So, ATOT, what are you planning on spending the 3rd round of Coronabucks on?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
MOST totalitarian restrictions
Right. Listening to the medical profession was a total waste of time. Instead, we all should have relied on your accounting abilities to tell us what sort of response we should pursue in the face of a pandemic. As usual, your concern for you fellow man is touching :rolleyes:

Reactions: zinfamous

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Thought everyone on here was rocking 6 figure salaries since they were 18?

You mean you all have been lying to me?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Specifically it bases it on unemployment - which is fucking laughable.

So... lets see... which states, cities, and counties imposed the MOST totalitarian restrictions and demanded closure of the mosts businesses? Thats the one who gets the most money.
You live in a state that is receiving the most fema money of any state the last few years, including for a power infrastructure issue that could have been completely avoided if you did things the right way.

You ain't got a leg to stand on.

At least in Covid's case things were done to save lives as per the medical communities advice. In Texas case it was just to be stupid.

Reactions: snoopy7548

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Looks like the new limits and my 2020 taxes will get my wife and I the full payout this go-around. We expanded our business last year at a loss which helped us out quite a bit in terms of coronabucks and our federal return this year.

Reactions: zinfamous

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
My sister's family is getting checks and she said they don't really need them - I suggested to spend a significant amount at local businesses, especially ones hurt most by the earlier stricter lockdowns, such as food places. They rarely get takeout, I suggested they get takeout a lot more for a few months, etc...She said they might donate some of the money to a couple of causes as well.

Reactions: Captante
Nov 8, 2012
Right. Listening to the medical profession was a total waste of time. Instead, we all should have relied on your accounting abilities to tell us what sort of response we should pursue in the face of a pandemic. As usual, your concern for you fellow man is touching :rolleyes:

This really isn't that difficult. Political stance made little to no difference. New York was (and is) the absolute worst as far as numbers and population density. They were also the most totalitarian in closures.

Facts are hard though, I understand.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
This really isn't that difficult. Political stance made little to no difference. New York was (and is) the absolute worst as far as numbers and population density. They were also the most totalitarian in closures.

Of course NYC was going to be the worst hit - it is the most population dense and most visited city in the country - once the virus was brought to the states from Europe, it was bound to hit NYC the quickest and the hardest, and the lack of good federal guidance made it worse - after all, the very top GOP brass kept saying the virus was contained and would disappear. On top of that, it is by far the densest city, with folks relying on mass transit more so than any other city in the country and living in the most close quarters of any city in the country and thus pretty much needed the strictest response. And you want to punish New Yorkers for that. Until the last couple of years I never thought to myself, why should these southern red states get all this money for natural disasters when they keep rebuilding in the paths of hurricanes, etc... It was like just something that America did for it's states and residents. Until the GOP tried to simply keep money away from blue states and cities due to politics under Trump. And then I found out pretty much all of Texas's GOP congressmen voted against any Sandy aid for the Northeast. And then their power grid failed due to their own complete incompetence recently, and they come running for federal money. And get it. And people like you still bitch about NYC getting money due to listening to the experts during a pandemic and having a unique set of conditions that made the pandemic probably worse here than almost any other major city in the country. It's absolutely terrible.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

You do realize that the vast majority of deaths in NY occurred very early on in the epidemic - when the medical profession had yet learned how best to save those with severe COVID infections?
Oh, and states with high populations densities are having the most COVID deaths - shocking. Anyway, from the NYT, here's the current per capita case counts you feckless idiot.

CurrentHotSpots.png

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

I'm on the other extreme. Your state fucked up and so did New York.

The difference between the overt and brazen deniers and the "intelligentsia's" aim to let the virus run its course a little bit is merely the reasons behind it, not that the virus shouldn't spread.

People like you simply don't think it's a big deal.
The intelligentsia and politicans mostly knows its a big deal and wants it to wipe out the "burdensome ones" and they reboot the machine no further question asked with less burden on the budget needed.

The difference is one side simply does not see it as a significant threat and a ploy to interfere with "money-making". The other sees it as a an opportunity to cut the "undesirables" to the machinery of money-making and some perceived noble purpose of "saving the environment".

Nov 8, 2012
I'm on the other extreme. Your state fucked up and so did New York.

The difference between the overt and brazen deniers and the "intelligentsia's" aim to let the virus run its course a little bit is merely the reasons behind it, not that the virus shouldn't spread.

People like you simply don't think it's a big deal.
The intelligentsia and politicans mostly knows its a big deal and wants it to wipe out the "burdensome ones" and they reboot the machine no further question asked with less burden on the budget needed.

The difference is one side simply does not see it as a significant threat and a ploy to interfere with "money-making". The other sees it as a an opportunity to cut the "undesirables" to the machinery of money-making and some perceived noble purpose of "saving the environment".

Not in the slightest. I'm simply the side that understands not only the health implications - but also the monetary implications - which directly relates to the health implications. Face facts - telling people gyms are closed has health implications. Telling people to stay at home and stay inside has health implications. Lives lost aren't just a "Who has died on a hospital bed after taking a COVID-19 test". It also has future implications of a massive increase in homelessness as a direct result of this. But people want to ignore the business and economic side of things.

Just like when companies file for bankruptcy, the only people hurting and holding the flaming bag of shit at the end of the day is the little guy.

