So called single-use plastic bag bans

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
So a lot of communities here in California have banned single-use plastic bag, well good you think right. Well problem is it seems like most stores simply made their old plastic bags a little thicker and are now calling them reusable. They are still charging 10 cents for them though. Here is an example of these "reusable" bags.

xf239t.jpg

530x298xWalmart-reusable-bag.jpg.pagespeed.ic.gHVeTzycyJ.webp

I really doubt very many if any one is going to be reusing these types of bags. Makes you wonder how much these laws will actually do.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Sounds like there is an easy fix.

Actually fixes are not so easy, so far places have not been able to find a satisfactory fix. At first a fix seems simple, but defining legally that makes a bag reusuable is the issue.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Good. :colbert: I hate plastic bag bans. Plastic bags are reusable, and recyclable - though not in the usual recycling places.

A better requirement would be for every place that gives out plastic bags to have a place to recycle them. Around here Walmart does, but no other place that I've seen.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
It's what happens when businesses have too much undue influence over the legislative process.

If I recall, our Hawaii state legislature is supposedly attempting to "make corrections" to this industry-influenced legislation that many residents are complaining about.

Fat chance of that though.

Still, there are many residents here (my wife among them) who do bring their own cloth tote bags while shopping.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
What am I going to use for small bin garbage bags. I have a few that are specifically designed for plastic shopping bags. I guess I could probably just buy some. D:

LPCTech

Dec 11, 2013
Just like that in Chicago, they replaced the thin plastic bags with thick ones. I use them once for groceries and once for cleaning the cat box. So they are kinda re-usable. But I did the exact same thing with the thin ones.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Yeah, I use grocery bags for small trash cans, and a thicker bag would just mean a tiny bit more plastic to hold my trash.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Actually fixes are not so easy, so far places have not been able to find a satisfactory fix. At first a fix seems simple, but defining legally that makes a bag reusuable is the issue.

No, the fix is pretty easy. Just make plastic bags illegal for stores to use. I'm not sure why you think that was difficult.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

We simply use to many bags for them to be truly reused. I reuse the shit out of "single use" plastic bags and still throw away a fuckton of them. I couldn't imagine reusing more of them regardless of how thick they make them and you aren't going to get the majority of Americans to bring them back to the store.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Define "re-usable"
I "reuse" pastic bags all the time. I scoop the cat litter into them and then throw it away. I take my lunch to work every single day in one, and then throw it away.

The problem here is they end up getting thrown away with a week of me getting it from the store. It's hardly "re used". I'm just delaying it getting into the landfill by at most 7 days.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
It still boggles my mind that people laych onto those plastic bags as an issue. They're almost the perfect disposable product. They weigh about 5 grams each, yet will hold around 15 pounds of stuff. It takes a fraction of the energy to make one as is needed to make a paper bag. In a landfill, they take up far less volume than a paper bag. You don't waste water and energy washing them, compared to reuseable bags. The average person uses a total of 5 pounds of plastic bags per year. A single gallon of gasoline is 6 pounds. The majority of people reuse them for lunch bags, pet waste, garbage, etc. Replace them with reusable fabric bags, lunch bags, etc, all which need to be cleaned, and while there is probably a bit of a net benefit, it's trivial compared to other ignored ways to save.

Save 2 gallons of gasoline in a year - would have just as much of a net impact. Think of all the consumer products that are designed for a relatively short lifespan... Just one of these products per year would have an even bigger impact. 40 years ago, a family might have a television for a decade or longer. Now, hey, the 50" is on sale, so let's replace the 4 year old 32" television. Tons of products are replaced not because they're broken and can't be fixed, but because bigger and better is available.

Speaking of repairable, our mindset and culture has been changed to perceive that it's too expensive to repair things - it's not in the manufacturers' interests that you can repair their products. Why do individual parts cost 3/4 the cost of a brand new item? Because manufacturers don't want you to fix them - and our culture accepts that. We live in a throwaway culture and of all the things to worry about, people are worried about the plastic bags that all the stuff we're going to throw out was brought home in.

Nov 8, 2012
Good. :colbert: I hate plastic bag bans. Plastic bags are reusable, and recyclable - though not in the usual recycling places.

A better requirement would be for every place that gives out plastic bags to have a place to recycle them. Around here Walmart does, but no other place that I've seen.

That - or ban plastic bags altogether and make places go back to the oh-so-harsh reality of using paper bags like they once did.

The whole argument on both sides is rubbish. I also would never pay $0.10, $0.02, or $0.01 for your ability to put the shit I purchase in a bag.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Walmart never fails to reinforce its low life reputation.

yes. because it's only walmart that does this and not EVERY store.

We just started seeing these bags here. I find it silly. Nearly every store has a box for recycling the bags. we would store them until we go shopping the next time and shove them in the box for recycling. These new thicker ones just take up more room. The one positive is they actually hold together getting the stuff into the house. it seemed like %50 of the old thin ones would break.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
We simply use to many bags for them to be truly reused. I reuse the shit out of "single use" plastic bags and still throw away a fuckton of them. I couldn't imagine reusing more of them regardless of how thick they make them and you aren't going to get the majority of Americans to bring them back to the store.
Do what we do. Don't get plastic bags if you're only buying a few items, I tell checkout people not to bag it if I can comfortably carry the items in my hands. When I have to buy more than I can carry we got a few collapsible shopping bags that we keep in the car. Every once in a while we forget the collapsible shopping bags and then we'll just use the plastic grocery bags from the store. Those plastic bags get used in the bathroom garbage bins and to scoop cat litter. This works exceptionally well for us.

Define "re-usable"
I "reuse" pastic bags all the time. I scoop the cat litter into them and then throw it away. I take my lunch to work every single day in one, and then throw it away.

The problem here is they end up getting thrown away with a week of me getting it from the store. It's hardly "re used". I'm just delaying it getting into the landfill by at most 7 days.
Theoretically it's still helping because you're using plastic bags at a slower pace.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
No, the fix is pretty easy. Just make plastic bags illegal for stores to use. I'm not sure why you think that was difficult.

They can't because many reusable bags are made from thick plastic. Polyester a plastic is very common in reusable bags.