So are we or are we not getting the tax rebates (ie 1600 dollars for families w/children) thing

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Most people are probably going to use it to pay off their credit card debt.

redly

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Jumpem
The senate version got voted down.

BINGO

the TV news, newspapers, talk radio ect made it sound like it was your god given right to get the rebate. So if the senate voted it down, does that mean it's dead??

I'm pissed, cause I already spent the money on hookers and blow

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Borrow the money from china.
Give it to taxpayers.
taxpayers go to walmart and buy goods made in china.

Yep, nice economic skills there :Q

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
I just want it cause I owe 1200 dollars this year. The fact that I owe that much sucks.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
the Senate is jerking around with the legislation, could be another week or two before they finish screwing it up

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
The Senate tried to lard up the bill with another $50 billion or so in spending. Pushing the bill to over $200 billion.

Senate Republicans blocked it. Now the Senate leaders have to decide if they want to try again or just pass the original Congressional bill.

Frankly, I wish it would just die. The majority of the bill is nothing but a vote buying measure that will do nothing to stimulate the economy.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: Queasy
...a vote buying measure ...

98% of legislation is that
with or without earmarks

pork is Congresses favorite meat

bread and circuses is all americans want

they should just skip this stupid check thing, and just contract directly with best buy to ship a LCD HDTV to everyone's house and have geek squad set it up for us

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
The Senate tried to lard up the bill with another $50 billion or so in spending. Pushing the bill to over $200 billion.

Senate Republicans blocked it. Now the Senate leaders have to decide if they want to try again or just pass the original Congressional bill.

Frankly, I wish it would just die. The majority of the bill is nothing but a vote buying measure that will do nothing to stimulate the economy.

my sentiments exactly. we need to sober up and cut spending, not going further in debt. isn't it alarming that a large quantity of american debt is held by foreign countries like china?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: FoBoT

with or without earmarks

they should just skip this stupid check thing, and just contract directly with best buy to ship a LCD HDTV to everyone's house and have geek squad set it up for us

No thanks, we already have 3 HDTV's and 1 is still in the box (Sharp AQUOS 40" 1080p LCD).

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

Somehow dollars going to unemployment benefits don't stimulate the economy as much as tax rebates?? :confused:

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Throckmorton

Somehow dollars going to unemployment benefits don't stimulate the economy as much as tax rebates?? :confused:

Where did I even say that. Neither will do anything worthwhile to stimulate the economy.

The only part of the package that will do anything to stimulate the economy is the $50 billion in tax deductions for new business/equipment investment. This is actually re-instituting a portion of the Bush tax cuts (forget which) that recently expired.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Originally posted by: FoBoT

with or without earmarks

No thanks, we already have 3 HDTV's and 1 is still in the box (Sharp AQUOS 40" 1080p LCD).

:Q
i will admit my jealousy :laugh: