So a diesel VW Touareg was making the rounds at a local offroad park...

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
...and he managed to hydrolock the engine. It was a manufacturers plate, so it was on a test run. The guy was having a ball until the inevitable happened. He was hitting the holes waaaaay too fast. Those 2 guys in the collared shirts were the VW employees testing it.

Notice how happy they look :D

holy unresized pics batman

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
They should be unhappy since they spec the thing to be able to go through like 27" of water without trouble....
oops. It doesn't look 2 feet deep, but it's hard to say.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
My friend bought a brand new Touareg and had it shipped to CA. The car has been in for repairs since she got it. A/C compressor was broken, now there is some loud noise under the engine. This is a brand new car from the factory. What is up with VW? You would think for such an expensive car, they'd get it right.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Jzero
They should be unhappy since they spec the thing to be able to go through like 27" of water without trouble....
oops. It doesn't look 2 feet deep, but it's hard to say.

Mud and water are 2 different beasts. 27" of Mud sucks you down and makes your tires turn into slicks since it clogs up the tread. 27" of Water just adds weight that the engine needs to move.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
What exactly does "hydrolock" mean?

Viper GTS

water in the combustion chamber. When water enters, the piston cannot compress it. When this happens, something has to give and the water usually wins.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
What exactly does "hydrolock" mean?

Viper GTS

The intake sucks in water instead of air. This is very bad, as the cylinders fill with water. if the engine doesn't cut right off, you can bend valves like this.

Usually, you have to drain the oil, refill with fresh oil, remove plugs, crank engine to "puff" all the water out, replace plugs and hope for the best.

I.E. this is a very bad thing to do...especially on a new $60K truck. :Q

*edit*
Wiz, you beat me to it. LOL @ those guys...going wheeling with a button up shirt.
rolleye.gif

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
i did not witness this, however my buddy, who has the jeep in a few of those pics, said the engine cut out and the guy cranked it over again. I'd call the engine a loss if that was the case.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
i did not witness this, however my buddy, who has the jeep in a few of those pics, said the engine cut out and the guy cranked it over again. I'd call the engine a loss if that was the case.

Hehe, what a DUMBASS that guy is!!! Obviously doesn't even know the first thing about cars and/or internal combustion engines. Typical car salesman.
rolleye.gif

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Could've happened to any truck in that situation. Take anything beyond it's designed capabilities and you're asking for trouble.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Well it's a stock, expensive SUV, that can never be modified for serious offroading. What do you expect? SUVs are NOT made for "offroading" despite what environmentalists say about owners not taking their vehicles off road. There is a reason no one offroads with a stock vehicle.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
that is the biggest ranger i have ever seen :Q

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Well it's a stock, expensive SUV, that can never be modified for serious offroading. What do you expect? SUVs are NOT made for "offroading" despite what environmentalists say about owners not taking their vehicles off road. There is a reason no one offroads with a stock vehicle.

i know lots of people who do. I have taken the stocker Jeep we own offroading

we are at the beginning of this film. Red Cherokee

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis

It's funny how Nissan's commercials show otherwise.

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
A modified Ford Ranger pulled it out, that's got to be pretty embarassing for them.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PG
A modified Ford Ranger pulled it out, that's got to be pretty embarassing for them.

Why would that be embarrassing? A 4x4 Ranger has everything you need for good offroading; a modified one even moreso.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
its embarrassing because vw markets the touareg as a real suv with towing grunting power, not a pansy on road car conversion suv.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
I doubt its hydrolocked. I dont see nough water in that pic anywhere to hydrolock a lawn mower. But I also dont think it would have made it far regardless. Thats ALOT of mud, look at the Tourag versus everything else out there.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: KnightBreed
This is the funniest thing I've seen all day.

(it was in the parent directory if anybody's wondering)

yu0 suQ at linkx0r!

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: sygyzy
My friend bought a brand new Touareg and had it shipped to CA. The car has been in for repairs since she got it. A/C compressor was broken, now there is some loud noise under the engine. This is a brand new car from the factory. What is up with VW? You would think for such an expensive car, they'd get it right.

If that's really the case, then that is sad..... :(

I, for one, was hoping VW would get their act together...

Originally posted by: Shockwave
I doubt its hydrolocked. I dont see nough water in that pic anywhere to hydrolock a lawn mower. But I also dont think it would have made it far regardless. Thats ALOT of mud, look at the Tourag versus everything else out there.
LOL...

I agree. I don't see enough water. My guess is something else happened. Maybe water shorted something out. The air box has to be basically submerged to actually suck water into the engine.