Discussion So I finally quit drinking soda.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Once you've tasted Dr. Pepper, or Mtn. Dew with real sugar, you'll immediately understand why soft drinks became so popular.
HFCS-sweetened drinks aren't nearly as habit forming. And diet formula REALLY isn't.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
yeah, diet soda actually makes you eat more (that stuff effs with your ghrelin levels and doesn't kill your appetite like the sugary poison does.) It's one of the many reasons why obese folk continue to get even fatter when they switch to diet sodas. Water is the only way to go.

In ~highschool times, I used to drink tons of IBC rootbeer, Sundrop, Sunkist or whatever. I guess there was a time when I drank tons of soda, but for whatever reason, it just became very gross to me. I really can't stand any kind of soda these days, and it's been that way for at least 20 years or more now. I love water and I don't understand what it is in some humans that don't like water, or the taste of water. I think there is something screwed up in such brains, because a living thing absolutely craves water. water is great.

Oh and beer. Beer is good, too.
For the first while after I switched to water (honestly it was just to save money when I was ordering lunch), it was pretty dull. Now a cool glass of water is refreshing as all heck. Even room temperature water is fine. I do drink soda a handful of times throughout the year, but it's pretty rare.

But beer, I drink that every weekend. Beer is good.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Congratulations
I quit pop a bunch of years ago, and, only cheat about 2 times per month when I have orange crush at chinese place by work with my lunch, or if I go to culvers and drink root beer.

That said, it was much easier for me since I love coffee and tea.

What was much harder was when i gave up coffee thinking it might help reduce symptoms of diverticulitis, but, mostly it just made me miserable.

That said, I do try to limit myself to around 2 or 3 mugs of coffee per day (around half of a 10-12 cop coffee pot)

Reactions: whm1974

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Good to hear!

I used to drink a decent amount of pop in high school and through college, I'd guess on the order of 3-4 cans a day, maybe a bit less sometimes. I slowly cut back, not even intending to or thinking about it, to now having a can maybe once every couple months. I still like Coke but man it's sweet after not being accustomed to it! Haha. I drink more water now though still probably not as much as I should. I get thirsty for water but after a couple glasses that's it, and I have to just force myself to drink any more.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Congratulations
I quit pop a bunch of years ago, and, only cheat about 2 times per month when I have orange crush at chinese place by work with my lunch, or if I go to culvers and drink root beer.

That said, it was much easier for me since I love coffee and tea.

What was much harder was when i gave up coffee thinking it might help reduce symptoms of diverticulitis, but, mostly it just made me miserable.

That said, I do try to limit myself to around 2 or 3 mugs of coffee per day (around half of a 10-12 cop coffee pot)

Yea this is me. I'm pretty sure this is the only reason I'm not a fatass. Fortunately, I actually really enjoy drinking water, but yes, I too desire carbonation occasionally. I mostly go with the cheap Walmart flavored fizzy water stuff which isn't too diety tasting. Never got into coffee so that's never been an issue.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I used to drink tons of soda, but quit for mostly economic reasons. I don't even like it much anymore. I'll get the occasional boutique soda, and rarely get one eating out. I might have 2/month as a yearly average.

I'd probably be a fatass too if I drank them the way I did. 88oz/day was the minimum, and sometimes more than that. I've always been active, but my metabolism took a shit with age. I was looking forward to my monthly weighing last week. I thought for sure I'd have lost some. I've been doing more, and eating less. Weight didn't budge. Still 225# :^/

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Water is so bland!!!! Soda and beer are my only vice. I drink diet soda 215 at 5'9" makes me a fat fu@# !!

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Man I'm starting to have pride in myself for doing without diet soda for this long with no cravings at all. I just make I have plenty of tea and other drinks on hand to keep me from walking over to 7-11 and getting any soda.:D:)

Reactions: snoopy7548

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Man I'm starting to have pride in myself for doing without diet soda for this long with no cravings at all. I just make I have plenty of tea and other drinks on hand to keep me from walking over to 7-11 and getting any soda.:D:)
You got this, man!