So apparently Kate Gosselin cheated in the RnR Las Vegas Marathon

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bateluer, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

http://runitfast.com/2011/12/06/rea...elin-finishes-rock-n-roll-las-vegas-marathon/

This kind of stuff really pisses me off. Regardless of whether you run a marathon in 2:15 or 7 hours, you invest countless hours into the training. Your feet hit every mile of that course, and finishing under your own power and getting that finisher's medal is definitely a singular moment.

The part where the 'celebrity' runner gets the accolades and the real runners don't boils the blood.

How there was even enough room on the course or sidelines to have a scooter is beyond me too. My understanding is that most of the race was overcrowded, dangerously so in many places.

2. EvilYoda

EvilYoda Lifer

I am shocked and appalled at this news. Oh wait, no I'm not...wtf do they expect picking Kate Gosselin as their celebrity?

Sucks, but it doesn't surprise me at all that she did something like this.

3. ElFenix

ElFenix Super Moderator and Elite Member
    Super Moderator

why the hell does anyone pay attention to this worthless sack of flesh?

4. Mursilis

Mursilis Diamond Member

I remember reading an article somewhere several months back talking about marathons, pacing, and time cut-offs. Apparently, as marathons have become more popular events for casual runners, organizers have extended time limits (up to 8 hours in some events, according to the article), and some more serious runners have begun to question whether taking all day to complete 26.2 miles really "counts" as completing a marathon. The author provided the example of the Honolulu marathon, which apparently has an 8 hour cut-off, which allows some people to stop and eat a sit-downlunch(!) in the middle of the race! Interesting point, I think. I'd have to agree with the author - at some point, a generous time limit really waters down the accomplishment of "completing a marathon". I'd be interested in hearing what some of the runners here think about this.

5. Exodist

Exodist Senior member

QFT! I would say this woman is as worthless as tits on a boar hog, but I rather value a boar hogs life over hers..

6. Wyndru

Wyndru Diamond Member

Sigh, yet another reality "celebrity" people need to stop paying attention to.

7. SearchMaster

SearchMaster Diamond Member

Maybe they should require everyone with a 26.2 car magnet to also put their time on it.

"26.2 4:30" or "26.2 8:00"

8. joutlaw

joutlaw Golden Member

I want a sticker that says "0.0" .

9. Exodist

Exodist Senior member

It is true they have started becoming a more social event for everyone then just an athlete. Lets face it, Americans are getting fatter everyday and more and more out of shape. Sad but true.. Now I dont have a problem with them opening up the time lines to allow more people to join the events, its not like they are getting first place if they take 12 hours to complete what normally would only take most of us 3 to 4. But what they do receive is a personal accomplishment, which can mean more to them then a first place medal to some. Thats something that I feel would is very valuable and who is to say that just because someone isnt in top shape that they cant join the event. Maybe they dont have time to condition themselves daily. Perhaps they have a disability and they always wanted to run a marathon. We shouldn't be selfish and say said person is not good enough to participate as that is wrong, but we should embrace their effort and cheer them on for at least trying. Now the whole "lets take a lunch" in the middle of a race is asinine IMHO.. :biggrin:

10. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

I agree with you, and I've stated similar in other threads relating to what constitutes 'running a marathon'. But, they at least still do it under their own power. Still better than taking a scooter.

11. RagingBITCH

RagingBITCH Lifer

Wrote up a blog about RNR Vegas - see link in my sig. Also you can read their FB page - almost a week after the race, people are still slamming them left and right.

Even worse - their CEO didn't run the race either, yet was "timed" in the race along with his wife. It's pathetic. I'll never give another dime to RNR again.

12. IHateMyJob2004

That story is a lie. The person who posted in on Facebook wasn’t even registered in the race. KateG seems attract some weird haters on the net who make up stuff.

13. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

Don't have to run the race to catch some one in a load of crap. The CEO and his wife had Half Marathon bib numbers, but didn't have splits at the 5K and 10K marks. Allegedly finishing in under 1:30, they somehow started in one of the rear corrals with the walkers and strollers. While still having time to go through the wedding chapel on the course.

From what I heard, they were using fire hydrants to pump water into plastic lined trash bins and had volunteers with latex gloves scooping it out of the bins with the cups.

Not sure what happened the RnR, the RnrAZ is usually pretty well organized.

#13 Bateluer, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  14. darkxshade

darkxshade Lifer

It all really depends though, I'm not about to take the accomplishment away from someone who completed the mileage in the allotted time... especially if they are not as physically fit, I still applaud their motivation. Obviously there will be and should be time limits but I expect that to be the promoters decision. So if they say 8 hours and someone finishes in exactly 8 hours, then they finished a marathon IMO. There's no such thing as an 8 hour limit but it only counts if you finish under 7 and any runner who questions this should only run in marathons that has a 7 hour limit or they lose the legitimacy of their argument.

15. sandorski

sandorski No Lifer

The only one that matters in a Marathon is the Kenyan. :colbert: