SNES: The pinnacle of video gaming.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mallow

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2001
umm... what about RC Pro AM... no wait that was NES!!! lol... I love that game still!

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I think my favorite SNES games were FFIII, Legend of Zelda, and Super Mario. I remember the first time I played Super Mario. I was in awe of all the colors. :)

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I remember that I bought the SNES the first day it came out. I got Super Mario World and a bit later....Super Ghouls and Ghosts and...FINAL FANTASY II!!! :D It was the best gaming experiences ever. I made myself sick playing Final Fantasy II all night and day just to see where the story went. :)
I miss the 2d games era. :(

I also remember when it was soo cool to see pictures digitized in games and to have vocals as sound effects. ""OMG that is so cool man!"

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
By far, yes...it was a time when game-quality was most important, since you could only do so much with the graphics. But even the graphics rocked...I mean, come on, the SFX chip! :-o ;) Another good reason to be a N-fanboy. :D

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Yes, it was the pinnacle. Uniracers is the greatest multiplayer game of all time. :D OK, maybe not, but it's awesome!

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Nohr
Originally posted by: Radiohead
Never had one, I had a Sega Genesis at the time. I did play on one at a friend's house occasionally and it was fun. :)

Poor you, missed out on an important ear of console history ;)

Nah, gotta love emulators.

Are the emulators any good?

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
SF2 gave me permanent thumb callouses. At the time it was pretty amazing how well it was ported from the arcade with sacrificing just minor details. That game alone was worth buying a SNES.

I still preferred the Sega Genesis though :) The 6-button controller was the shiznit.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
I'd have to agree SNES was the best of it's time. Now we have consoles with hard drives and dvd players and a million buttons on oversized controls that vibrate and memory cards and printer ports and missile guidance systems...

All these games now may have more detailed graphics, but more detail is never necessarily a good thing... I liked playing 2D games or 2D with vertical axis ... all the new games now with 3d characters and 3d worlds is so confusing and just no fun anymore... first time I played Sonic 3D I got bored in 10 minutes and shut it off. That was the beginning of the end of console coolness. :(

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
and all playable on our computers now:) emulators are damn perfect now. i can fzero while playing a dvd at the same time, its quite amazing hehe

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Definitely the pinnacle so far. At first it might just seem like we're being overly nostalgic since it was right before th hardware acceleration in consoles which allowed MUCH better graphics. But the games truly were entertaining and I still like the simplicity of the SNES controller. I suck with all the newer console controllers.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
It was evolutionary at the time but the Genesis outsold the SNES, so you can't say it's the pinnacle of anything

are you sure? i remember then quite evenly matched, with 3do and turbographics the ones being slaughtered.

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
I think I would have to agree with that statement, yes. I've owned around half a dozen systems and the one that got played the most (and still gets played) was definitely my SNES. So many good games for that system. My two favorite games are SNES games (Chrono Trigger and Super Mario Kart), but there were tons of other great games for the system. Too many to name here. At one point, I had close to 60 SNES games. I've not come even remotely close to owning that many games for any one system since. And actually, all the rest of the games that I have total probably what I once owned for the SNES (I sold ones that I didn't play all that often when I bought my N64).

So yes, SNES is the pinnacle of video gaming.

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Never had one, I had a Sega Genesis at the time. I did play on one at a friend's house occasionally and it was fun. :)

Well it's certainly not the same as playing on the console itself, especially if you don't have a gamepad. It's a great way to take a lot of classic games for a testrun though.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Nitemare

quite good!! i use snes9x.

they went from cruddy and imperfect to basically perfect now. they've been in development for quite some time. i can't find a fault so far, controllers are cheap:)

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
SNES 0wnz j00
I hooked mine back up last week, I still love playing it
does anybody happen to have an Earthbound cart that they are looking to sell for cheap? I love that game so much

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
my real snes is in cold storage currently, but it had a floppy drive ;) asian mods kick ass! haha

GeneValgene

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2002
i'll have to agree with your whole list of games except for f-zero.

that game was trash! no matter how well you drive, the opponents always stay right behind you. mario kart was so much better.

chrono trigger, mario world, and donkey kong country have to be all time bests.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: GeneValgene
i'll have to agree with your whole list of games except for f-zero.

that game was trash! no matter how well you drive, the opponents always stay right behind you. mario kart was so much better.

chrono trigger, mario world, and donkey kong country have to be all time bests.

??? no matter how well i drove mario kart would have some guy right behind me:) they catch up awful fast! fzero rocked!