So, ATP&N, what are you planning on spending the 3rd round of Coronabucks on?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I remember going to Atlanta. Stayed downtown for work. I got to my hotel and wanted to walk around and see lots of stuff. It was a village. A few things. Barely anything walkable. No real good mass transit. It's rated 91st out of 100 US cities for mass transit cities in the US, and that's not saying much, because so many cities in the US are mass transit handicapped. I mean ultimately Atlanta to me is like a dense driveable suburb. Which is great if you like dense driveable suburbs. If you like real actual major walkable and mass transit friendly major cities, not so much.

I walked 7 blocks from this girl's apartment on 18th St to a restaurant on 11th the other night. I passed restaurants from more styles of cuisine than I can remember. Less than 10 minute walk. Good luck doing that in Indianapolis.
Atlanta is about the suburbs and not downtown Atlanta. So you need to rent a car and drive. I like Atlanta but that's because I'm familiar with everything and know my way around the city and the suburbs. I don't associate or tie my self worth to a city like you. It's kind of sad and pathetic how much you latch on and rave about the awesomeness of NYC when you live in NJ. Perhaps you should move to NYC?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
lol you're an idiot as usual.

Folks have shown facts that people are leaving by the millions every year, and you're an old man on your doorstep of a shithole saying "They'll be back!"

No. No they won't. They never will. But keep telling yourself things I guess. But DONT WORRY! You can always raise your sales tax or property tax another percentage. That doesn't at all have negative implications! Just keep raising it to infinity!

I also don't know where you get off saying red states are shit. You clearly haven't traveled around or gone outside of urban cities where you have to avoid human turds more than dog turds.

leaving CA by the millions every year?

Millions?

OK. seriously....math, at all?

really?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Atlanta is about the suburbs and not downtown Atlanta. So you need to rent a car and drive. I like Atlanta but that's because I'm familiar with everything and know my way around the city and the suburbs. I don't associate or tie my self worth to a city like you. It's kind of sad and pathetic how much you latch on and rave about the awesomeness of NYC when you live in NJ. Perhaps you should move to NYC?

I'm closer to Manhattan than a lot of people in Brooklyn or Queens or the Bronx, and way closer than Staten Island is, but that's pretty much a big suburb, and I have 24/7 mass transit access. I can be in Times Square in 20 minutes, and the village in 25, with mass transit. Faster than a lot of folks in the outer boroughs and faster than some folks in Northern Manhattan. I could get the space I want in say somewhere in Queens, and claim that NYC zip code, but my family is all in Western NJ, which would make seeing them a real pain in the ass. Also, I'm closer to hiking options and more beaches where I am. I go back and forth, I date these women in the city center living in studios and think how small it is but then I hang out at their place and we step out the door of their building, and it's like one of a few places on earth you get all these options mere footsteps away. So it's tempting. If I had way more money, I'd definitely live in Manhattan for a while.

I am a NYC snob, because I'm pretty much in it, and because there is nothing else like it, and very few places in the world have that kind of urban intensity and flavor. It's not for everyone, but if you want to talk major cities, it is literally the very definition of it. I traveled to all those cities in America and loved lots about many of them, but when I got there most of the time I was like where the hell is the actual city? There are a handful of cities in the world in the same category, and probably none as diverse. The major cities are definitely not the only places to live, and not the best for everyone, and have lots of downsides, lots of upsides, and plenty of other places are fantastic, but if you want to talk major cities, you need to know what you are talking about. Dense driveable burbs with a token downtown are not the same thing.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
From Santa Barbara up to Monterey you really cant go wrong. Some of my fondest family vacations as a kid were road trips up the coast. Thankfully my dad liked to camp so we would always it at least make it to big sur.

NYC always seemed insane until I went to Hong Kong. Geez I have been cooped up for a year and am dying to go anywhere.

San Diego, Santa Barbara, San Francisco, amazing trips. I have to do Highway 1 sometime. My brother in law still talks about that trip he did like you say, from Santa Barbara up to Monterey.

Hong Kong sounds amazing. Such an intense city. I would love to go to Hong Kong except the Chinese are going crazy there now. But Tokyo, that's at the top of my wish list. That's a metropolis.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I’m buying a new water heater. Speaking of Hong Kong, I got to fly into the old airport, new one wasn’t done yet, that was an experience by itself.

Reactions: skyking

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Just checked and found deposit pending for 3/17/21, cool, AND my boss surprised me with a $1,000 profit sharing deposit on Friday afternoon. I went from $120 till next payday to $2,400, time to go grill/smoker shopping!!.
Upgrading or first time buyer?

If you like salmon this guy's recipe is my go to. As long as you keep your heat in check it is foolproof smoked salmon.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Just checked and found deposit pending for 3/17/21, cool, AND my boss surprised me with a $1,000 profit sharing deposit on Friday afternoon. I went from $120 till next payday to $2,400, time to go grill/smoker shopping!!.
Upgrading or first time buyer?

If you like salmon this guy's recipe is my go to. As long as you keep your heat in check it is foolproof smoked salmon.

Upgrading, I've had a Weber since 2003, they just won't die, still on it's 1st burner but it cannot smoke or even slow cook anything at all, it's just not designed for that since it was a lower-end unit at the time.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Bah, not getting any coronabucks yet again. Too much income. Too bad wife spends it all and we never have any so it would really have been nice.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017

Upgrading, I've had a Weber since 2003, they just won't die, still on it's 1st burner but it cannot smoke or even slow cook anything at all, it's just not designed for that since it was a lower-end unit at the time.
Weber kettle? If so have you tried the snake method? I've done this before I got a dedicated smoker and it works well. It is surprisingly effective but a dedicated smoker is the best.

