so how come COD Advanced Warfare runs no lower than 60 FPS on dual core intel?

john5220

Mar 27, 2014
I don't get it check out that video the guy is using a haswell Pentium G?

look at this video the guy even has VSYNC enabled and he never drops below 60 fps and if he drops its what 59.7 or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CYjoA-LMx2E

I don't get it Advanced Warfare is optimized for dual core or something? if so why does it say recommended requirements is a i5 2500k CPU?

this makes no sense, on another note Battlefield 3 and 4 runs like crap with 64 player servers on my pentium G 3220 haswell

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Looks to me as if they are trying to push the console version by making it look like it's too costly or complicated to upgrade for your average person to play the game on PC.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Call_of_Duty_Advanced_Warfare-test-cod_proz_amd.jpg

I'm surprised that a console port doesn't appear to scale with more cores.

The Intel Quad requirement is quite obviously bunk.

john5220

Mar 27, 2014
Or is it that these benchmarks are done with single player mode?

because I think BF3 dips badly on 64 player maps but runs fine on single player. hmmm
I wonder how many players advanced warfare supports for online?

The requirements for AW says recommended i5 2500k but this makes no sense, this game runs at full FPS on dual core budget CPU

john5220

Mar 27, 2014
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Call_of_Duty_Advanced_Warfare-test-cod_proz_amd.jpg

I'm surprised that a console port doesn't appear to scale with more cores.

The Intel Quad requirement is quite obviously bunk.

LOL WOW this is I dunno what to say.

Aren't consoles 8 core? and X86 AMD? I would expect AMD to be scoring high not an 8 core AMD scoring lower than a dual core intel LOL

I am feeling much better about my pentium G 3220 haswell purchase now. LOL i was worried and crying about not buying a FX 6300 and an AMD setup but now I am much more comfortable with my purchase.

Seems like I will run this game fine I will be waiting 2 or 3 years for its price to drop.

john5220

Mar 27, 2014
^ you know I noticed games like battlefield 4 etc while it needs 4 cores to play 64 player servers, if you have an i3 it will actually get same FPS like a i5 and i7.

Seems like due to the hyper threading the BF4 does not even care if its real cores or not it just seems to want 2 extra cores even if its slow virtual to run the extra set of instructions and processing.

Even with the weak Hyper threading of an i3, the FPS jumps up from 25 FPS of a pentium to about 60 fps with just 2 HT alone.

Quite interesting infact the i3 at stock runs better than a unlocked Pentium OC to 4.5 GHZ.

Can we then assume a i3 4150 haswell is a better buy than a FX 6300 AMD for gaming? heck the i3 costs $20 bucks more to begin with.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
^ you know I noticed games like battlefield 4 etc while it needs 4 cores to play 64 player servers, if you have an i3 it will actually get same FPS like a i5 and i7.

Seems like due to the hyper threading the BF4 does not even care if its real cores or not it just seems to want 2 extra cores even if its slow virtual to run the extra set of instructions and processing.

Even with the weak Hyper threading of an i3, the FPS jumps up from 25 FPS of a pentium to about 60 fps with just 2 HT alone.

Quite interesting infact the i3 at stock runs better than a unlocked Pentium OC to 4.5 GHZ.

Can we then assume a i3 4150 haswell is a better buy than a FX 6300 AMD for gaming? heck the i3 costs $20 bucks more to begin with.

I feel it is, but you can overclock an FX-6300 and often get 25% more out of them. I'd call the i3 a solid win for gaming if they were the same price, but I feel there is argument to be made for the FX due to price differences and overclocking potential. It depends also on what games you're looking to run, and if you already have an AM3 board you can drop an FX in, without an entire platform upgrade.

Last edited:

john5220

Mar 27, 2014
^ the thing about me I am not an OC person at all. And to OC a FX 6300 you would need more than those $45 budged mainboards I tend to use right?

I also concerned about electrical bill aswell as i don't wanna run my light bill too high for cause more pressure on my parents you know and I bet OCing those AMD has huge jump in current.

As it currently stands I believe buying an i3 4150 3.5 GHZ and dropping it in my current cheapo ECS 1150 mainboard is the best bet for me. And I can just sell back my pentium G, but right now as it stands my pentium G seems to be performing for what I need.

the benchmarks alone that you posted proves this. even with OC FX 6300 its still no match for i3 in most games. Its as if the architecture of the i3 is light years ahead of that of AMD.

But I would like to wait for broadwell if I get 5 to 10% boost in the broadwell 1150 socket i3 I would be a little happier with that you know?

cause sandy bridge to ivy did bring some performance improvements right?

