Snickers pulls Superbowl Ad campaign

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
Strange, I thought the commercial was anti-anti-gay.
"T3h NOES I accidentally kissed a guy because I was overcome by lust for a candy bar! I must do something completely irrelevant to the issue and most likely very painful to atone for my horrid sin!"
Also, it seemed like it was anti-mechanic. Why isn't the UAW complaining?
This just goes to show that every single group out there has its share of idiots.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Think Archie Bunker - showing the extremes of extreme thinking and making fun of it.

That was an Anti-Anti-Gay [sic] commercial (without being overtly Pro-Gay).

MotionMan

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Here's the message we all need to take away:

If you happen to accidentally kiss another guy, it's homophobic to break away from the kiss.

Instead, stay there and indulge the chocolatey goodness of man-tongue.

Otherwise, you're a bigot.

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Mwilding
It is a LONG way from finding the thought of kissing a man repulsive to getting a gang together to go into Greenich Village and "beat the crap out of some fairies."

A big F-U to the group protesting this ad and a BIGGER F-U to the spineless execs pulling the ad.

QFT

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
I thought the commercial was stupid period. You're trying to sell a snickers candy but how it went about, people will talk about the two guys kissing not what(snickers candybar) got them to do the kissing.

cw42

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Originally posted by: herkulease
I thought the commercial was stupid period. You're trying to sell a snickers candy but how it went about, people will talk about the two guys kissing not what(snickers candybar) got them to do the kissing.

did u watch any other superbowl commercials ever? hardly any of them are exactly related to something they're selling. If they can get you talking about the commercial, and make it memorable... that's all that matters.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Why do companies conform so easily when this or that group gets pissed off about something so stupid? Its so rediculous

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: cw42

did u watch any other superbowl commercials ever? hardly any of them are exactly related to something they're selling. If they can get you talking about the commercial, and make it memorable... that's all that matters.

sure hardly any others matched what they were selling. But this ad you know was going to get a bad reaction to it. I know some say any press attention good but how ultra sensitive some people in this country has become this can't be considered good.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

Ah, so that's how advertising works...I guess all the agencies have been getting it wrong since forever

SLU MD

Aug 14, 2003
definately the best ad of the super bowl. i was crying when the dudes kissed, so freaking hilarious. guy cant resist the snickers in his face, by the time they are kissing its too late. ha.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: Jeeebus
Here's the message we all need to take away:

If you happen to accidentally kiss another guy, it's homophobic to break away from the kiss.

Instead, stay there and indulge the chocolatey goodness of man-tongue.

Otherwise, you're a bigot.

i am glad i don't like snickers

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: purbeast0
that was the funniest commercial of the entire superbowl IMO :thumbsup:

this PC crap on the otherhand is just getting out of hand :thumbsdown:

agreed!

wtf! absolutely ridiculous... i know gay people who died laughing at that commercial. anti-gay??

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Here is what this does:

The marketing company and probably others like it will not only NOT make commercials like this anymore, but will probably NOT make any "PRO-GAY" commercials either.

They should learn to lighten up.

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005
I guess being the first gay male to weigh in on this here, I thought the commercial was overtly homophobic. The reaction of the two men indicated to me:

1. It is to objectionable for two *guys* to accidentally kiss--not to be confused with the concept that it would be generally objectionable for anyone to accidentally kiss another they would not otherwise kiss, even accidentally
2. There was necessity to do something "manly" in order to compensate for what happened, ie, gay males are not manly--which is not true at all since I love to work on all things mechanical and have a rather impressive firearms collection (including no less than 4 AR-15A2 rifles)

I live with a heterosexual friend who I asked what he thought of the commercial and his response to the commercial overall was that it was "silly" and somewhat homophobic based on the reaction of the two males...I did my best to not influence his response and simply asked what he thought of the commercial and of the reaction of the two men.

I did not feel the necessity to protest to anyone, but simply shook my head when I saw it.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
it wasn't anti gay, it was laughing at homophobic reaction. meh

frankly it says something that a company could even have a commercial with two guys kissing these days. in the past that would have been a no no, let alone the audience which would have probably flipped out like they did with janets boob...

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy
I'm wondering if they've campaigned to have the "those aren't pillows!" scene pulled from the movie Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

That's the first thing I thought of!

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

frankly it says something that a company could even have a commercial with two guys kissing these days. in the past that would have been a no no, let alone the audience which would have probably flipped out like they did with janets boob...

I had not considered that point of view. Indeed, it could be interpreted that way as well. Two guys who feel the need to do something "manly" because of an innocent unintended kiss. That would be pointing fun at homophobia, not gay people. Hmm.

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: doze
2 greasy mechanics accidentally kissing each other is disgusting and funny.

Text

Taking into account the "type" of male that I am attracted to, I could not agree more!

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005
Oh, to be fair, my heterosexual friend may have also been anticipating my thoughts on the subject and said he thought it was homophobic just to keep the peace with me. I can be a real bitch to deal with.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: ChiPCGuy
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

I had not considered that point of view. Indeed, it could be interpreted that way as well. Two guys who feel the need to do something "manly" because of an innocent unintended kiss. That would be pointing fun at homophobia, not gay people. Hmm.

That's pretty much the way I read it when I saw it.