So how much are the new hot games nowadays for the

sgtourism

May 13, 2022
XBOX

WII

PS5

How low do they fall to? And how long does it take?

For instance, PC games come out at about $40-50, but usually fall to $30 in a short time. And even fall to $10-20 after 1-2 years

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Huh? PC games come out at $60. Just went on Steam and Cyberpunk, Deathloop, Resident Evil Village, Halo Infinite (SP), Forza Horizon 5, Monster Hunter Rise are all $59.99. Don't know where this myth of PC games being cheaper than console comes from.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
XBOX

WII

PS5

How low do they fall to? And how long does it take?

For instance, PC games come out at about $40-50, but usually fall to $30 in a short time. And even fall to $10-20 after 1-2 years
Well, for a start, there hasn't been a Wii or Wii U console on sale for years... I think you mean the Switch. :p

I wouldn't say prices are directly comparable (it's not uncommon to see $60 console and PC games when new), but you do see steep price drops depending on the game and how long it has been since launch. Assassin's Creed Valhalla for PS4/PS5 is 60 percent off at the PlayStation Store several months after release, but a hot and more recent game like Elden Ring is still full price at last check.

Really, don't worry about game pricing. You buy a console for other reasons — because the overall cost is lower than a good gaming PC, for instance, or because you'd rather play in the living room than isolate yourself in a den. Me, I originally got into consoles to see what I was missing, but I've kept with them in part because it saves me from being chained to Windows PCs; I'm free to use a Mac.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
55 here and games were 50 bucks in the 80s. So, in nearly 40 years they went up 10 bucks.
That's a pretty good counter to inflation, I'd say!

Not to excuse any and all price increases, but it's also important to remember that you're probably milking a ton of value out of any one game. Let's say you buy a $60 blockbuster. Even if the campaign is 10 hours, that's $6 per hour... and that's not including multiplayer. Arguably a better value than movie tickets or a night on the town.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
That's a pretty good counter to inflation, I'd say!

Not to excuse any and all price increases, but it's also important to remember that you're probably milking a ton of value out of any one game. Let's say you buy a $60 blockbuster. Even if the campaign is 10 hours, that's $6 per hour... and that's not including multiplayer. Arguably a better value than movie tickets or a night on the town.
True. I've clocked 250 hours in elden ring and I plan on several playthroughs.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You gotta remember too there were a handful of $70-$80 games on SNES and N64 too because they used more memory than standard carts and it was expensive back then. You can physically feel it too because the cartridges are heavier than the standard sized games.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
You gotta remember too there were a handful of $70-$80 games on SNES and N64 too because they used more memory than standard carts and it was expensive back then. You can physically feel it too because the cartridges are heavier than the standard sized games.
I believe there were even pricy NES games. $50-60 back in 1985 was a good chunk of change to drop.

ASK THE COMMUNITY