SNL...does Obama actor have to be black??

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
What really bothers him (Sinbad) is SNL's choice of actor (Fred Armisen) to play Obama.
"My problem is -- you couldn't just temporarily hire a black man to play Obama? You had to put a white man in a black face? You couldn't find a light-skinned brother to play Obama?"

[/quote]

Anyone care to address why it's "required" or "more appropriate" for SNL to hire a black actor to portray half-white half-black Obama?

Hey Sinbad, Fred Armisen is Venezuelan-Japanese, not white. You irrelevant presumptive schmuck. This ain't "blackface": http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2...does_not_wear_bla.html

So how does he turn himself into the country's potentially first black president? "It's really quick," Armisen said. "There's shading on my eyebrows and plastic behind my ears. And there's a little bit of something called Honey, a honey color, that is something I would wear when I play Prince."

Some have called Armisen portraying Obama "beyond inappropriate." As Seth and Amy would probably say, Really?

Notice the the page URL is "fred_armisen_does_not_wear_bla" even though that doesn't appear on the webpage :)

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Wow, sad that it's even a story, we're so fucking sensitive in this country. We have whining from all kinds of disingenuous folks about Obama saying 'typical white person', and now whining from people who don't approve of the fucking casting of a parody role. Whine, whine, whine.

Our stunted society really needs to grow up.

I have no problem with SNL's casting obviously, nor would I if the actor had been black or middle eastern or whatever.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Sinbad is silly, you go with the cast that you've got.

It' silly to suggest that these type skit shows should run out and hire an "ethnic stand-in" depending upon the skit.

Fern

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
It would be nice to see some Middle Eastern representation on SNL. :(

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
Will Ferrell played the best Janet Reno I've ever seen. :laugh:
QFT, the episode where Reno herself busted down a wall to join the dance party was pure hilarity.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Desperate ploy for attention so people will say "Wow? Sinbad? He's still around?" perhaps?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
Yeah, this is the big issue Americans need to address right now.

There's always someone like you who pops up and feels that if we aren't discussing nuclear proliferation or darfur then we're wasting time. Your dinner parties must be fun.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: loup garou
mi scuse, mi scuse

Did he play that part? That was classic. I had tears laughing over that scene.

Maybe SNL can just higher three people.....one to play Obama, one to play the white devil on his left shoulder and another to play the black devil on this right?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: yllus
It would be nice to see some Middle Eastern representation on SNL. :(

Watch John Stewart instead! :thumbsup: Assif Mandvi is hillarious! :laugh:

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Darrell Hammond plays Jessie Jackson... and he's a white guy. I don't see anyone complaining about that.

Maya Rudolph plays just about every race you can think of b/c her "look" can fit many different molds.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Desperate ploy for attention so people will say "Wow? Sinbad? He's still around?" perhaps?

He did have that Clinton quote and now this. The guy is so involved in politics! Maybe he'll be in Man of the Year 2

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I thought the guy was a Jew... but hey. He does have to be funny tho, and the Obama impression is lame. AMy doing Hillary os really good, and the other chick who does Pelosi is funny, but if Obama is the pres they need someone better to do it than him.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: squirrel dog
Who is sinbad? Sounds like a poor rapper.

Which brings up another interesting point. What business does this comedian have taking the name sinbad? Shouldn't he be an arab with a name like that? The nerve.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

AND

What really bothers him (Sinbad) is SNL's choice of actor (Fred Armisen) to play Obama.
"My problem is -- you couldn't just temporarily hire a black man to play Obama? You had to put a white man in a black face? You couldn't find a light-skinned brother to play Obama?"

Well, Obama is half white. Why can't it be a white actor?

Fern

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Fern

AND

That was the point of the thread...Sinbad's claim that it was SNL's duty to hire a black man to play a person who is also half white. Course maybe Sinbad didn't know Obama is half white.

It's like in that godawful movie Epic Movie where Alison Hannigan's character's father (Eddie Griffin, black comedian) told her she had to marry someone who was of the same background. But her mother was Indian, and a quarter jewish or something. So she had to find a black, Indian, quarter jewish guy to please her parents.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Fern

AND

Fern

lol