So I bought a Camry awhile back... was I supposed to get like... you know... a key?

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
I don't think I ever got an actual key. All I think they gave me was 2 key "fobs". One died pretty quick the other one I can tell is low on batteries. Was I not supposed to get an actual key? How can I get in and start the car if the fobs die!?!?!

Thanks.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
With Lexus, the key is built into the keyfob and you push a piece and the key comes out. Not sure if Toyota does the same thing with their Toyota branded cars.

mine works like the one in this short video

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Audi fib's pull apart into a physical key / fob and click together when not needed.

You probably have a physical key and just don't know it.

Reactions: nakedfrog

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
When the battery suddenly died in my VW fob, I was able to start the car by holding the fob right next to a little panel on the steering column.
It does have the switchblade physical key bit, seems to only be usable for opening the door, if you pry off a little cover on the door handle.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
The key is in the FOB. That's how you unlock the car.

Touching the FOB to the start button will start the car even without a battery.

RTFM

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I imagine Camry uses basically the same system as the Prius. As others mentioned, there is a mechanical key inside the fob, push a button and it will slide out. As I recall that mechanical key is intended for emergencies.

Also, as others also mentioned, your problem is almost certainly a dead or dying battery. Mine use the coin shaped battery (2032) which you can buy at almost any drugstore, big box store, etc. Search on youtube for your year and model and you almost certainly will find a couple of excellent videos on how to open the fob and replace the battery. It's not hard. Alternatively you could take your fob to a Toyota dealer who will gladly charge you $100 or so to do it.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
This thread is why meme's such as this exist.

nib3uwmr5t271.jpg

The person in the factory that puts the owner's manual in the vehicle must feel as useless as the person in a BMW factory that installs the turn signals.

• Haha
Reactions: Thump553