So, a nice neighbor lady asks me to fix her laptop. (old thread, pls ignore)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Can someone explain why I'm seeing this in 2023?

Oh, and what happened with the old lady VL???

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't know what happened with her. Her son (in law?) was basically going to take over and figure out her internet situation, I think. He wasn't especially happy with me messing with her laptop, either, but it was unbootable in the state that I received it, as I recall. I basically popped in an SSD, installed Win10, and gave it to her back, along with her original HDD. (Of which she had one other laptop HDD already squirrelled away for some reason.)

Reactions: Muadib

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Been there 100x when someone wants you to check or do some particular thing (e.g. get wireless/internet working) and you find like a dozen things that really should (if not need) be addressed! Then you wrestle with what to tell them is important and what can be let alone but shouldn't. And the look on their face when you tell them, wondering if they think you are trying to pull one over on them or something, by turning 10 minutes into 2 hours.....

Jul 27, 2020
And the look on their face when you tell them, wondering if they think you are trying to pull one over on them or something, by turning 10 minutes into 2 hours.....
So true. I've noticed that being honest and helpful makes me look suspicious to people that don't know me that well. Wish I knew why I FEEL uneasy and nervous when I KNOW I'm telling the truth and doing the right thing. Maybe it's the fear that despite my best efforts, the other person will try to overthink my actual intent in going the extra mile for them.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
So true. I've noticed that being honest and helpful makes me look suspicious to people that don't know me that well. Wish I knew why I FEEL uneasy and nervous when I KNOW I'm telling the truth and doing the right thing. Maybe it's the fear that despite my best efforts, the other person will try to overthink my actual intent in going the extra mile for them.

Yeah nobody wants to be perceived as being like the oil change tech who starts pushing other services or products like air filters, trans and coolant service, wipers, fuel system cleaner. :p

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski