So... has anyone tried the new Windows 11 yet? :)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Yeah, the context menu is a bit annoying, a lot of time you need to click more options to get the complete menu.

Here is how to ring back the task manager

Untitled.png

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yeah, the context menu is a bit annoying, a lot of time you need to click more options to get the complete menu.

Here is how to ring back the task manager

View attachment 46628
You can still right click the start icon to get to the task manager as well. Its not a big issue at all, its just that there are loads of annoying little issues.

It kinda feels like Microsoft need to have an option in settings to have an "advanced" setting for the UI and a "pretty" setting. That way if you want all the old options easily available you can choose that and Microsoft still get to ship Windows looking pretty but dumb.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I'm okay-ish with it. Haven't noticed any major crashing problems or performance issues. Somehow it managed to update without hosing my GPU driver install (Radeon VII) which is really nice. Have to see if MorePowerTool still works in Win11 . . .

Huh! Looks like it does.

edit: I have noticed a bug where right-clicking on a taskbar item and then veering away from the context menu leaves the context menu floating around for a bit. Hard to get rid of it actually, if you don't click something on the menu.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
OK. Found the reason why MS is changing the behavior of Context Menu. Don't really know if anyone can find a way to change it back.

Okay, fair enough. It is better for average Joe but not for power users. I choose what context menu options I want, not MS. So I hope there will be a workaround to force the full menu instead.

And they need to get rid of all the touch/tablet enchantments on a desktop. If you can't do it properly, don't do it at all. If I want a touch oriented UI, I'll get an iPad. K, thanx.

Windows 8 UI = Epic Fail
Windows 10 UI = Semi Fail
Windows 11 UI = Kinda Fail
Windows Vista/7 = Win.

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
is the wifi networks window still some tiny postage stamp hidden to the bottom right? i have a ginormous screen, hiding stuff in little windows in the corners is annoying.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
is the wifi networks window still some tiny postage stamp hidden to the bottom right? i have a ginormous screen, hiding stuff in little windows in the corners is annoying.

Yes. Basically. It's actually a button with your sound and network settings. It's . . . different.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
WARM features JIT translation which is at maybe 50-70% performance. You'd have to ask some of the people running 8cx/SQ1 laptops for more info.

Reactions: mxnerd

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
What in the heck? That's been a staple feature, since like, Win95?

NT4 dude :) Who remembers what task management in Win9x looked like?

220px-Win98_Close_Program_Dialog.PNG

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
NT4 dude :) Who remembers what task management in Win9x looked like?

220px-Win98_Close_Program_Dialog.PNG
lol, I do. I have a Windows Me machine next to me. That's about the only Task Manager you get in Win9x. Often times you get a blue screen of death after messing with it. I prefer the restart button, saves a lot of time too.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
OK, some info regarding Win11 for ARM and Office for ARM

We had Surface RT with Windows 8 ARM version, I actually liked it. This is more of the same. We need Apple silicon for Windows ARM version to really take off! I absolutely hate those 45 watts+++ CPUs they've been putting in laptops (this was cool in 2011 but not in 2021). 24h+++ battery life is a must.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Dear lord, I hadn't noticed the little underlines beneath currently running apps a la OSX until now. That's aside from the KDE Start menu...

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I've just been playing around with a new install of Win11. My thoughts so far:

The new File Explorer toolbar is clean-looking, IMO an improvement over a fair few versions of Windows (inc Win10, which wasted loads of space with the cluttered ribbon with an 'all or nothing' approach).

It took me a while to find an easily-accessible Task Manager option (right-click Start > Task Manager). I suppose it makes sense to take it off the taskbar context menu because Task Manager literally has nothing to do with the taskbar.

Start: Microsoft, for the love of god make up your mind, or (heaven forbid), allow users to pick their own start menu without having to resort to third party software.

Which leads me on to customisation, which is where Windows has been going downhill for some time. Win10 inexplicably wouldn't allow the user to customise the main UI colour theme in the 'light' theme, yet did with the 'Dark' theme. Now with Win11 the user can't customise either except through themes.

Also, the taskbar label (plus disable window grouping) option has disappeared entirely. Was there a good reason (as far as the user is concerned) to make it disappear? I somewhat doubt it.

MS is also pushing the 'auto tray icons' feature and I can now only choose which ones are always visible, as opposed to making them all visible. Again, good reason for it? I doubt it.

I could understand the lack of customisation options if Windows was a small-time OS with a very niche audience along with a small budget/dev team. It's completely absurd for Windows, which has literally billions of users, to decide that "one size fits all".

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
For most users, there is no reason to upgrade now. No benefit I can think of except maybe for Alder Lake users. That may change in the future.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
For most users, there is no reason to upgrade now. No benefit I can think of except maybe for Alder Lake users. That may change in the future.

Do you lose a lot of performance if you stay with Windows 10 if your a Alder Lake user ?