Question So how much is the gpu market going to get screwed by the pandemic?

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Can't say this looks like a great time to buy a gpu, but also looks like this pandemic is going to really screw hardware supply. Kind of wonder if it makes sense to jump on a 2070 Super for $500 or 2060 Super for $400 today as much as I hate buying this late in a generation (especially such an overpriced generation), in case we don't get anything this year. Or if prices are completely jacked up by limited production and the supply chain being shut down for month(s) if we do get them. I was thinking of holding out for the next gen consoles instead of doing a PC upgrade (don't even have a gaming gpu in my system currently) but the way this virus is moving it looks like it'll really screw up manufacturing and global trade. Then again maybe the world just has to throw their hands up and say screw it, there's nothing that can be done to stop it so just business as normal and we just treat it like a really really bad flu season.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
If the pandemic gets bad enough to screw with the gpu market, you're going to have bigger problems like food and fuel and power and healthcare and security and Trump zombies. Get the picture?

This is not P&N.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: killster1

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
i already wear a full hazmatt suit everywhere i go, it clears the lines pretty quickly but its such a hassle to drive in. / eye roll just wait for the 3000 series come on u worried about gfx cards? what you rocking now? you just dying for more fps? such a funny thread thnx for the laugh.

Reactions: lightmanek

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
i already wear a full hazmatt suit everywhere i go, it clears the lines pretty quickly but its such a hassle to drive in. / eye roll just wait for the 3000 series come on u worried about gfx cards? what you rocking now? you just dying for more fps? such a funny thread thnx for the laugh.

GeForce 8400GS lol

If I'm going to die of this thing I at least want to get 60 fps in my last days tbh

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Also from the factory shutdowns and disruptions to shipping we have already had in China it sounds like we'll see shortages in a lot of consumer goods by April based on a couple of stories I was reading in the LA Times and Washington Post. Might be prime opportunity to buy a 2070 Super, play Control and Sekiro, and then in a month put it on ebay to price gouge.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Also from the factory shutdowns and disruptions to shipping we have already had in China it sounds like we'll see shortages in a lot of consumer goods by April based on a couple of stories I was reading in the LA Times and Washington Post. Might be prime opportunity to buy a 2070 Super, play Control and Sekiro, and then in a month put it on ebay to price gouge.
You're Trump's kind of people. Let's see, how can I profit from this pandemic? Hmmm.

This is not P&N.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
2080super should use 260 watts i bet u would be fine with your setup. (tho no idea what else you have going on)

2070 Super is enough for 1080p60 fps though with RTX high + DLSS in Control. Then again 2060 Super is too, but if I survive the year at least 2070 Super gets me close to XBox Series X performance while 2060 Super doesn't.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Well i thought i was a bit paranoid at the Best Buy using hand sanitizer after handling my new Asus monitor. The greeters at the door had a big bottle and of course since the monitor proudly proclaimed its made in china well i figured why not. That and well after clocking in like ballpark 12 hours of sleep in total since Monday the news that never shuts up about this Coronavirus obviously got to my head. Its a bit deal sure and well better safe then sorry,that and well i had other personal health issues i wasn't caring to spread. Not like those issues were serious,its just common sense to keep them hands clean.

I did ask the people at the door how things were moving and they more or less the same. I guess perhaps i went a bit off the deepend but oh well. Better safe then sorry and plus it became a massive habit staying at the va hospital around tons of elderly and stuff the last few days. They are a bit anal about cleaniness apparently there and well why not.

The oddest thing to be fair about this ops post is the fact the op is stuck with a 8400gs as a spare in 2020. I got a useless in 2020 gtx285, a gtx660 and a 4gb 960 as spares but sadly the 960 is stuck in a rig i loaned out.

Last edited:
  • Haha

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
The oddest thing to be fair about this ops post is the fact the op is stuck with a 8400gs as a spare in 2020. I got a useless in 2020 gtx285, a gtx660 and a 4gb 960 as spares but sadly the 960 is stuck in a rig i loaned out.

Well my Radeon 8500 won't work in a PCIE slot and my GTX 970 died a few months ago and I never replaced it since the gpu market has sucked since the introduction of Turing. So I'm stuck with my 8400 GS that I bought in 2008 for a non-gaming PC back when I only played games on console since my cpu has no ipgu (Xeon E3-1231v3).

Can't say I really need a gpu tbh since all I really want to play on PC are Control and Sekiro, Control for RTX + 60 fps and Sekiro for 60 fps. Still, I'm expecting big price increases on current hardware and delays for the next gen consoles and possible Ampere gpus. It doesn't even sound like we'll have the Olympics happen this year.

Last edited:

Bric

Oct 11, 2000
If your seriously looking and not set on one specific brand, I ran across this:

That's not a bad price for a 2070 Super. Not sure about the shipping though. HTH

Well my Radeon 8500 won't work in a PCIE slot and my GTX 970 died a few months ago and I never replaced it since the gpu market has sucked since the introduction of Turing. So I'm stuck with my 8400 GS that I bought in 2008 for a non-gaming PC back when I only played games on console since my cpu has no ipgu (Xeon E3-1231v3).

