So how do I know if I'm lifting correctly? doing the right exercises?

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
It's been a couple of years since I've steadily maintained a healthy weight-lifting regimen and I wanted to go back to doing some. I've been doing cardio 4 times a week for a little over a month and have dropped some nice pounds, but now I need to add some bulk.

Last time I lifted, I didn't really notice any results and was unsure why. I'm guessing it's some combination of doing the wrong things incorrectly.

so how does one know if he's lifting properly (right form) and lifting appropriately (right exercise at right times). How do I set up what my sets/reps are and at what weight? Also, do I continue cardio?

Baaahhh... i need a personal trainer

Apr 5, 2000
Results are a combination of lifting and nutrition - you can have the right tools for either or, but if you don't have the right tools for both you won't see very many results.

http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/max-ot_intro.asp

This is the program I've been following for about 2 months now - all my lifts have gone up and I can see the results clear as day in the mirror. Worth looking into imho

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
if you're sore in the morning you're doing something right ;)

if you're not sore, do more weights or more sets until you are =P

and PT's are pretty worthless unless you can find a good one...the ones I see @the gym I go to suck arse

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Angrymarshmello
Results are a combination of lifting and nutrition - you can have the right tools for either or, but if you don't have the right tools for both you won't see very many results.

This is the program I've been following for about 2 months now - all my lifts have gone up and I can see the results clear as day in the mirror. Worth looking into imho
thank you, I have signed up and will definitely check this out.

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
if you're sore in the morning you're doing something right ;)

if you're not sore, do more weights or more sets until you are =P

and PT's are pretty worthless unless you can find a good one...the ones I see @the gym I go to suck arse

IMHO, you have to be OMG sore for at least 4 days or else you're wasting your time.

BlazingSaddles

Jul 1, 2000
i would like to know too, i've been lifting 5 days a week for 3 weeks, hitting different sets of muscles each day, and my lifts have only gone up a little.

do you really need to feel it the next morning (and 3 days after) for lifting to be effective? i heard somewhere otherwise, but i don't know.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Form depends on the exercise. If you're doing something and it causes you serious joint pain, then either you're doing it wrong, or you need to switch exercises.

As far as number of reps/sets, it mainly depends on what your goals are. I'm guessing that you're aiming either for hypertrophy (an increase in muscle mass/size) and/or strength. The ideal program that I've been told for the former is one that aims for somewhere between 6 and 10 (IIRC) reps per set, and roughly 3 or 4 sets per exercise. The latter (strength training) requires you to add a bit more weight, and so the target rep count is between 4 and 8 with each set.

Also, you have to make sure that you're eating at least decently. Diet plays a pretty big role in the results that you'll obtain. Case in point: I was sitting at 155lbs for the first three years that I worked out. My maxes and such were increasing, but eventually reached a plateau, and I couldn't get them up for the life of me. I changed my diet and routine a bit (I was over training for a large part of the first two years), took a few breaks in between sessions, and unrestricted my food intake a bit (became more lax as far as unsaturated fats go). After a few months, I put on 10lbs and my lifts have all again begun to increase. Yay.

Edit: and yes, for the most part being sore the day after tells you that you've done your job. If you aren't sore, then generally your muscles weren't ripped/broken down/what have you well enough, and as such won't feel the need to rebuild themselves larger. If you're just starting out your weight training regimen, then as someone else mentioned, expect to be sore for a good three or four days. While one muscle group/set of groups is hurting, just focus on another.

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: BlazingSaddles
i would like to know too, i've been lifting 5 days a week for 3 weeks, hitting different sets of muscles each day, and my lifts have only gone up a little.

do you really need to feel it the next morning (and 3 days after) for lifting to be effective? i heard somewhere otherwise, but i don't know.

i only know what works for me (for powerlifting - click my sig).
i do 3 days/week, and 2 of those are killers.

expecting major increases after only 3 weeks isn't realistic, unless you're juiced.

Cal166

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Find a benching buddy and push it to the max.

Don't find one that talks too much. one of my friends goes to the gym, works out for 30mins and talks the rest of the time.

I usually spend atleast 1.5hrs-2hours.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Angrymarshmello

I can also attest to this program. My bench reps went up from 215 to 275 in a span of about 5-6 months, although one of the risks to lifting heavier is injury (hurt my elbow and had to take some time off). Also, even in your off week, be sure to keep up on your protein intake. I usually get 1-1.5g/lb bodyweight of protein a day! You basically need to change your lifestyle if you expect to see any results, i.e. taking supplements, counting calories, eating healthier, timing your meals, drinking a gallon of water a day, etc...