Snow tornado is theoretically possible, but never seen.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I have seen/heard thundersnow many times.

Lightening looks mighty weird in a snowstorm.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
We get little snow devils all the time in our back couple acres. We're in an extremely windy area though.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I've seen mini snownadoes while driving in a blizzard. I guess basically the equivalent of a dust devil but with snow. They don't tend to last and they are not strong enough to do any damage but have a cool visual to them.

Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
There was a day in December or January that was super windy here, and I remember being outside and noticing the wind was blowing and gusting from multiple directions. I thought to myself, "this would be great tornado weather if it wasn't so cold", believing exactly that- that tornadoes only happen in warmer temps.

Then I heard in the news the following day that there were indeed tornadoes out in the middle of the state (the boonies). I was obviously mistaken in thinking the airtemp needed to be higher, and they can indeed occur in winter. I'd imagine that type of vacuum pressure and wind speed would have to pick up snow if there was any on the ground, even if it were hard-frozen and crusted. A tornado while it was snowing/blizzarding would be something else entirely.

It isn't going to look like white snow once it's in the 'nado, though. It'll just become dirty water and/or debris like the rest of the things carried by tornadoes.

Edit: yep, I saw a few of those snow-devils that @Red Squirrel mentioned on that day referenced above. There was enough loose powder on the ground that I spotted two little ones maybe 2-3m high, real thin and wispy and didn't last more than 10 seconds.