Can't say I really need a gpu tbh since all I really want to play on PC are Control and Sekiro, Control for RTX + 60 fps and Sekiro for 60 fps. Still, I'm expecting big price increases on current hardware and delays for the next gen consoles and possible Ampere gpus. It doesn't even sound like we'll have the Olympics happen this year.

RetroZombie

Nov 5, 2019
Can't say this looks like a great time to buy a gpu, but also looks like this pandemic is going to really screw hardware supply. Kind of wonder if it makes sense to jump on a 2070 Super for $500 or 2060 Super for $400 today as much as I hate buying this late in a generation
This kind of happenings normally makes the very old products still in stock in some stores, ... to get sold, like the hdd floods problem a few years ago, even the smaller and expensive models all got away.
The problem is if this keeps around for too long...

I would go for the cheaper one, you get the same limitations or advantages in both and when the 2060 super is 'obsolete' so is the 2070 super.

11 frames difference It's not even 10%:
Battlefield V GPU Frames Per Second Chart

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
This kind of happenings normally makes the very old products still in stock in some stores, ... to get sold, like the hdd floods problem a few years ago, even the smaller and expensive models all got away.
The problem is if this keeps around for too long...

I would go for the cheaper one, you get the same limitations or advantages in both and when the 2060 super is 'obsolete' so is the 2070 super.

11 frames difference It's not even 10%:
Battlefield V GPU Frames Per Second Chart

It's more like 17.5% at 4k in techpowerup's recent benchmarks they did for the 5600 XT review. So 17.5% more performance for 25% higher price. So you could kind of argue it either way, but what makes 2070S more compelling is it probably won't be a huge dropoff from the XBox Series X gpu like the 2060S would be. Probably still won't buy either since Cyberpunk isn't coming in April any more. But still very tempted.

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
If your seriously looking and not set on one specific brand, I ran across this:

That's not a bad price for a 2070 Super. Not sure about the shipping though. HTH

Sounded too good to be true. Then resellerratings makes me want to steer very clear:

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
If it’s anything like trying to find a CPU then hard screw. I had been looking for 1.5 weeks for a new one and both AMD and Intel were OOS everywhere. There were some sketchy places that said they were in stock though.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
If it’s anything like trying to find a CPU then hard screw. I had been looking for 1.5 weeks for a new one and both AMD and Intel were OOS everywhere. There were some sketchy places that said they were in stock though.
cough cough microcenter is SO Cheap for cpu's right now but also a bad time to purchase as the new ryzen and intel are so close to out.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Can't say I really need a gpu tbh since all I really want to play on PC are Control and Sekiro, Control for RTX + 60 fps and Sekiro for 60 fps. Still, I'm expecting big price increases on current hardware and delays for the next gen consoles and possible Ampere gpus.

Not a single game this year has got my attention, so prob sticking with my 7700k and 1080 ti. I am working on getting a new case and prob like a 2tb nvme. Save any cash perhaps for future upgrades maybe? Ok i kind of lied Cyberpunk may grab my attention but i will prob wait till reviews,make sure its not a broken disaster. After BF5,i am about done paying cash for half broken products.If Cyberpunk requires a cpu or both cpu and gpu upgrades,then i will have the funds saved already. :)

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Not a single game this year has got my attention, so prob sticking with my 7700k and 1080 ti. I am working on getting a new case and prob like a 2tb nvme. Save any cash perhaps for future upgrades maybe? Ok i kind of lied Cyberpunk may grab my attention but i will prob wait till reviews,make sure its not a broken disaster. After BF5,i am about done paying cash for half broken products.If Cyberpunk requires a cpu or both cpu and gpu upgrades,then i will have the funds saved already. :)

The Cyberpunk delay sucks. Back when Cyberpunk was coming out in April and Dying Light 2 in May it was simple, I was going to buy a 2060 Super or 2070 Super because I figured both of those games were going to be worth spending that kind of money on hardware. Now that Cyberpunk is coming out maybe 5-6 weeks before the next gen consoles I'm definitely leaning more towards PS5 or XBox Series X. But then I don't know if we'll even get the raytaced PC version of the game on PS5 or XBox SeX. Ultimately though I think I'll pass on a 2070 Super today because Control isn't worth spending $560 after tax for one of the EVGA cards and I could run Sekiro at 60 fps with an $80 used RX 570. Probably Resident Evil 3 too with how well I could run RE2 on my 970.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
The Cyberpunk delay sucks.

Like GTA V, i absolutely welcome a game taking longer then usual to come out especially if its a masterpiece at release. GTA V is the game of the decade,it came out flawless for me and always still more content coming out for it. With mods and trainers, absolutely the game of the decade with weather mods,god mode superman fly and jump and ray tracing like reflections.

I will have about $2,000 saved up by october for a new platform upgrade,new gpu and new case. Maybe a 512gb nvme if budget allows. :) Be good on stuff for maybe 3 years minimum? Worst case i keep on saving it up and when a game worthy comes out worthy of upgrading,then i upgrade to the latest at that particular point and time while possibly saving money as well when price wars perhaps begin.