So I got a new toy yesterday...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Not exactly a console, but it's gaming related.

I splurged for my 40th birthday and got myself an expensive toy.

kdVLoLT.jpeg

Last night I went out but after I got back I ended up setting it up, but didn't get a chance to actually play it because I didn't have time to level it and I want to install the lane protector before playing the first ball.

G2JVjtU.jpeg

0CjIWBe.jpeg

I have a bunch of mods already that I'm going to install, which includes the most awesome shooter rob in the history of pinball, but not sure when I will get around to doing that. Hopefully today I can get some of them installed.

I took a bunch of pics during the unboxing/setting up because it was my first pinball machine ever, let alone a brand new one, so if anyone is interested in what the whole process looks like, I uploaded the pics to a gallery on imgur.

Last edited:

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Amazing! Can't wait to check out these pics a bit later. The unboxing experience is really cool. What a great pin too! Congrats!

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Congrats! Be warned, though... they tend to multiply. NIB is a great experience.

If you haven't already, definitely join Pinside (and check out the owner's club thread for your machine). It's the best pinball resource anywhere.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Amazing! Can't wait to check out these pics a bit later. The unboxing experience is really cool. What a great pin too! Congrats!
Yeah I almost bought one used from a guy locally and it was in prestine condition. But I missed out because I was a bit hesitant and trying to work on price a bit. It was a great learning experience about how hot the market is and what fair prices are, as well as what "firm" on pricing means.

Then I realized that this game is going to be nearly impossible to find locally used, and even NIB they were impossible to find. I literally called every single distro/dealer on the Stern website and 2 had them in stock NIB. Every other one was out and the tentative date now is April 2022, and I'm guessing it will be pushed back with how Stern is backed up right now.

Congrats! Be warned, though... they tend to multiply. NIB is a great experience.

If you haven't already, definitely join Pinside (and check out the owner's club thread for your machine). It's the best pinball resource anywhere.
Yeah something about putting it together from NIB was really cool and awesome. I definitely took my time and made sure everything was right. I put on quite a few mods before ever even turning it on lol.

And yeah I'm on pinside. That is wherre I hooked up with that other guy who I almost purchased it from. I regret not getting it from him and spent like $1k more to get it NIB, which in the end worked out. His had 4600 plays on it and he was the second owner, and it was in a bar initially for 6 months. But it looked prestine you would have never known it was on route.

But oh well, like I said, it was a huge learning experience missing out on that one.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Yeah I almost bought one used from a guy locally and it was in prestine condition. But I missed out because I was a bit hesitant and trying to work on price a bit. It was a great learning experience about how hot the market is and what fair prices are, as well as what "firm" on pricing means.

Then I realized that this game is going to be nearly impossible to find locally used, and even NIB they were impossible to find. I literally called every single distro/dealer on the Stern website and 2 had them in stock NIB. Every other one was out and the tentative date now is April 2022, and I'm guessing it will be pushed back with how Stern is backed up right now.

Yeah something about putting it together from NIB was really cool and awesome. I definitely took my time and made sure everything was right. I put on quite a few mods before ever even turning it on lol.

And yeah I'm on pinside. That is wherre I hooked up with that other guy who I almost purchased it from. I regret not getting it from him and spent like $1k more to get it NIB, which in the end worked out. His had 4600 plays on it and he was the second owner, and it was in a bar initially for 6 months. But it looked prestine you would have never known it was on route.

But oh well, like I said, it was a huge learning experience missing out on that one.

The pinball market has been psychotic for a # of years! It is a hoot buying or selling.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The pinball market has been psychotic for a # of years! It is a hoot buying or selling.
That is part of the reason I could financially/mentally justify a purchase of this cost, because I know if I have buyers remorse or anything, I can virtually get my money back if not more.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
That is part of the reason I could financially/mentally justify a purchase of this cost, because I know if I have buyers remorse or anything, I can virtually get my money back if not more.

Yea that has been the case for a while now. Hopefully the market doesn't blow up, it is also wild how much it has pivoted to the home market. JP2 is on my short list if I ever move and get a real basement. I can only fit 2 machines for now.

Reactions: purbeast0

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
That is dope.

I always wanted to get my hand on a pinball game called Whitewater. It's probably before your time.

We always used to play it at this pizza place for years back in my 18-22 years, so just over 20 years ago. Of course I have nowhere to put it and it's not in my budget so it's a hopeless dream lol

Reactions: RearAdmiral

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That is dope.

I always wanted to get my hand on a pinball game called Whitewater. It's probably before your time.

We always used to play it at this pizza place for years back in my 18-22 years, so just over 20 years ago. Of course I have nowhere to put it and it's not in my budget so it's a hopeless dream lol
That game is still a popular one. I don't have any ties to it and have never played it but definitely see people talking about it as being one of the good older games. Definitely will hold value if you somehow get one.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Been modding the shit out of this and got some new toys today for it and installed everything.