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
I think that the Sandy -> Ivy -> Haswell IPC progression did have IPC improvement and the additional ports in the Haswell architecture make the Hyperthreading on the latest i3s much closer to the performance of real physical cores. There are quite a few games/apps where performance of the i3-4330 is within 10% of the stock speed i5-2500k (which it needs to be remembered is much lower that the clocks that many overclockers set for 24/7 use). I suspect that they recommend the i5-2500 as a minimum spec just because it is much more common than the i3.

john5220

Mar 27, 2014
I just found out that advanced warfare only does a max of 18 players online.

this means I don't even have to buy that i3 as yet, I can comfortably wait for broadwell or for the i3 prices to drop a bit in the coming years. because of only 18 players it means my pentium G will run this game butter smooth and now I can spend the money more wisely on a new video card a R9 270 or GTX 760.

My plans have changed I am buying advanced warfare and am no longer interested in dayZ. I usually play a call of duty title for 3 years straight.

So I am a happy pappy now.

john5220

Mar 27, 2014
I think that the Sandy -> Ivy -> Haswell IPC progression did have IPC improvement and the additional ports in the Haswell architecture make the Hyperthreading on the latest i3s much closer to the performance of real physical cores. There are quite a few games/apps where performance of the i3-4330 is within 10% of the stock speed i5-2500k (which it needs to be remembered is much lower that the clocks that many overclockers set for 24/7 use). I suspect that they recommend the i5-2500 as a minimum spec just because it is much more common than the i3.

Since I don't need to upgrade CPU anymore with advanced warfare being so well optimized for intel, I will wait patiently for the fastest and best i3 haswell to have sale price.

it tends to happen sometimes they go super low for like a few hours. I see it happen all the time on Amazon. So I will wait patiently for the fastest i3 haswell its the 4330? yeah that one when it goes cheap I will snatch it up.

cause I am in no hurry.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
An i5 is the no-compromises chip, if you can afford it, and will probably outlast an i3 as CPU requirements increase over the years. If you hold onto your PCs for years, an i5 is worth the extra cost.

Today, an i3 is a great chip for the cost. I really don't see many sales on them, you might save $10 but Intel processor prices are pretty stable.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
^ the thing about me I am not an OC person at all. And to OC a FX 6300 you would need more than those $45 budged mainboards I tend to use right?

I also concerned about electrical bill aswell as i don't wanna run my light bill too high for cause more pressure on my parents you know and I bet OCing those AMD has huge jump in current.

Yeah overclocking is a no go on cheaper AMD boards due to the increased current, but it shouldn't have too much of an effect on elec bills when you consider that even though the current may be high in the chip itself, because the voltages and wattage is changed at the PSU and VRM levels, from the wall it's likely to be less than 2A for your entire system including monitor and possibly speakers.

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
He's also running an older nvidia card, probably has some stuff turned down.

LnIRg44r.jpg

Game runs above 60 on pretty much any cpu. He's recording with shadowplay, so that won't cause an fps drop either.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Didn't Ghosts run horribly on any CPU? Guess the two games were probably done by different developers though.

john5220

Mar 27, 2014
^ Ghosts and Black Ops 1 were the two worst ports in history of COD or history of gaming as a matter of fact.

You need an i7 just to run black ops 1 which is a very outdated looking game on DX 9.

Black Ops 2 would run flawless on the crappiest dual core CPU, Advanced Warfare is a much better game than Ghosts however it still has tons of bad reviews on steam users.

I think blackops 2 still remains the best COD to date and still has a really big online player base infact BO2 has way more online users than Ghosts.

Well the 2 best COD games for PC are the Original COD 4 and Black Ops 2 thats about it really.. Almost all of them are the same game that activision keeps publishing every year with new maps if you look at it carefully.

Last edited:

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009

You can OC to a point where you dont use more power than default(or just a bit more). At that low OC you dont even need a bigger heat-sink or bigger PSU or even higher-end motherboard. And you also get a nice performance boost on top of that ;)

example bellow,

x264-HD-5.0.jpg

x264-HD-5.0-Energy-Consumption.jpg

or gaming

Thief-720p-low.jpg

Thief-720p-low-Power-Consumption.jpg

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
^ Those gaming benchmarks are using integrated graphics.

I can't speak for your board specifically, OP, but if you don't have a multiplier-unlocked CPU, you can usually only get 3-6% from b-clock overclocking. Unlocked Intel chips will often top out around 4.4GHz without large voltage increases, give or take a few hundred mhz depending on how lucky you are.

Last edited:

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
I was trying to point out that in that article, those gains were achieved by overclocking both the CPU and the iGPU.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
How do they get this to run on the modern consoles?

On the old relics they strip everything down from draw distance to textures to bullet decals to physics. On the new relics just a nip and tuck.