So I got a "care package" in the mail 2 days ago from my aunt and uncle.....

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I knew it was coming. They buy DVD's all the time, and often buy ones that they end up already having. My aunt said they had a few on top of their collection (which is well over 500 by now I'm sure) and that she'd be dropping them in the mail for me. Here's what I got:

Kickboxer
Mercury Rising
American Pie Directors Cut
Two Can Play That Game
Lost Souls
Left Behind
Tigerland

Oh, and a boxed set of some series....perhaps you've heard of it...

Band of Brothers Boxed set in the tin :Q:D

I was about to toss the box, when I decided to take out the newspaper that was in there for padding (they live in Hawaii). And there was a card stuck in between the paper and the box. I thought, "how nice, pictures maybe?" Imagine my surprise when I open it up, to find that my aunt has put in 5 crisp $50 bills :Q The card said, "Go have dinner on us! Enjoy!"

Needless to say, my wife and I were ecstatic! It was like friggin christmas!

Holy crap! Too bad they're your aunt and uncle instead of grandma and grandpa! That's sweet!

EDIT: do they have kids? 'Cause if they do, it's a little weird that they're sending you all this stuff.

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by: brunswickite
wow thats pretty cool, you have a generous aunt and uncle

Yeah, I haven't heard of those either.

You're a lucky guy...no stop wasting time there and go eat...

Joyride

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2001
Please tell me you were going to toss the empty box before you saw the $50s. For a second there I thought you were going to throw away the dvd's they sent you

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: brunswickite
wow thats pretty cool, you have a generous aunt and uncle

That is a HUGE understatement. Here's the background story, kind of sad.

When my uncle was in HS, about 18, he was in a car accident. His door flew open, and he was ejected out of the vehicle, paralyzing him from the neck down (he's a quad). His door was locked at the time, and he filed suit against Ford Motor Company. He won. Settlement amount, $3.6 million. After many years of abuse by his friends/siblings/so called "care-takers", years of living the life with drugs, etc, he found his now wife. She was actually the girlfriend/wife of one of his x-friends that was living in his house. She has a daughter, which he has legally adopted, and she is now 12/13 ish I think. Anyway, she takes WONDERFUL care of him, and has since day one. They currently live in Kona, HI.

Ever since his accident, my uncle has ALWAYS taken care of just about anyone he can. His siblings (2 brothers, 1 sister) still get $500 a month from him (don't get me started). One of his brothers (my dad) is currently serving a 12 year term in Taft, and he still gets money from him every month.

I am his #1 (as in chronological order) nephew, and he's always spoiled me, taken care of me, and helped me when in need. Several years ago, I jacked around and lost my job. He helped me till I found a new job. When I was laid off last July, I didn't want to tell him, cuz I didn't want him sending me more money. But he eventually found out from other people, and he called me..."So, how's work?" Despite my telling him no, I got a check a few days later for $600.

For a couple years, he and his wife actually lived up here, in Washington. We'd all go up to Vancouver for the weekend, I'd stay at their crib and we'd all order massive amounts of food to pig out on, etc.

He's always taken care of those he really doesn't have to. I'll actually be seeing them this October when the wife and I drag the kids down to Hawaii. Turns out their daughter has a 2 week vacation from school the same month we were planning on going down. When they found out we would be in Honolulu, they decided to head over for visits at the same time so we could all get together :)

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
BTW, I watched the first 2 episodes of BoB last night. Can't wait to throw in disk 2 tonight :D

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Wow, your uncle is very selfless. How wonderful of him.

I hope he's invested that money wisely. All that generosity can catch up to him sooner or later if he doesn't have a good chunk in a growth state.

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: bleeb
Tell your aunt and uncle to send me shiet too!!

Well, that could be arranged. She does do his shiat since he can't actually sit on a can and go himself.....

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Well, I know things for him have been tough for the past few weeks. He had a pressure sore for a while that left him in bed for about 6 weeks till it healed. Then he got up, went and saw a movie, and it opened back up again. So, he's going on 7/8 weeks or so in bed cuz he wants to make sure it doesn't open back up again. He hates going to the dr, but he had to earlier this week cuz he was a little congested. I'm sure it was the first time he was every HAPPY to go see the dr :)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
doesn't CARE stand for like Completely American Rations for Europe or something? i know the last word is europe.

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix
doesn't CARE stand for like Completely American Rations for Europe or something? i know the last word is europe.

huh?

edit: ah, I got it....