Upgraded speakers, speaker LED kit, LED flipper buttons, and the topper. I am really liking how this stands right now.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Been modding the shit out of this and got some new toys today for it and installed everything.

Upgraded speakers, speaker LED kit, LED flipper buttons, and the topper. I am really liking how this stands right now.

Awesome. Do the speakers LEDs sync up somehow? What speaker kit did you use?

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Also remind me to crash your place next time I'm in DC(assuming by your Nationals pic). I'll bring fresh balls lol. Also I honestly can hardly believe the price increases happening w/ Stern. Makes my WOZ and DP prem purchases seem reasonable. Regardless how are you enjoying the machine now that it is hopefully broken in a bit?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Awesome. Do the speakers LEDs sync up somehow? What speaker kit did you use?
This is the kit I used.

I had to get new speakers too cause stock ones are 4". I also go the yellow acrylic pieces to match.

The LED kit doesn't sync up at all it just comes with a remote that has a bajillion settings to change. I just keep it on the green spiraling ones since it goes with it pretty well. I'm going to try to find an amber colored one too and just see how it goes since the amber shooter rod and there is that color theme throughout, but in general it is more "green" towards the top of the machine so I like how the green lights look.

I opted for the yellow acrylic pieces though because you can only see the color when the machine is off and the yellow matches the yellow outline of the "JURASSIC PARK" font on the head.

And I'm enjoying it immensely. I have over 400 plays already and I'm finally starting to see some improvement. I surpassed the default grand champion score of 500 million 2 times so far so I'm on there as the GC lol. And yeah the value of these things seems like they are not decreasing any time soon. DP is highly sought after too so that should retain it's value big time. I heard that the early build of DP has been pushed back to like August 2022 now or maybe even further too.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
This is the kit I used.

I had to get new speakers too cause stock ones are 4". I also go the yellow acrylic pieces to match.

The LED kit doesn't sync up at all it just comes with a remote that has a bajillion settings to change. I just keep it on the green spiraling ones since it goes with it pretty well. I'm going to try to find an amber colored one too and just see how it goes since the amber shooter rod and there is that color theme throughout, but in general it is more "green" towards the top of the machine so I like how the green lights look.

I opted for the yellow acrylic pieces though because you can only see the color when the machine is off and the yellow matches the yellow outline of the "JURASSIC PARK" font on the head.

And I'm enjoying it immensely. I have over 400 plays already and I'm finally starting to see some improvement. I surpassed the default grand champion score of 500 million 2 times so far so I'm on there as the GC lol. And yeah the value of these things seems like they are not decreasing any time soon. DP is highly sought after too so that should retain it's value big time. I heard that the early build of DP has been pushed back to like August 2022 now or maybe even further too.

Nice. I just saw in another thread you got a stern dust cover. How do you like that? I should probably cover my machines.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Nice. I just saw in another thread you got a stern dust cover. How do you like that? I should probably cover my machines.
Yeah I just snapped this pic to show you what it looks like with the machine off as for the yellow acryic.

m0G0lTL.jpg

As for the dust cover yeah I like it. It's just basically a big ass mouse pad lol. I was already ordering my buttons from pinball life and the shipping for small ass buttons was like $15. They had the dust cover and I was looking at an alternative one on pinside which would have been $35 shipped or so, but I opted to just add the stern one from pinball life for $50 because I like how it looks and there was no extra shipping added on.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Yeah I just snapped this pic to show you what it looks like with the machine off as for the yellow acryic.

m0G0lTL.jpg

As for the dust cover yeah I like it. It's just basically a big ass mouse pad lol. I was already ordering my buttons from pinball life and the shipping for small ass buttons was like $15. They had the dust cover and I was looking at an alternative one on pinside which would have been $35 shipped or so, but I opted to just add the stern one from pinball life for $50 because I like how it looks and there was no extra shipping added on.

Very cool, the yellow looks great w/ the theme and the topper is really cool. I was wondering what sort of material the cover was made from so thx for the mouse pad description.

Reactions: purbeast0

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Beat my high score by about 220 million last night. This game has a love/hate relationship with me. It is just super punishing when you make a mistake, which happens often with me since I'm still not very good. But when you have a good run, it's one of the best rushes you can get in gaming. Day before I rage quit after like 4 games of absolutely nothing going right lol.

6zF7YiW.jpg

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Went to my first pinball tournament today and it was a blast. I did not do very hot at all but it was expected but it was a total of 52 people and I had a really good time and will definitely do it again. Unfortunately I didn't end up playing on a GZ or JP machine though lol.