Sniper Elite V2..awesome

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Anyone else pick this up on the Flash Sale on steam for $14? This game is a lot of fun, I was expecting a typical blah shooter. Its not earth shattering game, but its great fun. What surprises me about the game is zero bugs so far in 8 hours of gameplay. I'm so used to getting annoyed by bugs in games now-a-days.

Everything seemed to fall into place with this game, check it out. I don't think its worth $50, but if it drops to around $25 grab it if you love sniper shooters.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Yeah I bought it this summer but I've only played a few hours or so of it. It is good, though.

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
I plan on picking it some day when it goes for sale cheap on Steam.

This. I've looked hard at this but am going to wait until it is super cheap ($5-10). That doesn't sound like a huge drop, but that money can buy a ton of fun from other cheaper Steam games.

Steam has really screwed with my idea of acceptable prices for games. I thought I was REALLY splurging last year when I bought Skrim for something like $30. This idiocy of paying $40, $50 and $60 has got to end. Like many on these boards, I've got a backlog of games on Steam and have the patience to wait until games come down in price. This is the first Steam sale in two years that I haven't been tempted in the slightest to buy a single title. It isn't hard. Just play the backlog. And if you don't have one, try checking out a few older and cheaper (but really awesome!) games.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I agree Steam sales have changed my buying habits as well. I wouldn't mind paying $50 for a good quality game but most games made these days just simply not worth it anymore. Too many bugs or unfinished components upon release anymore. I feel, have for some time, that game developers are just trying to suck money from me instead of giving a good quality product so I have no qualms about waiting a few months for someone like Steam to cut the pricing by half or more.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
It's on sale again on Steam. Not sure what it all entails with expansions and all that. I guess it's the whole series? I dunno.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Figures. I had to cancel and close my CC due to a scammer. Have to wait 10 days for new one to get to me.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
I played it on xbox 360 at a buddies house, I didn't play much of it but I did like it and I would buy it for $10 on steam

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
I bought it when it was on sale around thanksgiving for about $12, I think. Just bought the expansions on sale last night for ~$5 total. I really enjoy this game; the AI may not be that smart, but those slow motion kills in x-ray mode absolutely never get old! Such a fun game.

When I first started out, I tried not to use the focus mechanism (E key) and I burst a ton of testicles. :)

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Yeah, the Mortal Kombat X-ray kills are great. So great, in fact, that even when I'm supposed to be sneaking in, I end up shooting everything in sight. Probably a good idea not to have "Don't shoot" levels when shooting is that much more satisfying then sneaking.

I guess they realized that though, since the game doesn't seem to mind that I turn infiltration into Rambo style assaults.

Whirlwind

Nov 4, 2006
Just bought at steam sale.....can you turn the x-ray kills on/off or are they always on or are they just appear at random

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Do you not find the lack of mecanics for sniping rather irritating? Basic things like the adjutment of the gun for range, wind, elevation, breathing etc? The issue I always have with games about sniping is their total disregard for the actual ballistics that make sniping interesting and challenging. They seem to just be shooters with less shooting and stealth instead.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
Do you not find the lack of mecanics for sniping rather irritating? Basic things like the adjutment of the gun for range, wind, elevation, breathing etc? The issue I always have with games about sniping is their total disregard for the actual ballistics that make sniping interesting and challenging. They seem to just be shooters with less shooting and stealth instead.

Select the highest difficulty setting and you have to account for wind, elevation, and bullet drop, and the focus key doesnt included the red diamond to show the point of impact; it has realistic ballistics.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Select the highest difficulty setting and you have to account for wind, elevation, and bullet drop, and the focus key doesnt included the red diamond to show the point of impact; it has realistic ballistics.

And you have the necessary tools to deal with these things? An appropriate scope, adjustments for the scope, ballistics table for bullet drop and wind?

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
You can the plain jane weapons from that eta, so a Mosin nagant + scope. Some levels are hard to snipe long distances. One level you have to kill a general on a island, and i had to shoot above and to the left to hit him. Took me a long time to get that shot right. lol

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
And you have the necessary tools to deal with these things? An appropriate scope, adjustments for the scope, ballistics table for bullet drop and wind?

Your scope has a table-thingy to help you adjust for bullet-drop (whatever it's called). There's also a wind-indicator at the top of your screen that shows wind direction and speed, so you can adjust for that as well.

Sniper Elite V2 is not a simulator by any means - it's still very gamey - but playing on hard (Sniper Elite mode) makes it just realistic enough to be rewarding. I pre-ordered this game when it released last Spring and really loved it. The brutal X-ray style killcams are so delicious. The further away your target is, the more dramatic the killcam. Watching your bullet crunch it's way through your enemies bones and vital organs in slow-motion is criminally satisfying. :D

Of course, you can turn them off if you're not into that sort of thing.

One of my favorite games of 2012.

Edit: Might I also add, the graphics in Sniper Elite V2 are quite good looking. Rebellion doesn't develop the greatest games, but they have some good technology under their belts. Their proprietary 3D engine was also used in the newer AvP game.

Last edited:

Whirlwind

Nov 4, 2006
Your scope has a table-thingy to help you adjust for bullet-drop (whatever it's called). There's also a wind-indicator at the top of your screen that shows wind direction and speed, so you can adjust for that as well.

Sniper Elite V2 is not a simulator by any means - it's still very gamey - but playing on hard (Sniper Elite mode) makes it just realistic enough to be rewarding. I pre-ordered this game when it released last Spring and really loved it. The brutal X-ray style killcams are so delicious. The further away your target is, the more dramatic the killcam. Watching your bullet crunch it's way through your enemies bones and vital organs is criminally satisfying. :D

Of course, you can turn them off if you're not into that sort of thing.

One of my favorite games of 2012.

Glad to hear this, I am really looking forward to playing it

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Some of the achievements in this game are hard to get, the "get a ricochet bullet kill" is insane. Forget wine and bottle targets, i got like 25 out of 100 on those. lol

Whirlwind

Nov 4, 2006
I am not much into the whole achievement thing anyway, dont really care about them in ay game.

Dijeangenie

Sep 11, 2012
Its a pretty fun first person shooter, but if you are looking for a hardcore sniper experience then this is not it! The major problem I had was that as soon as you shoot someone, all the enemies nearby know exactly where you are, meaning that the game devolves into a pretty standard (but pretty enjoyable all the same) FPS, rather than the stealth experience I was hoping for.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
Its a pretty fun first person shooter, but if you are looking for a hardcore sniper experience then this is not it! The major problem I had was that as soon as you shoot someone, all the enemies nearby know exactly where you are, meaning that the game devolves into a pretty standard (but pretty enjoyable all the same) FPS, rather than the stealth experience I was hoping for.

Not in every case, though. Aside from using environmental cover noises, I've had success taking out targets from shadowy hides, such as backing up to the back of a room and firing through the window across the room. No general alert was sounded.

You do have to consider the realism that a close target will be able vto echo locate a 30-06 WW2 sniper rifle going off nearby.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Picked up the Sniper Elite/Sniper Elite v2 combo for $14. Haven't played them yet as I also picked up a bunch of other games. I watched a couple playthrus of V2 a few months back and have been eager to play it since.