So I go get some stew, & I break the friggin' bowl!

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I decided I was hungry. I went & got some stew that my mom had made from last night, grated cheese over the top, & microwaved it. Took it out, & was holding it in the palm of my hand, stirring it with a spoon. Keep in mind that this is one of the white "unbreakable" bowls, the ones that you can bang around & they don't break, but if you DO manage to break one, they usually EXPLODE into little white shards all over the place.

So, I'm stirring my food, & I hear this pop. I look down, & I'd broken the bowl cleanly in two, much like slicing the side off of it at an angle with a sword or something. Weird!

I'm just glad the stew was thick enough not to run out, 'cause that would have hurt like mad. Hot liquids & skin don't mix very well.

Moral of the story?

Strange things happen when you stay up too late.

:Q

Viper GTS

snow patrol

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2000
A similar(ish) thing happened to me last week. There I was sitting at the computer, when all of a sudden my tummy rumbled and I realised I hadn't eaten in 16 hours. Decided to go downstairs and make a huge bacon/lettace/tomato (BLT) sandwhich. Sizzled the bacon, cut some nice thick slices of bread and tomato and capped it off with some fresh iceburg lettace. Put it on the plate, and proceeded toward the kitchen door.

Unfortunately, I had not realised that my dog had been sitting directly outside the kitchen door, no doubt enticed my the fumes from the grill. Well, you can imagine what happened - I opened the door, my dog in a fit of uncontrollable excitment jumped up at me and gave me the shock of my life. The sandwhich fell from the plate, almost in slow motion, and onto the floor...need I say more? :( Oh god that sandwhich would have been nice. I almost cried!

beat mania

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2000

<< I decided I was hungry. >>

That sounds ... complicated ... I'm usually just hungry. Maybe next time I'm hungry I'd try to decide that I'm not hungry :D

beat mania

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2000

<< I decided I was hungry. >>

That sounds ... complicated ... I'm usually just hungry. Maybe next time I'm hungry I'd try to decide that I'm not hungry :D

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
VIPER --

Have you noticed you seem to have quite a lot of problems??

Just jokin'

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
My mom did something similar - she was washing the dishes, and we were talking, when all of a sudden, *smash*
I looked at her and said &quot;what the hell was that?&quot;, she was holding two halves of a bowl in her hand - for some reason it just split! This was a ceramic bowl too! Weird...

Pastfinder

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2000
Whoa, that's pretty messed up. I suggest this bowl I have made out of Melamine, unless that is what your bowl was made out of:):confused:

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
My mother bought me a clear salad bowl set for Christmas. My husband broke it, and fixed it with scotch tape?? It was on the counter, and I put the salad in it, picked it up to walk it to the table. Salad went all over the floor, and he just sat there staring at me like &quot;Oops?&quot; My only question for him was did you really think I would not notice? :)

Rand7263

Sep 28, 2000
I've always been amazed at how when you are washing dishes you can drop a glass on a hardwood floor and it will just bounce and not even break. Yet take the same glass and drop it on the counter (a fall no more than 2 inches) and it will shatter as if you struck it with a hammer. weird. Last time that happened to me was over the holidays, needless to say after I broke some crystal (waterford I think) I was kicked out of the kitchen. :) hehe works every time

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I think it has something to do with the &quot;breakproof&quot; materials building up severe internal stresses. Then a fracture point develops, &amp; it simply explodes.

I remember hearing or reading about a live TV demonstration of what was (at the time) the latest &amp; greatest break proof material. The announcer had a piece of the glass, &amp; was busy explaining to the audience how it had been used in prior demonstrations to pound nails into wood. Which it had, he was telling the truth. To make an exclamation, he tapped on it with his pencil. And it shattered.

Poor guy spent the rest of the session trying to explain WHY it had happened.

:D

Viper GTS