeah, you are probably right. Now when ever I see a school zone sign I will drive at 25 no matter if they are blinking or not.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
For a few years Oregon decided that school zones should apply all the time (I think they've since repealed that...).

As a driver who attempts to follow the speed limit I almost prefer this. The annoyance of doing 25 mph at 3 AM on Saturday morning is more than offset by the constant worry of "Is today a school day? Is school in session? Was the light blinking? Can I see any children??

Anyway ON topic I say fight it if you think you were right. If there were 5 cops there I somewhat doubt they were all wrong though...

Viper GTS

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
in az, it depends on which city youre in. tempe has a 35 all the time for the high schools and middle school, but elementary are 15 between the signs. otherwise its the speed of the neighborhood, which is usually 25 anyway. you really have to find out what the laws are in your city, and fortunately you may be able to wipe the ticket with traffic school. they will tell you exactly what the rule are for your cities school zones. i just went thru it a few months ago for a radar ticket i got on lincoln, the unmanned speed trap.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: hanoverphist
in az, it depends on which city youre in. tempe has a 35 all the time for the high schools and middle school, but elementary are 15 between the signs. otherwise its the speed of the neighborhood, which is usually 25 anyway. you really have to find out what the laws are in your city, and fortunately you may be able to wipe the ticket with traffic school. they will tell you exactly what the rule are for your cities school zones. i just went thru it a few months ago for a radar ticket i got on lincoln, the unmanned speed trap.

I hate those unmanned traps

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
i would pay if no points.
if not, go to court, offer to pay the fine and ask for no points on your record. explain to the traffic judge why you were given the ticket

fine is nothing compared to increased insurance cost.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
This seems very strange... the lights weren't blinking but they had 5 cops just sitting there waiting to nail people who were speeding? Did you say anything about that to the cop? I would fight it, school zone tickets probably nail you on the points.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs
This seems very strange... the lights weren't blinking but they had 5 cops just sitting there waiting to nail people who were speeding? Did you say anything about that to the cop? I would fight it, school zone tickets probably nail you on the points.

he said they arrested someone, it's possible that's why they were around and after they found out they didn't need 5 they set up a speed trap with the extras? Dunno.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Mr Smiley
I was driving home when I passed a school zone sign. I was driving around 30, the lights were not flashing on the school zone sign so I thought it didn't apply. I passed the school and started to speed up. A little further down the road behind some bushes sat about 5 cop cars and I saw a cop run over and take my speed and then a cop ran out on to the road and waved me over. I pulled into the road and there were about 5 other cars there already... The guy asked me how fast I was going I said around 35 and he says 41! He then explains to me that the speed limit in a school zone is 25. So after waiting about an hour and watching as the guy behind me gets arrested, he gives me the ticket and I drive off.

This was my first ticket and needless to say I was scared shitless. Should I go to court over this or just pay the ticket? Do you think when the cop that took my speed could have messed up the reading because he seemed to be moving when he took it.

I know I will probably pounded to death by people saying "You could have seriously injured someone" or something like that. I know what I did could be considered reckless but I seriously thought that I was abiding the law. Can we really punish ignorance? Anyway, I justed needed to vent as my head is going about a thousand mph.

Go and appear at least to not get points on your license which would jack you insurance.

Just consider it contributing to their Christmas party.