So I am off to Wal-Mart to buy some cheap oil that is on sale and a Fram oil filter..

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Well, I changed my oil, oil filter, and air filter.

oil: supertec 10w30
oil filter: fram
air filter: fram

w00t

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: LordJezo

w00t
Oil: Not so bad...just don't let it go past 3k miles. SuperTech oil is made by Quaker State....just doesn't have as good of an additive package as QS.

Oil Filter: Your death man.

Air Filter: Not bad, but STP air filters are better and cost less. For the best possible get a Wix, K&N, or Baldwin

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Originally posted by: Howard
Fram x2 filters are very good. STP and Bosch oil filters are now constructed poorly. Go for Mobil 1, Amsoil, K&N, and the aforementioned Fram x2 (ONLY THE x2).

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml[/q

Well, good thing I find out about STP now. No wonder they were so cheap the last time I bought them. Time to go back to Honda OEM (Japanese made).

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: shinerburke

w00t
Oil: Not so bad...just don't let it go past 3k miles. SuperTech oil is made by Quaker State....just doesn't have as good of an additive package as QS.

Air Filter: Not bad, but STP air filters are better and cost less. For the best possible get a Wix, K&N, or Baldwin

I will say I am no pro mechanic, but I have done probably 200+ oil changes between my cars, my friends, my g/f's and families cars. I usually try to get Fram filters unless the vehicle calls for a special filter. I do not buy the cheap level, I try to get the mid or upper level ones (they definitely feel more substantial).

I have yet to have any more problem than an occasional bad gasket. I realize YMMV (no pun intended ;) ), but I must have really good luck. I also don't normally use synthetic unless on a high compression newer motor or turbo charged. Whether myth or not any time I or a friend has added synthetic to a older (50k+ miles) engine, oil consumption rises....sometimes leaks have resulted.

Å

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: shinerburke

w00t

I will say I am no pro mechanic, but I have done probably 200+ oil changes between my cars, my friends, my g/f's and families cars. I usually try to get Fram filters unless the vehicle calls for a special filter. I do not buy the cheap level, I try to get the mid or upper level ones (they definitely feel more substantial).

I have yet to have any more problem than an occasional bad gasket. I realize YMMV (no pun intended ;) ), but I must have really good luck. I also don't normally use synthetic unless on a high compression newer motor or turbo charged. Whether myth or not any time I or a friend has added synthetic to a older (50k+ miles) engine, oil consumption rises....sometimes leaks have resulted.

Å

Leaks or oil usage when switching to a full syn in a higher mileage vehicle is not unusual. The syns do a better job of cleaning and that first change they will clean out all sorts of garbage that has accumulated over the years. Normally after the second fill of syn you will be fine.

As for the filters....

Fram may feel substantial but their media is crap, the drainback valve is crap, their bypass valve is crap(so bad in fact that most of the time the filter is in bypass)and on 99% of their filters the upper cap(on the closed end) is made of carboard instead of metal. That cardboard starts to fall apart....bim bam boom...it's in your engine.

DrumminBoy

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2002
kinda ot, but is it ok to use the same filter for more than one oil change? I just put new oil in my car (92 civic, 190k) and I couldnt get the filter off, so I just left it on there. Is it ok to go two changes on it? (btw, I think its probably some generic filter, I got it with a free oil change 3 months ago)

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
so which filter is best to use at a reasonable price? I'm assuming from the replies of the thread STP but if they are now constructed poorly I don't want one in my car...

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: OREOSpeedwagon
so which filter is best to use at a reasonable price? I'm assuming from the replies of the thread STP but if they are now constructed poorly I don't want one in my car...
STP is still fine...still made by Champion Labs and still good quality. It's the Wal-Mart house brand, SuperTech, that is now questionable. Like I said earlier...they were made by Champion but lately I have read they have multiple suppliers now and quality varies from filter model to filter model.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DrumminBoy
kinda ot, but is it ok to use the same filter for more than one oil change? I just put new oil in my car (92 civic, 190k) and I couldnt get the filter off, so I just left it on there. Is it ok to go two changes on it? (btw, I think its probably some generic filter, I got it with a free oil change 3 months ago)

Absolutely not. If anything, it would be better to change your oil filter and leave your oil in there.

Any oil is worthless if it has solid particles in it. Your oil filter is probably pretty clogged.. It might even be bypassing, in which case it's basically like you do not have an oil filter.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000

Just drive a screwdriver through the filter to leverage it off. You don't want to reuse an oil filter.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: cavemanmoron
Originally posted by: Howard
Fram x2 filters are very good. STP and Bosch oil filters are now constructed poorly. Go for Mobil 1, Amsoil, K&N, and the aforementioned Fram x2 (ONLY THE x2).

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml[/q

Well, good thing I find out about STP now. No wonder they were so cheap the last time I bought them. Time to go back to Honda OEM (Japanese made).

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.
Click on the original link, not the one that looks all screwed up (and is screwed up).

DrumminBoy

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2002

Just drive a screwdriver through the filter to leverage it off. You don't want to reuse an oil filter.

Can I do this after I've filled it back up with oil? I'm guessing I can since the oil would be down in the oil pan and not above the filter right? btw...its a fram filter I bought :p

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Can I do this after I've filled it back up with oil? I'm guessing I can since the oil would be down in the oil pan and not above the filter right? btw...its a fram filter I bought :p
You should be able to, but you will most likely lose a bit of oil. Just make sure to check it afterwards and add any if needed.