So... filling a watermelon with vodka?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Originally posted by: pontifex
i'm not a drinker, but this sounds good. although, i've had vodka (straight up) before and thought it tasted nasty as hell, like rubbing alcohol. i think it was smirnoff.

i'm not sure how rubbing alcohol and watermelon goes to together though.

Smirnoff isn't the worst vodka you can buy, but it's close.

I disagree. I am not saying it's quality but for something like this it is fine. Although my favorite mid-range vodka is Polar Ice. It's very cheap ($20 for a 1.75 on sale) and it's just as good as smirnoff imo. It is Canadian but I try not to hold that against it :D.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
i'm not a drinker, but this sounds good. although, i've had vodka (straight up) before and thought it tasted nasty as hell, like rubbing alcohol. i think it was smirnoff.

Hmm I'm not too sure about that. Smirnoff might not taste great, but I'll drink it any day of the week over the bottom shelf 6 dollar a handle crap.

fLum0x

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
if i am not mistaken, we called this a hairy buffalo growing up.

errr...maybe that was when we mixed all the alcohol people brought and put it in a fruit bowl...i forget.

kyzen

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2005
www.chrispiekarz.com
Originally posted by: jman19

Hmm I'm not too sure about that. Smirnoff might not taste great, but I'll drink it any day of the week over the bottom shelf 6 dollar a handle crap.

qft

I'm also quite OK with vanilla smirnoff and coke

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: thepd7

I disagree. I am not saying it's quality but for something like this it is fine. Although my favorite mid-range vodka is Polar Ice. It's very cheap ($20 for a 1.75 on sale) and it's just as good as smirnoff imo. It is Canadian but I try not to hold that against it :D.

Yes, Smirnoff is perfectly acceptable for this or mixing, but not drinking straight. I don't think pontifex should base his opinion of straight vodka on Smirnoff.
And AFAIK, the only vodkas worse than Smirnoff are things like Skol, Vladimir, McCormick, etc. But I usually buy McCormick and mix it with soda.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We used to do this for camping trips...cut a plug out of one end, Stick a fifth of decent vodka into the opening, turn melon so the bottle is straight up, and let it drain overnight. Replace the plug, stick it in an ice chest, then enoy when the time is right...(Keep the kids out of this one! Buy them their OWN melon.)

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
First ... cut a hole in the melon :music:

We usually put it in a sink full of ice and let it sit at least 12 hours. A 5th of vodka will work for a small melon

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
When I was coming up, we made our fruit punch or watermelon with Everclear. Sometimes we used a watermelon, but usually we just filled a cooler with grapes, strawberries, cherries, cut up apple pieces, orange slices, and so on; and then dump in a bottle of grain and let it sit for a few hours before the party. Toss a ladle in there and put some plastic cups out and you're done.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: doze

We usually put it in a sink full of ice and let it sit at least 12 hours. A 5th of vodka will work for a small melon
Two... put your junk in that melon :music:

kyzen

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2005
www.chrispiekarz.com
Originally posted by: clamum
Originally posted by: doze

Two... put your junk in that melon :music:

Three... have her open the melon :music:

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: leftyman
I just swig from the bottle then take a large bite out of the melon.

I just drink vodka and leave the melon and sweet stuff at the grocery store.

Then again, I'm a heterosexual male.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: jdini76
I have done this. What I did was set the watermelon on a large tray so it sat upright on its own. then cut a hole in the top. then placed the vodka bottle in the hole and let it soak for two whole days. Each day the vodka level in the bottel sank a little.

I have a picture of what I did, but for some reason Yahoo photos seems to have disapeared from yahoo main page.

Edit: got to yahoo photos directly weird the link is gone from main page.
Pic

:thumbsup:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
DONT USE VODKA

use grain alc, mix it with frui punch
make melon balls
core out wateemelon, incert melon balls
soak
profit