I never soaked my wood chunks like this guy does and don't think it is needed.

The Weber Smokey Mountain is probably the best bang for the buck but really low heat is not possible.

I have not tried one but I hear the Slow and Sear works great.

• Love
Reactions: cytg111

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Weber kettle? If so have you tried the snake method? I've done this before I got a dedicated smoker and it works well. It is surprisingly effective but a dedicated smoker is the best.

The Weber Smokey Mountain is probably the best bang for the buck but really low heat is not possible.

No, it's a Weber Genesis silver gas grill, think I might go with a Weber kettle to use on weekends, the flavor of real wood cannot be beat it's just the convince of lighting and throwing something on it 10 minutes later that I like. I live in FL so grilling is a year-round thing.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Not getting one, made too much. With a wife and 4 kids, I don't qualify. Yet mass murderers and illegal aliens do. Makes perfect sense.
Awww... you made too much... boo hoo...

As for the second part of your post, yea, but you were vague about... I agree, for those in prison. Otherwise they need to eat also.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
No, it's a Weber Genesis silver gas grill, think I might go with a Weber kettle to use on weekends, the flavor of real wood cannot be beat it's just the convince of lighting and throwing something on it 10 minutes later that I like. I live in FL so grilling is a year-round thing.
I put off picking a kettle up for that very reason but after doing so I rarely use my propane grill. It was versatile enough for me to do smoke smaller items and now I am hooked. I actually have some wings out on my kettle now.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I picked up some new work boots with the last credit card. We may do some retail therapy with this next one.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006

I used to smoke ribs or chicken breasts on my 11 year old Genesis propane grill because they could be done absorbing smoke after a couple hours. I put 2 of these with soaked chips on top of the rear flavor bars and the meat above em. Pan of hot water and one foil ball to block a side hole. Low n slow, meat thermometer for safety. Compliments were always positive.

I'm using a BGE for smoking now. Pinpoint temp control + lump charcoal and chunky apple, pecan, hickory, mesquite etc.. = Unbeatable!

20201004_133900.jpg
20201108_110649.jpg
20201108_143132.jpg
20201004_144133.jpg
20201126_151602.jpg

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I used to smoke ribs or chicken breasts on my 11 year old Genesis propane grill because they could be done absorbing smoke after a couple hours. I put 2 of these with soaked chips on top of the rear flavor bars and the meat above em. Pan of hot water and one foil ball to block a side hole. Low n slow, meat thermometer for safety. Compliments were always positive.

I'm using a BGE for smoking now. Pinpoint temp control + lump charcoal and chunky apple, pecan, hickory, mesquite etc.. = Unbeatable!

View attachment 41041
View attachment 41042
View attachment 41043
View attachment 41044
View attachment 41045
Wow!, nice looking stuff there..

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017

View attachment 41041
View attachment 41042
View attachment 41043
View attachment 41044
View attachment 41045
That brisket looks so good. I was going to do a Tri Tip this week but might have to smoke some brisket.

Reactions: iRONic

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
It's so damn easy too! Biggest PITA is trimming the 15 lb. packs down.

Wife grabbed another one at Kroger yesterday...

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

I've had a WSM for years. Lots of really good BBQ has come off that thing without a whole lot of fuss.

I've got that, a weber kettle grill, a weber gas grill, and a high power outdoor wok burner.

Each has their uses. The gas is used most as it's easy. The kettle is mostly for steaks (it's a sin to not use it with high quality beef) and the wok is the most fun. Awesome for stir fry.

Last edited:

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
It's so damn easy too! Biggest PITA is trimming the 15 lb. packs down.

Wife grabbed another one at Kroger yesterday...
Nice. I think I have at least 6 lbs of trimmed brisket fat in my chest freezer. Think I am going to try rendering some tallow with it and trying this for my next brisket .

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I'm always time-crunched and don't ever feel the need to turn grilling or smoking into an all day job as I'm lazy. Just a Weber Spirit gas grill for quick grilling, and a Masterbuilt electric smoker for smoking.

Some things like turkey and chicken are all about the brining process. Cook a turkey on a gas grill or charcoal Weber and it's meh, but if you brine it you really get much better flavor and that darker meat mmm. Almost like smoked.

Then again there are pork ribs and butt, I've tried brining both, but always end up with a dry rub and the smoker. I put fresh wood chips in every 90 to 120 minutes and just basically leave my pork butt in all day without opening it until it is done. I never soak wood chips, then you're just having to bun the water off, and it doesn't give you more smoke. I've tried brisket twice, I like restaurant stuff better than mine.

With beef I like to smoke it with cherry or apple, and a dry rub. I did short ribs yesterday, still have leftovers in the fridge. With beef ribs generally I prefer to dry rub and cook them in the oven on low, and finish grilling with the barbecue sauce, or even just broil the sauce on. For some reason smoking beef just never seems to come out the way I want it, so I keep practicing.

A favorite of ours is meatloaf on the smoker, using 80/20 ground and just putting it on the rack. I use Famous Daves in the mix, and glaze the top with a small amount. It is so damn delicious...

• Love