So.. Counter Strike isn't a free add-on anymore?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I played CS years ago - not professionally mind you, but whatever. What the hell happened to it? CS:Source isn't free... and of course the old mods don't work with HL2 do they?

Bah...

DukeFan21

Jan 15, 2002
Um, if I remember correctly, CS:S is free with HL2...just like the original CS was free with the original Half-Life. I guess the original CS isn't free with HL2 though.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
CS 1.6 is free with HL2, at least it was with mine. Technically not free because I had to buy HL2, but I would have bought HL2 regardless of free add-on games so it was a good deal.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: DukeFan21
Um, if I remember correctly, CS:S is free with HL2...just like the original CS was free with the original Half-Life. I guess the original CS isn't free with HL2 though.

I have HL2, I don't have CS:S.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: SunnyD

huh, thats odd. It was on the same install disk as HL2 for me...

computeerrgghh

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2005
Originally posted by: SunnyD

Did you get HL2 through Orange Box? Sadly, I don't think CS:S access is included with Orange Box. I don't have it either.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
CS:S was included when HL2 was originally released, but not the Orange Box.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
everyone charges money for mods nowadays, its quite rediculous. valve effectively killed CS and other popular HL mods by buying out the most popular ones and then charging for it.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: randay
everyone charges money for mods nowadays, its quite rediculous. valve effectively killed CS and other popular HL mods by buying out the most popular ones and then charging for it.

CS is alive and well. If Valve "killed" it, I wish other Games would get the death knell from Valve too. That would sell millions of copies of UT3 I'd wager.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Originally posted by: I4AT
Counterstrike stopped being free once Valve bought it.

Wrong.

CS has always been free if you own an original copy of Half-Life and downloaded the mod.

Only stupid people ever paid for the original CS.

Now, CS:Source is another story, which has never been free.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Pale Rider

Wrong.

CS has always been free if you own an original copy of Half-Life and downloaded the mod.

That is wrong, CS:Source was just as free as the original CS. if you bought HL2 you got CS:S. but if you bought the OB, HL2 was bundled with it so it didn't come with it.

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
Originally posted by: MikeyLSU

Wrong.

That is wrong, CS:Source was just as free as the original CS. if you bought HL2 you got CS:S. but if you bought the OB, HL2 was bundled with it so it didn't come with it.

What are you talking about? Just because a game was bundled with another doesn't mean it's free. You could buy CS:S by itself, IIRC.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000

Wrong.

If it's a bundle then you PAID for it, plain and simple.

The original CS could be downloaded off the internet 100% free of charge with NO PROOF OF OWNERSHIP OF HALF-LIFE and NO PURCHASE OF HALF-LIFE.

CS:Source is a stand alone product and does not require HL2 to play - it has never been free, it has never been a mod - it has always been a stand alone product. Just because it gets bundled with another stand alone product doesn't mean it was free.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
Well, if you bought HL2, you got CSS for free. You couldn't play CS without buying the original HL so in that case it was pretty much similar except you could buy CSS byitself if you wanted. That is something you could not do with the original.

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
Originally posted by: GundamSonicZeroX

What are you talking about? Just because a game was bundled with another doesn't mean it's free. You could buy CS:S by itself, IIRC.

So then the original wasn't free either. Quit shitting bricks over spilled milk.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Well, if you bought HL2, you got CSS for free. You couldn't play CS without buying the original HL so in that case it was pretty much similar except you could buy CSS byitself if you wanted. That is something you could not do with the original.

Do you read at all?

Lets recap.

CS:S is a stand alone product - it has never been free.

The original CS was a mod for the original HL. It has always been free for download.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Originally posted by: angry hampster

So then the original wasn't free either. Quit shitting bricks over spilled milk.

Of course it was free. Only dumbasses bought it in the store AFTER Valve commercialized it. The original CS has always been free for download.

Hell I still have 1.6 original installer files on my file server right now. You could download it straight from the mod developer or any number of sites (file planet, 3dgamers, etc).

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Notes for those that care:

I have HL2 - it was "gifted" to me on Steam.
I do not have CS:Source.
I used to have the original HL, and CS, but no longer have either.

Does that help?

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
If you own the original HL the CS is a free mod.
If you bought one of the "packages" when HL2 came out Bronze, Silver, Gold etc. CS:S was included.
If you buy HL2 today CS:S is not included. CS:S is all by its self.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Originally posted by: JBT
If you own the original HL the CS is a free mod.
If you bought one of the "packages" when HL2 came out Bronze, Silver, Gold etc. CS:S was included.
If you buy HL2 today CS:S is not included. CS:S is all by its self.

A+

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
Originally posted by: angry hampster

I'm not "shitting bricks," I'm just attempting to correct a simple mistake. The original was free, but it was also bundled with HL1, TFC, OPF, and Blue Shift in the Half-Life Platinum Collection Second Edition (that's how I got it).

Mandin62

Mar 24, 2007
CS is $10 and well worth it. i mean come on its an icon of gaming i think it deserves $10 worth of appreciation. As for CS:S its not nearly as good but still a solid game. and once again its worth the money. the packages that Steam offers are a great bang for the buck. you get so many games its crazy.

? Counter-Strike
? Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
? Counter-Strike: Source
? Day of Defeat
? Day of Defeat: Source
? Deathmatch Classic
? Half-Life
? Half-Life 2
? Half-Life 2: Episode One
? Half-Life 2: Episode Two
? Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
? Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
? Half-Life: Source
? Half-Life Deathmatch: Source
? Blue Shift
? Opposing Force
? Portal
? Ricochet
? Team Fortress 2
? Team Fortress Classic

all for $100. i know its alot of money but look at all that wonderful gaming goodness for the price of 2 count them 2 other big budget games.