Snickers pulls Superbowl Ad campaign

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tuktuk

Jan 30, 2007
People get pissed at this but making fun of foreigners is okay for Budwesier? HAHAHAH AN INDIAN GUY IS TRYING TO TALK LIKE A STEREOTYPICAL MEXICAN FROM LA.. YOU'VE DONE IT AGAIN CARLOS MENCIA!!

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
I predict that this video will shoot to #1 on You Tube now.

Yep. All this protest has done is ensure FAR more people will see the video multiple times now.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: ChiPCGuy
I guess being the first gay male to weigh in on this here, I thought the commercial was overtly homophobic. The reaction of the two men indicated to me:

1. It is to objectionable for two *guys* to accidentally kiss--not to be confused with the concept that it would be generally objectionable for anyone to accidentally kiss another they would not otherwise kiss, even accidentally
2. There was necessity to do something "manly" in order to compensate for what happened, ie, gay males are not manly--which is not true at all since I love to work on all things mechanical and have a rather impressive firearms collection (including no less than 4 AR-15A2 rifles)

I live with a heterosexual friend who I asked what he thought of the commercial and his response to the commercial overall was that it was "silly" and somewhat homophobic based on the reaction of the two males...I did my best to not influence his response and simply asked what he thought of the commercial and of the reaction of the two men.

I did not feel the necessity to protest to anyone, but simply shook my head when I saw it.

the fact that the target audience is the straight male (it was the second half of the Super Bowl!) and that for most straight males, the thought of kissing a man is repulsive, this is a funny ad. It is not promoting a anti-gay agenda, and if you even begin to think that it does, take the broomstick out of your ass...

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Originally posted by: ricochet
This is a seriously bad move for the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (quite a mouthful). If they want respect this is not how to go about it.

Most groups of this nature have no idea how to go about getting respect and thus they continue the cycle of their behavior creating the sentiment they are trying to curb yet attaching no credence to their actions as cause for distaste of their group.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I guess being the first gay male to weigh in on this here, I thought the commercial was overtly homophobic. The reaction of the two men indicated to me:

1. It is to objectionable for two *guys* to accidentally kiss--not to be confused with the concept that it would be generally objectionable for anyone to accidentally kiss another they would not otherwise kiss, even accidentally
2. There was necessity to do something "manly" in order to compensate for what happened, ie, gay males are not manly--which is not true at all since I love to work on all things mechanical and have a rather impressive firearms collection (including no less than 4 AR-15A2 rifles)

I live with a heterosexual friend who I asked what he thought of the commercial and his response to the commercial overall was that it was "silly" and somewhat homophobic based on the reaction of the two males...I did my best to not influence his response and simply asked what he thought of the commercial and of the reaction of the two men.

I did not feel the necessity to protest to anyone, but simply shook my head when I saw it.

Not quite the first ;)

I actually laughed a bit when I first saw it. I guess I found it funny in that "look what straight guys do to reaffirm their sexuality" way. Nothing to get upset about IMO.

There are a lot of "manly' gays lurking out there, most people have no idea. I have no poodle shooters in my collection though unless you count the Galil ARM. :p

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What are gay people doing watching the Super Bowl in the first place? Shouldn't they be watching ice skating or reruns of Ellen? :p

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: NFS4
What are gay people doing watching the Super Bowl in the first place? Shouldn't they be watching ice skating or reruns of Ellen? :p

Young, attractive, built men tackling each other for hours on end....

Text

:D

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: toekramp
i figured the gay community would find it entertaining, and the Christians would shut it down

Official response from us Christians: We are not offended, but it actually wasn't very funny. Then again, most of the commercials this year weren't. Oh, and we went with the Colts.

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: K1052

Not quite the first ;)

I actually laughed a bit when I first saw it. I guess I found it funny in that "look what straight guys do to reaffirm their sexuality" way. Nothing to get upset about IMO.

There are a lot of "manly' gays lurking out there, most people have no idea. I have no poodle shooters in my collection though unless you count the Galil ARM. :p

Galil=cool! Nice weapon. Expensive, too. The AR's are much less expensive nowadays, but are not based upon the AK system like the Galil which does detract from reliability a little bit. My AR's are more accurate though! :)

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Mwilding

the fact that the target audience is the straight male (it was the second half of the Super Bowl!) and that for most straight males, the thought of kissing a man is repulsive, this is a funny ad. It is not promoting a anti-gay agenda, and if you even begin to think that it does, take the broomstick out of your ass...

