Snickers pulls Superbowl Ad campaign

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Link

Masterfoods has shuttered a microsite featuring its 30-second "Mechanics" spot from Sunday's Super Bowl, in response to complaints from the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation and the Human Rights Campaign, among others.

The spot, from Omnicom Group's TBWA\Chiat\Day in New York, depicts two mechanics eating opposite ends of a Snickers bar until their lips meet and they break apart. Sheepishly, one mechanic then says he thinks they just kissed. To erase the thought, they decide to "do something manly" and each pulls a clump of hair from his chest.

The site, www.afterthekiss.com, featured the spot and three alternate versions as well as video of Bears and Colts players reacting to all four ads.

On Monday, after some complained that the characters' reaction to the faux kiss was homophobic, Masterfoods closed down the site, a company representative said.

The microsite address now links to the main Snickers site, whose only example of advertising is a 2006 spot featuring a thirtysomething guy singing an acoustic ballad about the chocolate bar's ingredients.

The Hackettstown, N.J-based client originally planned to have consumers vote for their favorite version of "Mechanics" and then run the top vote getter, possibly during the Daytona 500 later in the month.

TBWA\C\D New York executive creative director Gerry Graf could not immediately be reached for comment.

Second link
UPDATE: Snickers parent company Mars has pulled the anti-homosexual ads it was hosting on its website?expressing regret and saying it will never air them again.

# Earlier: Snickers aired an ad during the Super Bowl that featured two men reacting in violent disgust after accidentally kissing while eating a candy bar. While the ad may be a satirical dig at homophobes, the candy company appeared to affirm an anti-gay message on its website?where there were, until a few hours ago, videos of NFL players grimacing in similar disgust at the kiss. (Message to viewers: Manly men should be disgusted by the image of two men kissing.)

toekramp

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2001
i figured the gay community would find it entertaining, and the Christians would shut it down

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
that was the funniest commercial of the entire superbowl IMO :thumbsup:

this PC crap on the otherhand is just getting out of hand :thumbsdown:

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Somehow I knew there would be a negative reaction to that ad.

tw1164

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
How was it anti-gay? If anything it showed the stupidity in homophobic behavior...ripping your chest hair stop you from becoming gay.. lol

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
That's ridiculous. While I thought the ad was a tad gay for a Super Bowl commercial I didn't think it was offensive at all...then again, I'm not gay.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
I'm wondering if they've campaigned to have the "those aren't pillows!" scene pulled from the movie Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
This is a seriously bad move for the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (quite a mouthful). If they want respect this is not how to go about it.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Fvcking christ. That was my favorite ad too. Anti-gay didn't even cross my mind when I saw it.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The Politically Correct Police strike again.......

In Saudi Arabia they have the morality police, in the west we now have the equivalent in the PC police.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
I am curious as to what the average gay man thinks about this commercial?

Cheers,
Aquaman

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
It is a LONG way from finding the thought of kissing a man repulsive to getting a gang together to go into Greenich Village and "beat the crap out of some fairies."

A big F-U to the group protesting this ad and a BIGGER F-U to the spineless execs pulling the ad.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage
Originally posted by: platinumike
i thought that commercial was more pro-gay then anti-gay.

Same here, my first thought was Lady and the Tramp for crying out loud!

OMFG! Lady and the Tramp is anti-gay! Why does it have to be a male and female dog? why can't they use 2 male dogs?!?!?!?!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Aquaman
I am curious as to what the average gay man thinks about this commercial?

Cheers,
Aquaman

I thought it was pretty funny actually. :D

Some people just get their panties in a bunch about anything these days.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
seriously though, after watching that commercial, how could anyone not realize how homophobic it was?

Jun 19, 2004
Jesus, I thought the commercial sucked and should be pulled for that fact alone.

Gay people should quit getting their panties in a wad.

If they (gay agencies) made a commercial where two gay guys "did something straight" then were grossed out and "quickly did something gay to compensate", then I, as a lover of all female forms, would not be offended at all.

People everywhere need to lighten up, this crap is going too far.

I'm curious as to what our resident gay guys think of the ad (M4H, you out there? :p).....

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: MisterJackson
Jesus, I thought the commercial sucked and should be pulled for that fact alone.

Gay people should quit getting their panties in a wad.

If they (gay agencies) made a commercial where two gay guys "did something straight" then were grossed out and "quickly did something gay to compensate", then I, as a lover of all female forms, would not be offended at all.

People everywhere need to lighten up, this crap is going too far.

I'm curious as to what our resident gay guys think of the ad (M4H, you out there? :p).....

The rather vocal militant gays complained again, I don't think this represents the opinions of gays at large.