So did EA pull a UBI with BF3?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
To be honest, I am not thrilled by always needing an internet connection for games, but let us be honest, this game is all about the multiplayer, so it isn't a big a deal as others, but again, I do not like this growing trend at all.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
i actually like the SP, mostly for the jaw dropping graphics (play in ultra). MP is just too chaotic for me & needs some patching right now, except Co-op, love co-op.:)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
To be honest, I am not thrilled by always needing an internet connection for games, but let us be honest, this game is all about the multiplayer, so it isn't a big a deal as others, but again, I do not like this growing trend at all.

no, this is inexcusable. if there is SP then they have to let you play it offline.

penske2298977

Sep 5, 2005
no, this is inexcusable. if there is SP then they have to let you play it offline.

Actually, as I noted above, it appears that you can play SP "offline" -- at least I could after re-installing Origin and the game this morning. Now I can bypass Battlelog and go right to the SP campaign (offline).

However, one thing I have not tried yet is yanking out my connection while the game is supposedly up and running in "offline" mode -- will try that when I get home and see what happens.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Now that we know the answer is "no", time to change the subject line?

penske2298977

Sep 5, 2005
Now that we know the answer is "no", time to change the subject line?

Still not fully convinced though that the answer is no in that I think Origin has to phone home first and then it lets you go offline? --- not sure about that yet. But that would still be UBI-like.

penske2298977

Sep 5, 2005
Just tried the following:

Origin does indeed need to phone home first. Only then can you go offline. Once you are offline you can physically disconnect from the internet and play the game.

At least Steam gives you the option to start up in offline mode...so I think EA has pulled a bit of a Ubi with respect to the SP aspect of BF3.

J-Money

Feb 9, 2003
Switch Origin to offline mode then launch it. Should work just like a normal game.

At least according to RPS.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
It is a shitty move. I wouldn't have bought it on this alone if I wasn't buying the game for multiplayer only. Since I will never play the single player this wont effect me. The only single player I would play is if I could basically play the multi maps with bots so I can learn to fly heli/jets lol

J-Money

Feb 9, 2003
It is a shitty move. I wouldn't have bought it on this alone if I wasn't buying the game for multiplayer only. Since I will never play the single player this wont effect me. The only single player I would play is if I could basically play the multi maps with bots so I can learn to fly heli/jets lol

If RPS is right (and the comments on that article say it is) then all the complaining is for nothing though since it is 100% available offline.

I'll try it when I get home if noone else does before then.

J-Money

Feb 9, 2003
Just tried the following:

Origin does indeed need to phone home first. Only then can you go offline. Once you are offline you can physically disconnect from the internet and play the game.

At least Steam gives you the option to start up in offline mode...so I think EA has pulled a bit of a Ubi with respect to the SP aspect of BF3.

I got the same. You have to login to Origin to be able to put it in offline mode. No internet connecton = no login.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

ah, so it's ok only when it doesn't affect you?

not what I've been hearing from other threads railing against DRM.
Even people who say it's ok because they have always on internet connection get bashed because there are people who don't have that ability. Or what about when you travel?

typical atot double standard or is it just a BF fanboy thing?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
ah, so it's ok only when it doesn't affect you?

not what I've been hearing from other threads railing against DRM.
Even people who say it's ok because they have always on internet connection get bashed because there are people who don't have that ability. Or what about when you travel?

typical atot double standard or is it just a BF fanboy thing?

I'm no BF3 fanboy, so why don't you just settle the fuck down. You seem to have a mission to target anyone who enjoys the damn series cause you don't like it and most people knock on your beloved CoD so much. I was one of the more outspoken people at the beginning of the beta for BF3 for NOT liking it with having to play that horrible Metro in Rush mode. Once I got to play conquest on Caspian Border only then did my opinion change. But I still have issues with stuff in the game and have had no problem voice my dislike for such things.

I can't take the single player in BF3 seriously, the series is not a single player experience, they only tacked it on to appease the masses and the fact that a console game without a real single player (no matter how short or crappy) hurts sales. Going into buying BF3, it was the same mindset as any multiplayer only game and I accepted that.

This isn't a game where the single player is part of some big story line and actually truely fleshed out, this was a tacked out experience that any fan on the franchise knows isn't worth your time. I rather have bots as I said above so I could practice.

Also, no use discussing it anymore as it seems someone jumped the gun saying you needed to be online to play the single player anyways.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I'm no BF3 fanboy, so why don't you just settle the fuck down. You seem to have a mission to target anyone who enjoys the damn series cause you don't like it and most people knock on your beloved CoD so much.

:thumbsup:

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
I'm no BF3 fanboy, so why don't you just settle the fuck down. You seem to have a mission to target anyone who enjoys the damn series cause you don't like it and most people knock on your beloved CoD so much. I was one of the more outspoken people at the beginning of the beta for BF3 for NOT liking it with having to play that horrible Metro in Rush mode. Once I got to play conquest on Caspian Border only then did my opinion change. But I still have issues with stuff in the game and have had no problem voice my dislike for such things.

I can't take the single player in BF3 seriously, the series is not a single player experience, they only tacked it on to appease the masses and the fact that a console game without a real single player (no matter how short or crappy) hurts sales. Going into buying BF3, it was the same mindset as any multiplayer only game and I accepted that.

This isn't a game where the single player is part of some big story line and actually truely fleshed out, this was a tacked out experience that any fan on the franchise knows isn't worth your time. I rather have bots as I said above so I could practice.

Also, no use discussing it anymore as it seems someone jumped the gun saying you needed to be online to play the single player anyways.

I remember a long time ago he did the same thing with Crysis or something. Just went into every thread to voice his dislike and wanted to argue with people regardless if he had a valid point or not.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I remember a long time ago he did the same thing with Crysis or something. Just went into every thread to voice his dislike and wanted to argue with people regardless if he had a valid point or not.

I don't go into every thread and voice my dislike. So if I have a valid point I can't argue it because it against something that you like? Seem to be about par for these forums.