"and if you even begin to think that it does, take the broomstick out of your ass...."

Wow. You are definitely in need of taking the broomstick out of YOUR ass I think. Or, let me help....:D

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
This is getting out of hand. Everyone is so offended by everything it is getting dang ridiculous. Companies have the right to put out anything they want. Consumers have the right to not buy the product.

jfall

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2000
I also heard that their were complaints because Prince's guitar silhouette looked like a penis. What is this world coming to?

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: jfall
I also heard that their were complaints because Prince's guitar silhouette looked like a penis. What is this world coming to?

I laughed at that. I do believe it was entirely unintentional and therefore no offense should be made. It was, afterall, shaped like the stage.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: TheNinja
This is getting out of hand. Everyone is so offended by everything it is getting dang ridiculous. Companies have the right to put out anything they want. Consumers have the right to not buy the product.
I take offense to your taking offense.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: K1052

Not quite the first ;)

Galil=cool! Nice weapon. Expensive, too. The AR's are much less expensive nowadays, but are not based upon the AK system like the Galil which does detract from reliability a little bit. My AR's are more accurate though! :)

Yea, they unfortunately are. Mine was a kit build on a Ohio Rapid Fire receiver.

Text

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
Wow these are the homos that piss me off
Gay people do not

Only the whiny homos that think that these ads are targeted against them; they cant just take it as a joke.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Xylitol
Only the whiny homos that think that these ads are targeted against them; they cant just take it as a joke.
Would you take it as a joke if Snickers aired a commercial where a lesbian and a gay guy were sharing a Snickers bar and they accidentally touched lips. The lesbian says to the gay guy, "I think we just kissed". And the gay guy says "QUICK! Do something gay!"

amicold

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2005
I don't see what the problem is. That is a pretty typical male reaction to homosexuality. The homosexuals are the minority here and have no real business getting up in arms about something like that, especially considering removing the ad campaigns will do nothing for their public image.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Queasy
While the ad may be a satirical dig at homophobes

"May"? I thought it was blindingly obvious.

I guess being the first gay male to weigh in on this here, I thought the commercial was overtly homophobic.

Originally posted by: maziwanka
seriously though, after watching that commercial, how could anyone not realize how homophobic it was?

Then again, I guess it's impossible to underestimate the IQ of the average population.

Originally posted by: her209
Would you take it as a joke if Snickers aired a commercial where a lesbian and a gay guy were sharing a Snickers bar and they accidentally touched lips. The lesbian says to the gay guy, "I think we just kissed". And the gay guy says "QUICK! Do something gay!"

I would find it hilarious, especially if it ran shortly after the other ad.

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: amicold
I don't see what the problem is. That is a pretty typical male reaction to homosexuality. The homosexuals are the minority here and have no real business getting up in arms about something like that, especially considering removing the ad campaigns will do nothing for their public image.

Hmmm.

"I don't see what the problem is. That is a pretty typical male reaction to homosexuality."

So, a reaction because it is "typical" is OK?

and...

"The homosexuals are the minority here and have no real business getting up in arms about something like that...."

So, tyranny of the majority is OK by you?

Just a question: Are you part of a skin head neo-nazi type group??

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: Queasy
While the ad may be a satirical dig at homophobes

"May"? I thought it was blindingly obvious.

I guess being the first gay male to weigh in on this here, I thought the commercial was overtly homophobic.

Originally posted by: maziwanka
seriously though, after watching that commercial, how could anyone not realize how homophobic it was?

Then again, I guess it's impossible to underestimate the IQ of the average population.

Originally posted by: her209

I would find it hilarious, especially if it ran shortly after the other ad.

I love how you conveniently ignored my later statement that I found how it could be viewed as a stab at homophobia. Just because your initial interpretation was different than someone else's does not make your interpretation (or any one else's) correct. None of us truly knows what the intent of the commercial's message was...only those that created it. It certainly was not "blindingly" obvious to all, except perhaps for those who wear blinders.