So far, so good...        :)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: RaySun2Be

You embody the true spirit of this team, and there are a LOT of members who can attest to your caring, your unselfishness, and willingness to help teammates.

I am honored to call you friend and TeAm mate! :)

Agreed! You've always been willing to help me out! :)

Thanks mech!

Viztech

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Congrats Mech!

As a Project Total Eclipse participant and benefactor, I can certainly relate to your first post in this thread.

Cheers!

viz

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: LyNx01
Originally posted by: jliechty
Congrats on your milestones, mechBgon. :D

BTW, what the nef is a "P.T.E. dump"? I've not been around here long enough to know anything about that. :eek:

Same here, please explain :)

You must never know; my reputation is at sake.:p

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
w00t, we've got ViRGE's reputation at our mercy now!! :evil:

Ok, about Project Total Eclipse: in 1999, I was working on the RC5-64 project, and so were a lot of the other TA DC'ers. It was the Team's #1 project at the time.

We were on IRC on December 25th 1999, and Jay suggested that we should crack a bunch of RC5-64 blocks in secret, using ViRGE's email address, and then make a huge surprise dump :Q I forget precisely why we decided to victimize ViRGE in particular :D

On Dec. 26th, we began crunching for this project, which I eventually dubbed Project Total Eclipse once we decided that our goal was to make the dump SO big that ViRGE would end up being the #1 RC5-64 producer for the day... bigger than whole universities, bigger than anyone! :D

If I recall correctly, we dumped our secret stash of 283000 blocks on Jan. 16th, and succeeded in making ViRGE #1 for the day. But the fun part is that ViRGE had no idea where it came from. If you need a laugh, you owe it to yourself to read the mIRC conversation that followed... and you can find it right here :D It's a riot, because the perpetrators don't tell ViRGE where all the blocks came from for quite a while, so he's cruelly strung along and ends up sincerely thinking a rival RC5-64 team has conspired to frame him as a cheater, with disqualification as a likely consequence :D I was Internet-challenged at the time when the dump occurred, but was cracking at home and flushing my blocks from work :) DStroth emailed me the logs afterwards, bless his heart...

Here's a teaser from the logs, just a tiny snippet:
<BurntKooshie> ViRGE, what did you do?
<jator> Really, did someone crack the client?
<BurntKooshie> seriously
<ccalvert> No kidding.
<Lord_Demios> Maybe the Union Of Cracking GOds are trying to frame you?
<ccalvert> It is a distint possibility.
<BurntKooshie> that's unfathomable for you to do that
<ccalvert> Or /. !
<jator> We can get in a lot of trouble if someone did on our team!
<BurntKooshie> i know!
<ccalvert> Yeah.
<ViRGE> I don't know, but I didn't have anything to do with that
<BurntKooshie> ViRGE, what'd you do!
<Lord_Demios> Or if they covered their tracks and made it look like ViRGE
<ViRGE> I wish I knew
<hutch> Yeah, probably /.
<ViRGE> I'll post on the BBS and ask what's up
<Lord_Demios> 271 THOUSAND blocks is not easy to hide!!!! /. want's our ass
<ccalvert> They probably figure that it is the only way to beet us in the long run.
<jator> Virge, you probably should e-mail Dnet about this!
We ran six P.T.E.'s if I recall correctly, with the victims being ViRGE, DMcOwen (although I don't know if he ever noticed), JonB, Slahr_Dzhe, and I seem to recall we did one for Netopia, and the last one was aimed at me, which is why I mentioned it here ;) ViRGE's was the granddaddy, the only one that literally eclipsed all other participants and hit #1 for the dump-day.

Now what is this NEF accusation? :Q;) I accumulated the majority of my posts helping people troubleshoot their balky mobo/CPU/memory/etc, so that 5-digit post count has definitely been earned :D Ok ok, I indulge in a mild NEF once in a long while... ;)

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Mech, one of these days I'm going to have to come up there with a big magnet just to erase those log files once and for all.:p

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Mech, one of these days I'm going to have to come up there with a big magnet just to erase those log files once and for all.:p
LOL! :D

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: mechBgon
w00t, we've got ViRGE's reputation at our mercy now!! :evil:

Ok, about Project Total Eclipse: in 1999, I was working on the RC5-64 project, and so were a lot of the other TA DC'ers. It was the Team's #1 project at the time.

We were on IRC on December 25th 1999, and Jay suggested that we should crack a bunch of RC5-64 blocks in secret, using ViRGE's email address, and then make a huge surprise dump :Q I forget precisely why we decided to victimize ViRGE in particular :D

On Dec. 26th, we began crunching for this project, which I eventually dubbed Project Total Eclipse once we decided that our goal was to make the dump SO big that ViRGE would end up being the #1 RC5-64 producer for the day... bigger than whole universities, bigger than anyone! :D

If I recall correctly, we dumped our secret stash of 283000 blocks on Jan. 16th, and succeeded in making ViRGE #1 for the day. But the fun part is that ViRGE had no idea where it came from. If you need a laugh, you owe it to yourself to read the mIRC conversation that followed... and you can find it right here :D It's a riot, because the perpetrators don't tell ViRGE where all the blocks came from for quite a while, so he's cruelly strung along and ends up sincerely thinking a rival RC5-64 team has conspired to frame him as a cheater, with disqualification as a likely consequence :D I was Internet-challenged at the time when the dump occurred, but was cracking at home and flushing my blocks from work :) DStroth emailed me the logs afterwards, bless his heart...

We ran six P.T.E.'s if I recall correctly, with the victims being ViRGE, DMcOwen (although I don't know if he ever noticed), JonB, Slahr_Dzhe, and I seem to recall we did one for Netopia, and the last one was aimed at me, which is why I mentioned it here ;) ViRGE's was the granddaddy, the only one that literally eclipsed all other participants and hit #1 for the dump-day.

Good snipet of the good ol days. It looks like you guys did the PTE on me well after I got the Criminal suspension letter from the College when I came back from Christmas break on January 11th. I never looked at the DNET stats page after that. Thanks for the Good Will and intentions guys. If you wondered why the PTE had little or no affect on my Stats was because they turned off the transmission of the DNET blocks through the Firewall and also went around and hit the delete key on the machines which don't forget they said was the hardest and most expensive thing the State ever had to do relating to Computers.

You know, come to think of it since I wasn't there obviously, I bet instead of simply hitting the delete key, knowing the State I bet they either wiped out the hard drive on each machine and started over causing a massive headache for all those people or physically changed the hard drives out throwing out the drives thinking they were somehow contaminated or something.
rolleye.gif

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
I see you held off over 48 hours just to make me wrong .... :p :D

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Hey Mech ,me & Cat haven't had a good fragging session with you in a while ,ready for some whipping?;)

Congrats on your MMs btw:)

Wolfie

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Bwahahaha Man, congrats Tom. You started the DC team and RC5 just before I did. And I walked in the middle of that whole thing over on IRC. I thought it was great. And to think that we have stuck threw some of the worst and best of times here on anandtech. But it's all been great. Again, Congrats Tom.

ViRGE
Mech will never lose the logs. I bet he has thousands of backups of that log. It will never die. :D

Wolfie

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: bot2600
Hi Tom! :D
Hello! :)

And hello to the rest of you also... wow, nice to see Clueless pop to the surface! :cool:

And JonB and Polo, a couple more fine fellows who greeted me when I first started... :cool:

And RaySun2Be, whose "Hey KingHam!" threads were a source of many chuckles...

and Wolfie, who has all my RC5-64 blocks under his name now :D

...and whoa, I just noticed viztech's post! Where've you been, Ken? :D I still live in fear of going anywhere near Indiana for fear you'll make me marry your niece or something :Q;)

...and Jay, the Grand Instigator of P.T.E. (formerly known as Jator, for those of you reading the mIRC logs :))

...and Assimilator1, I will get you yet, me and my mad l33t Lime-Jello Gun are coming to get you at the first opportunity. The criminal always returns to the scene of the slime! :p;)

...and DanC, who sweet-talked me into that Borg Guy icon and subsequently caused a Borgalanche (well, maybe dennilfloss had more to do with the Borgalanche :D).

I should just rename this the old-timers' thread, I see several more folks from way back too :D

compudog

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2001
mech, congrats on the milestones! Whether you realize it or not, you have been a help to me many times over. Your truly are l33t!

Jay

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Technically mech, someone else came up with the idea of crunching for ViRGE, I just suggested that we horde the blocks for a few weeks. Many thanks to bphantom for setting up the pproxy for most of the PTEs. ;)

Clueless

Oct 9, 1999
Hey there HeavyIron! From under what "rock" did you crawl out? ;)

And hello to the rest of you, old and new timers! Sorry I don't know you half as well as I should like....and I like less than half of you old timers half as well as you deserve! ;)

Viztech

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
and whoa, I just noticed viztech's post! Where've you been, Ken? I still live in fear of going anywhere near Indiana for fear you'll make me marry your niece or something

/me was wondering if I got noticed....:Q

Still here in IOWA mech.

As for the sis-in-law, I think you're too late! :)

viz