SNES: The pinnacle of video gaming.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I think some of the best RPGs were on SNES, sure not as pretty as the PS1 or PS2, but better content.

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
my real snes is in cold storage currently, but it had a floppy drive ;) asian mods kick ass! haha

Care to elaborate? How does that work? Copy a rom from your computer to a floppy and play it on the snes or something? Some roms are bigger than 1.44MB though..

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
I saw PSOne was the best ever so far, with SNES coming very close in 2nd :)

Wipeout667

Oct 28, 1999
If you liked RC Pro Am on the NES then Rock and Roll Racing would be right up your alley. Same isometric view but you had weapons, commentary, and SNESified rock tunes!

Other games missing from the list:
Bomberman (5 players baby!)
Space Megaforce
Axelay
Stunt Race FX

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Nohr
my real snes is in cold storage currently, but it had a floppy drive ;) asian mods kick ass! haha

Care to elaborate? How does that work? Copy a rom from your computer to a floppy and play it on the snes or something? Some roms are bigger than 1.44MB though..

they were devices you plugged into the slot. drive and all, it would load up its os where you could load or choose to backup discs. how many discs depended on how much internal memory the device had. i think mine could load 4 discs. many games only took one or two really. the best part was the ability to save a game at anypoint during playback:) nice feature. kinda buggy at times, lose sound etc.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I went out to find one today, and came home empty handed.

The only SNES console I could find didn't have the controllers. :| Oh well, I bought a cordless gamepad and i'll have to settle for SNES9X for now. I did manage to find SF II for $4.00 though. :D

Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: N8Magic

The only SNES console I could find didn't have the controllers. :| Oh well, I bought a cordless gamepad and i'll have to settle for SNES9X for now. I did manage to find SF II for $4.00 though. :D

Did you check your local Gamestop(s)? I usually see quite a few used/reconditioned for like $20 with one controller

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

Did you check your local Gamestop(s)? I usually see quite a few used/reconditioned for like $20 with one controller

Yeah, I checked those... all out. :(

I'll probably end up snagging one on eBay. :)

Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

Yeah, I checked those... all out. :(

I'll probably end up snagging one on eBay. :)

Probably a better bet....you'll get like a shoebox full of games and 2 controllers + system for like $50 shipped :)

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
I bought a SNES system with 5 games for 32 bucks :) on ebay shipped yay~!

I missed gaming on the SNES

one of the best gaming system out imo

Gatsby

Golden Member
Nov 6, 1999
There has yet to be another game that gives the joy of 3 player Secret of Mana..
Ahhh the memories.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
SNES had better graphics, but Sega Geneses had better gameplay.

Those were the last two consoles I ever bought.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: GeneValgene
i'll have to agree with your whole list of games except for f-zero.

that game was trash! no matter how well you drive, the opponents always stay right behind you. mario kart was so much better.

chrono trigger, mario world, and donkey kong country have to be all time bests.

??? no matter how well i drove mario kart would have some guy right behind me:) they catch up awful fast! fzero rocked!

yeah, love how those mario kart opponents would cheat

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Woah... thread back from the dead.

I don't think it was the pinnacle of video gaming, but maybe the pinnacle of RPG gaming.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: GizmoFreak
I thought the NES was the pinnacle

Didn't a lot of people prefer Genesis over SNES?

final market share ended up about 50/50