So, Am I going To Get Arrested?

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Alright the situation is I was driving 70, maybe 72 in a 55 in the left lane of a highway in Ohio, right outside of Dayton. Now an officer clocks me at 72 and writes me up on July 1st with a court date/Payment date just 10 days away on July 11th.

The only problem is I was on my way to registration/orientation at UIUC and I didn't get home until Late night July 5th. July 6th, I'm passed out in an exhausted blur, July 7th, I have no excuse for, I'm just lazy and stupid I guess and July 8th was a sunday so no mail service. July 9th and 10th pass in a blur of being very sick as in vomiting in a trashcan sick and Now it's July 11th, I have a ticket due in a state 500 miles away and appearantly a warrant for my arrest will be issued tomorrow?

Now can anyone chime in as to Ohio law? If I do pay late, what are my consequences? Is it normal to have so little time before a court date in Ohio? It was a $135 ticket btw.

Cliffs
1. Got $135 ticket
2.Forgot to Pay
3. ...
4. FPMITAP?

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
In Maryland they'll just send you another court date. Now, if you miss the 2nd one, you may be in trouble.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Call the courthouse you might be able to pay via credit/debit card. Once you pay the warrant will be rescinded.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Picture of you.

j/k

If you contact the court and explain the situation, they'll give you another court date. Now, you'll probably accumulate additional penalities and fees for missing the date, but it's better than jail.

All they want is your money anyway; you're contacting them to give them money...they're not going to turn you away.

crt1530

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2001
Call up the courthouse and see if they'll take a credit card or set you up on a payment plan over the phone.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Get it in the mail right now and call the court and tell them you were a little late getting it in the mail, but it's on its way. And yes, that's normal in all states for minor traffic violations, AFAIK.

If you need to make an excuse, tell them you had a little trouble coming up with the money.

Edit: And no, you won't get arrested. Most states/counties/cities don't actively pursue warrants for missing traffic court..

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
In Virginia they try you in absentia and find you guilty. They then send you a letter telling you they did this and what the fine is etc.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
I did that once. I went into the police/court building about a week later, paid the fine (no "late fees" or the like), and went home.

Like Linflas said, you likely have already been convicted of the violation in absentia. So if you continue to let it slide, you could get arrested the next time you get pulled over. So call the courthouse, pay the fine, and be done with it. I assure you, you are NOT the first person to do it, and the jails are too overcrowded to fill them with absent-minded "criminals" like you and me.

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
they would much rather have your $$ than throw you in jail.

call them. explain the sitch & ask them what you can do about it. i'm sure it happens frequently

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
call the courthouse and request an extension. happens all the time. they just want their money.

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Right, if only there were warrants out for every single person who misses the due date on their speeding fine. lol