So a drill fell on my foot(toe) - about a month ago

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
don't click if eating
unless you're into this stuff

the drill fell right at the base of my big toe. hurt for a couple days, but was just black for a while. took a shower today, noticed how some blackness disappeared. now there's a hole, and the dried blood crusties are falling out of it!

===============

oh right, i had a question :p since that 'hollow' area doesn't hurt, should i just cut around it? to reach the upper-black crusties?

===============

8/9/09

here's a HD 720p macro vid of my jacked up toe, for you sick fv*k's out there :D

===============

Around 10/01/09
60% healed, but that 40% looks whack...

AAHHH wtf it just fell off GROSSS

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 9, 1999
The pic isnt that bad. Whatever you do, DO NOT cut any part of it off!

Well, except the end of course ;) But leave the hole alone! Just let it migrate to the end of your nail... That will be weird enough.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I jammed my toe nail backwards by running into a wall wearing rollerskates once. I ended up pulling the nail out with pliers after a few weeks due to the pressure.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Originally posted by: AkumaX
oh right, i had a question :p since that 'hollow' area doesn't hurt, should i just cut around it? to reach the upper-black crusties?

You could just tap into the dark areas with a drill bit...

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Eli

Well, except the end of course ;) But leave the hole alone! Just let it migrate to the end of your nail... That will be weird enough.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
That's pretty strange. I've never seen a hole in a nail like that before. Mine have always just fallen off.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Eli

This man is correct, cutting will only weaken the nail, and you don't stand to gain anything by getting that scab out of there.

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I did that at work a few months ago. Just waited for it to grow out, took about three month for it to grow out all the way.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Sabot
bbzzdd never works for me
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Open the hosts file in Notepad.

Add this line to it:

72.232.196.98 pics.bbzzdd.com

Save, reboot, enjoy pics.bbzzdd.com. :)

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I cracked the part of the nail that was still under the skin a while back. Dropped a 4'x8' sheet of pegboard, and the edge landed right on my foot. When it grew out it was too weak from the crack to stay attached. Took a couple of months to grow back I think... kinda gross looking with no toenail on there.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
I damaged the base of mine and it took nearly 10 months for the base to grow completely out to the tip.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
You're going to lose the nail. Just chill out and be ready. As the nail underneath grows, it will push the dead one out, until it simply cannot hold on.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Bah...pussy. that toe is fine. A bit bruised and the nail will eventually either fall off or grow out...either way, quit whining...:D

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
Originally posted by: eos
You're going to lose the nail. Just chill out and be ready. As the nail underneath grows, it will push the dead one out, until it simply cannot hold on.

Cool. 10 months? I'll keep that in consideration!

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
Yeah, toe nails grow much slower than finger nails. That's not really bad - looks like the matrix is not damaged heavily, so it will regrow.

I put a motorcycle stand on my big toe, and, while wriggling in pain, jerked the motorcycle to free the foot, and took off most part of the nail completely. Unfortunately the base was damaged too severely, and the nail never grew back to pretty pink. It has a yellowish hue now :( Went to see the doc, and he said there's nothing he could do short of artificial nails to cover it up. You see it a lot on guys in auto bodyshops or those who work with heavy machinery - once you pinch the nail hard enough, kiss a pretty pink look goodbye.

Feb 19, 2001
Bleh. I went snowboarding hte first time and my toe really hurt the whole day because of the boot. Never really bothered to fix it and said just suck it up. I looked at it later and the WHOLE thing was purple after the weekend. It looked worse than what you showed us.

The whole nail fell off 3 months later. Uhhh yeah. I had a really thin (paper thin) new nail that I wrapped up for a few days so I wouldn't die in pain if I bumped into something with my foot.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Originally posted by: lxskllr
That's pretty strange. I've never seen a hole in a nail like that before. Mine have always just fallen off.

I guess he didn't do enough damage to the nail to make it fall off. Makes sense if the drill bit hit the toe and the damage was in a confined area. Your toenail normally falls off because the damage prevents keratinocytes functioning as normal. In the OPs case the damaged keratinocytes have stopped producing keratin, but the healthy ones have continued, resulting in the nail growing with a hole.

It should just grow out.

ASK THE COMMUNITY