Snow? In MY virginia? Its more likely than you think!

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
I read this thread title wrong. I was like, snow in your whaaaaaaaat?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
it doesn't count until you have at least 6 inches

1445481374--awkward_moment_seal.jpg

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
This morning on I-95 it was deceptively slick ... didn't look like much but touch the brakes and full ABS with little/no slowdown. For some reason it was completely untreated when I was NB around 9a.

Of course you combine that with "Holiday drivers" who spend very little time on the road and its certain disaster. They tend to panic, try to maneuver with near-zero traction and shockingly wipe out.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I went hiking this morning. Left at 6am. Last time I did this there was hardly anyone on the road. This time, I think everyone woke up, and said "Holy fuck, snow! I've never seen that before. I must go out and drive in it!", then proceed to drive like grandmas, and get in my way. I couldn't even enjoy the drive.

Hiking was nice. Walked from seven to eleven. Everything was quiet, and the snow really makes the animal paths through the woods pop. It's like they having lights showing the way. Saw an owl, a couple eagles, and a bunch of pileated woodpeckers. Those are impressive birds. I like seeing them around.

I even managed to get lost. I was following ravines around, and must have gotten turned around. I couldn't make sense of what I was seeing compared to where I thought I was. I'm walking in what I think is the right direction, and see something I'd already seen. I made a big circle :^D Dumbass... It was nice not knowing exactly where I was though. That doesn't happen much. Only downside was I saw a hunter. That cut my path a bit short, and it's not impossible I could have gotten shot. Also, I don't enjoy seeing people.

About to go in to my new favorite restaurant, and get a big ass beer and some currywurst. It's a good day.

I feel sorry for people that don't get snow. That's like living half a life. They don't even get Christmas. They like to pretend, but it's like a white boy with dreds. You can try dressing it up, but you're still playing dress up :^D

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
We've had a lot of snow here already. Probably somewhere between 1 and 2 ft.
I am lucky I have 4wd and good snow tires. My driveway is like a quarter mile long but I still manage to get through it OK without even messing with chains.
When it gets too deep I usually just beg the neighbor up above us to plow it off with his tractor.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Now that I'm not on a phone... Found my ruins today, maybe... It's not as I remembered from 15 years ago, but it could be my memory's bad. Doesn't make sense with taking my daughter there in her wagon. It was more rugged today, and not near a meadow as I remember. Plant life can change pretty quick, so that's not the best guide. There's still more places to look. I'll probably go back before winter's over, and maybe again in spring. I suspect it was flowers that got me looking in the first place, so maybe flowers will guide me back.

Anyway, Yay snow! Hopefully we get some more, and I can checkout some parks closer to home. There's one near a local river, that still has the millrace. I might be able to find something cool there. If it's off the path, there's a good chance people haven't been there in awhile. People don't like leaving the path.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
We got like 1/2 inch in montgomery county in MD but the roads are fine. I'm going out in DC in a little bit but going to take Uber instead of the Metro cause we plan on being out past midnight. Hope the driver has good tires!

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'm waiting for DC to get another couple of feet like they seem to every few years.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I feel sorry for people that don't get snow. That's like living half a life. They don't even get Christmas. They like to pretend, but it's like a white boy with dreds. You can try dressing it up, but you're still playing dress up :^D

I was talking to local who went to NYC for Christmas one year and said "it didn't feel like Christmas at all with all that snow on the ground." I guess the 'traditional Christmas' around here is bbq and swimming at the beach with family

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
I really need new glasses. For a second I thought it said snow in your vagina...

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I really need new glasses. For a second I thought it said snow in your vagina...

I initially thought the same thing and then I started reading things like "getting 1/2 an inch" and was thinking that poor woman but he must have ATOT money.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I was talking to local who went to NYC for Christmas one year and said "it didn't feel like Christmas at all with all that snow on the ground." I guess the 'traditional Christmas' around here is bbq and swimming at the beach with family
That's insanity. They clearly have no idea what Christmas is about. Germans made Christmas, and there's no beaches and bbq in Germany, or the other Germanic countries that look like Christmas. That's not even getting to Baltic and Slavic countries.

Christmas
0_2e8dc_452fa1b1_XL.jpg

Christmas
Santa-_Claus-_Village-_Finland-cheap-holidays-1.jpg

Christmas
c7fc48124486e11500a6c92fc6260e8a.jpg

NOT fucking Christmas
Christmas-_Tree-_La-_Quinta-_Re.jpg

I actually had some trouble finding a good representation of CA Christmas. There were a lot of pictures staged to look like Christmas, but they were just cheap facades. If you're wearing shorts, you aren't participating in Christmas. White boys in dreads...

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I can't imagine Christmas without snow. I saw it once in my life time, in fact it was in like 94 or something (I forget the exact year) before climate change was really a thing, just a completely abnormal winter where we didn't get snow. I had a sad that year.

A few years ago my family wanted to plan a trip down south for Christmas once and by down south I mean VERY down south, like in a hot country. They wanted me to come. Why the hell would you want to do that on Christmas? At least do it in like March or April or something when you're fed up of winter and want break. I am never going to get that week off in my life time since I'm at the bottom of the totem pole at work, so I have a good excuse for not going with them if ever they decide to do it. Also traveling around Christmas time is just a stupid thing to do, that's when everything is ridiculously busy.

Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I can't imagine Christmas without snow. I saw it once in my life time, in fact it was in like 94 or something (I forget the exact year) before climate change was really a thing, just a completely abnormal winter where we didn't get snow. I had a sad that year.
Snow on Christmas is actually pretty rare here, but there's always that chance, and when it happens, it makes it all extra special. Those chances are getting fewer as time goes on. We've got some decent cold(for MD) this year, but it's been dry as hell. We have gotten a couple very light snows. Easy to deal with, and they add a nice touch, but I'd like to see more.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Snow events are a wow moment around here. You hope for one good snow blanket a year. This cold week half the time we'll be below freezing, frigid for us, yet the weather will be sunny and dry.

I once drove 1450 miles north to western NY one February and it was so picturesque, I was amazed. It's a poor rural area, and felt like going back in time to the 1920s. Old houses and snow make for postcard shots everywhere. Where I live we don't have those old fashioned 2-story wood houses, for one thing, and no hills w/ views for another.

Last edited: