So I finally bought a Zippo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: duke
I've used Coleman's white gas, which is intended for my MSR camping stove, for my zippo and it works just fine.

I uses Ronsonal when I was smoking. Cheaper and better than zippo fluid. It used to come in a plastic yellow container.

Also works great on removing glue and adhesives

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: duke
I've used Coleman's white gas, which is intended for my MSR camping stove, for my zippo and it works just fine.

I uses Ronsonal when I was smoking. Cheaper and better than zippo fluid. It used to come in a plastic yellow container.

Also works great on removing glue and adhesives

:thumbsup:

seanws

Sep 20, 2004
Originally posted by: jumpr
I've always wanted a Zippo, but I just couldn't see spending $40 on one, which is what the basic ones cost at my local Army surplus store. I was at WalMart today though, and saw in the jewelry section that they had a Zippo display with a basic gray stainless model for $9.97! They had designer models for more $$ (the only one I specifically remember was a John Deere design for like $35).

I immediately scooped up the $9.97 one and bought it, but when I got home I realized that you have to fill it yourself, as the batting doesn't come soaked with lighter fluid from the factory (which makes sense, now that I think about it).

Anyway, where can I get fluid for the Zippo? I remember seeing replacement flints and wicks at WalMart, but I would have noticed bottles of fluid, which they definitely didn't have.

Would I get ripped off by a local smoke shop? Would K-Mart or Target have this?

at the walmart by me they have the bottles of lighter fluid by the registers next to the snickers bars.

Siva

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
zippo is no good for weed.

I have like 10 BICs scattered around my room.

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
Heh, I have like 8-10 Zippos....Marlboro has been giving them away free in bars for a couple years now. They have these girls walking around with a tablet PC, asking people 4-5 questions about smoking, and then give you a free zippo and coupons for a few bucks off cigs :D. I don't know what to do with them all - I don't even smoke!

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
zippo or ronsonol should be available at gas station or drug store.

I don't like zippos in the summer, they dry too fast.
But in the winter - it is the ultimate. It doesn't freeze like a BIC (bic stops working around -20, because butane becomes liquid @ 1bar rather than a gas); windproof [when you least want to deal with wind]; doesn't dry out for a long time.. easy to find with gloves on, etc.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: jumpr
Originally posted by: midwestfisherman
I use any type of lighter fluid in my zippo. It doesn't have to be the zippo brand. In my area you can find lighter fluid at most gorcery stores, pharmacies and of course any smoke shop.
So any lighter fluid works? Cool, that makes it a lot cheaper. But will it light just as well?

yes. stop being so fscking anal retentive

GRIFFIN1

Golden Member
Nov 10, 1999
just about any gas station / conevience store will have lighter fluid.

Ronsonol is the most common brand.

Some tips...

1. Don't fill the lighter to 101% capacity.
2. After you overfill the lighter, don't carry it in your pocket for several hours. The lighter fluid will leak and irritate the skin on your leg. It's sort of a minor burning feeling, but it doesn't cause any real damage.
3. After you overfill the lighter, and your hands and clothes are saturated with lighter fluid, don't light the lighter.
4. After several months, the lighter will stop making a spark. This means that the flint has been used up. Tell your friend to stop trying to light the lighter.

drum

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
Originally posted by: GRIFFIN1
just about any gas station / conevience store will have lighter fluid.

Ronsonol is the most common brand.

Some tips...

1. Don't fill the lighter to 101% capacity.
2. After you overfill the lighter, don't carry it in your pocket for several hours. The lighter fluid will leak and irritate the skin on your leg. It's sort of a minor burning feeling, but it doesn't cause any real damage.
3. After you overfill the lighter, and your hands and clothes are saturated with lighter fluid, don't light the lighter.
4. After several months, the lighter will stop making a spark. This means that the flint has been used up. Tell your friend to stop trying to light the lighter.

:thumbsup:
i always let it burn a few seconds after i refilled

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation
That's why zippos suck. Easier to spend 99 cents on something you can throw away than worrying about having to replace flints, wicks, and fluid every couple weeks.

99 cents on a lighter that sucks at being lit and will damn well burn your finger if you try to keep it lit for too long. Zippo is better than Bic, period.

You're a fvcking idiot, please stop posting and living for that matter.

So just because he thinks a Zippo is better he's an idiot?
Who's the idiot here?

:roll:

smith462

Sep 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Black88GTA
Heh, I have like 8-10 Zippos....Marlboro has been giving them away free in bars for a couple years now. They have these girls walking around with a tablet PC, asking people 4-5 questions about smoking, and then give you a free zippo and coupons for a few bucks off cigs :D. I don't know what to do with them all - I don't even smoke!

You don't know what to do with the Zippos? If you ever travel outside the U.S., take the lighters with you.

I've used them for taxi fare in both Haifa, Israel and Seoul, South Korea. Zippos typically cost a heck of a lot more overseas than they do here in the States. Trade a cheap enough Zippo, you can turn a taxi ride into a Hot Deal.

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
Originally posted by: smith462
Originally posted by: Black88GTA

You don't know what to do with the Zippos? If you ever travel outside the U.S., take the lighters with you.

I've used them for taxi fare in both Haifa, Israel and Seoul, South Korea. Zippos typically cost a heck of a lot more overseas than they do here in the States. Trade a cheap enough Zippo, you can turn a taxi ride into a Hot Deal.

:Q:Q Seriously?

/takes notes

I'll have to give that a shot. Well, next time I'm out of the country anyways.