Snowblower trouble

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
I've got an old snowblower that worked fine last winter, but I went to start it recently and it's non-functional. I keep getting nothing when I pull the start cord, not even a sputter. This afternoon I put a new spark plug in and she still won't start. I tried removing the new plug and pouring some gas directly into the cylinder. Now when I pull the cord it makes a pop sound (might be a backfire??) Am I on the right track with this? I don't know if it's significant, but the rope had a little more resistance when I tried to start it after I poured gas in the cylinder. Any ideas what to try next? We're getting a big snow storm tomorrow, so I hope I can get it running!! Thanks

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
Are you using gas that is from last year? The gas can actually go bad. What kind of snowblower is it, 2-cycle, 4-cycle? Does it need oil in the gas? Did you try to prime it before you started it?

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
Yes, more details, please. Are you getting any compression, or does it just slip?

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Does it have a choke setting that maybe you have open? If ther is not choke control, add new gasoline, be sure your plug is sparking, and then take off the air cleaner and cover the intake some with your hand making your own choke. I've found that to help sometimes in the winter.

Harrald

Dec 6, 2000
Could be that if you left gas in it from last year that it has turned to varnish.

You may have to take the carb apart and give it all a good cleanin'.

Good luck I'm off to prime my own snow blower now.

*Update* I got my blower-a-blowin.

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
I dumped the gas out from last year and used fresh gas. It's a 4 cycle engine, oil is seperate from gas. I think it's getting compression, it "putt putts" when I pull the cord like normal, it just doesn't show any sign of life. There is a choke control, it has 4 settings, I tried starting it with the choke open and closed. There is a primer button that has a label that says "hold primer button in and pull rope start slowly". I did that before trying to start it.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Choke should be almost completely closed when its cold and then opened up a crack when its started and openend more as it warms up. If its puffing you might want to pull out your spark plug and hold the bottom electrode to the block while you pull the cord, you should see a spark jumping the gap.

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
The plug wire has a boot at the end which goes over the plug, should i let the boot touch the engine to check for spark? hehe, i'm not very handy with engines as you can tell, but I'm hoping I can get it working:)

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Actually if you hold the boot close to the block, but not quite touching it, you should see a spark as well. What I usually do is remove the spark plug or use another one I have laying around and plug it in and then touch the hooked end to the block, that just makes sure the plug is firing, if you get nothing from the boot to the block, then the ignition is not working. Might I suggest you keep your hand far from the boot too, if you dont have it close to the block the spark might go through the boot and zap you (just scares you, doesnt hurt hehe), too close to the block and you wont see a spark!
Good luck!

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
You dumped last year's gas out? If the gas was in it for about nine months, you probably need to clean your carberator. It's always a good idea to let it run out of gas before you store it.

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
Go and get some Gumout? I think its called that. Spray it into the carburator and that should help to clean it out.

Atom Ant

Nov 9, 1999
Check for spark first using the grounded plug method described previously. You should get a nice blue spark. ( make sure the gap is set correctly) If you have spark, move on to fuel. If the spark looks weak ( yellow or hit & miss) check into the points (if it uses them) and condensor.

If you have spark, put the plug (dry - no fuel) back into the cylinder head. With the switch turned off and the choke on, give the thing 5 or 6 good pulls on the cord. Pull the plug again and see if its wet. If it is, sniff it to make sure its gas and not water.

If the plug is still dry, clean the carburator, FUEL LINES, FUEL FILTER, and air filter. If the old gas was left in the carb for the year, your probably going to need to disassemble it and cleat it good, including the float and needle valve orafaces. Re-assenble and try again to see if your getting fuel.

If you have spark and fuel, I would go to timing - but - you say it was running when you put it away last season. So I would next check the valves ( you say it had better compression after you shot some gas in the cylinder ) and make sure one is not stuck (or bent). If the valves are ok and it still feels like no compression you probably have collapsed piston rings which means a teardown.

Best method I've ever found to get um working is to take er to the shop and pay the man. Otherwise, the snow season will be over before you get er started. :)