If this hasn't been realized from people such as yourself before this pandemic - I would hope you have realized it now.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Not in the slightest. I'm simply the side that understands not only the health implications - but also the monetary implications - which directly relates to the health implications. Face facts - telling people gyms are closed has health implications. Telling people to stay at home and stay inside has health implications. Lives lost aren't just a "Who has died on a hospital bed after taking a COVID-19 test". It also has future implications of a massive increase in homelessness as a direct result of this. But people want to ignore the business and economic side of things.

Just like when companies file for bankruptcy, the only people hurting and holding the flaming bag of shit at the end of the day is the little guy.

If this hasn't been realized from people such as yourself before this pandemic - I would hope you have realized it now.

Who has been ignoring the business and economic side of things? Mostly the GOP. They don't want to pass much or any stimulus at all - look at who supports this current bill. Let's take an industry hardest hit by the pandemic - restaurants. The Dems specifically passed the Restaurants Act last year in the House in a larger bill but the Republican Senate negotiated it out of the final stimulus bill of 2020, which was only much smaller due to their intransigence. As usual you only look at one side of the equation and ignore the rest. Also, the GOP does want to leave the flaming bag of shit in the hands of the little guy, Dems aren't quite as bad. They would rather bring taxes back to where they were on the wealthiest (shortly after this pandemic is over) and are proposing a 2 cent wealth tax to start to pay for things. This is literally the opposite of wanting the little guy to hold the flaming bag of shit. It's not like the GOP is cheap with money either - when it comes to wars, bloated military budgets or tax cuts for individuals and corporations already making obscene amounts of money, they are all for it.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Thought everyone on here was rocking 6 figure salaries since they were 18?

You mean you all have been lying to me?

Nah - it's just low six figures + high pre-tax savings rate

Edit: I'm still waiting on TV sales....

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Who has been ignoring the business and economic side of things? Mostly the GOP. They don't want to pass much or any stimulus at all - look at who supports this current bill. Let's take an industry hardest hit by the pandemic - restaurants. The Dems specifically passed the Restaurants Act last year in the House in a larger bill but the Republican Senate negotiated it out of the final stimulus bill of 2020, which was only much smaller due to their intransigence. As usual you only look at one side of the equation and ignore the rest. Also, the GOP does want to leave the flaming bag of shit in the hands of the little guy, Dems aren't quite as bad. They would rather bring taxes back to where they were on the wealthiest (shortly after this pandemic is over) and are proposing a 2 cent wealth tax to start to pay for things. This is literally the opposite of wanting the little guy to hold the flaming bag of shit. It's not like the GOP is cheap with money either - when it comes to wars, bloated military budgets or tax cuts for individuals and corporations already making obscene amounts of money, they are all for it.
Y'all need to get back in P&N. This thread is about fun coronabucks spending, not politics.

Reactions: brianmanahan

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Specifically it bases it on unemployment - which is fucking laughable.

So... lets see... which states, cities, and counties imposed the MOST totalitarian restrictions and demanded closure of the mosts businesses? Thats the one who gets the most money.

hmm, it's almost as if that makes complete sense: states that prioritize humanity over libertopian suicidal greed, actually need more support to carry through the businesses that chose to/were restricted from operating due to the death plague that has been killing everyone. Then, the plague theoretically gets eliminated faster, meaning quicker to open and less actual prolonged economic effect on everyone. ...as opposed to, you know, candyassing about it and pretending that some select handful of morons are more deserving of their freedom to systematically kill their neighbors because they need to feel good about their craven irresponsibility, so the plague just lingers, more people die, more people lose their jobs, and more and more suffer, because a few idiots are offended that they "can't do what they want" every second of ever day.

amazing, how things make sense if you think about them. But I guess that won't be happening anytime soon, eh? :D

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
IIRC, you are the same guy who said that if business didn't have a business plan to pay a high min wage, they shouldn't exist. As if the business plan can control for volatility in the revenue stream.

Small businesses are in no man's land. Republicans prefer favor big corps while the Dems stir up anti-business sentiment.

That they threw in a loan of sorts doesn't change their general sentiment of obtaining a bipolar marketplace and the sheep are more than willing to let that world come into being.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
IIRC, you are the same guy who said that if business didn't have a business plan to pay a high min wage, they shouldn't exist. As if the business plan can control for volatility in the revenue stream.

That has zero to do with dealing with a once every 100 year pandemic. That's the kind of crisis that government should step in and assist with.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

I am actually sympathetic to the business and economic damage this thing caused and it was clear and obvious collateral economic damage would happen. The problem is that even one of the most totalitarian regimes in the world could not suppress it with their usual censorship and cover-ups, and China's is a much more meddlesome state than even the most blue of states here. The ability on China to get involved in the residential and private lives of individuals is far greater, as evidence by the ability to lock people in.

People going around blabbering about how it's not a big deal or that it isn't a real problem only wind up screwing things up for their own local community. If people want to do business, they need to take care to mitigate the spread of the virus while doing so. But if someone believes nothing is wrong, they certainly won't take the precautions.

This virus is extremely durable and good at "latching on" to the next guy, and stealthily. Which is why even I, who leads an extremely low interaction life, got a confirmed positive a case.

Maybe I should put it simply: If you are not paranoid and OCD about the virus, you shouldn't let the business run until they and their customers get that point. And I do not make this statement with implied color of someone's politics. I'm more than grown enough to know that humans crave interaction in general regardless of party lines and thus many people start not giving a shit and break the rules in "private matters" since government can't enforce policy during such exchanges. .