Snapdragon 810 Performance Preview (AnandTech)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

best_2015

Feb 18, 2015
Apple still has a domination in this regard. 4k seems to be too much for the current market and it will drain the battery considerably. I am a bit unhappy with the GPU performance.........

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Personally, I think a CPU/GPU combination that has similar performance to the 800/805 generation with considerably-better power consumption would be more palatable than fast performance. Pair this with a top-tier 1080P display and you have a much better phone (IMHO) than another flagship model with a QHD display and poor power consumption/battery life.

Aren't folks getting tired of constantly-charging their devices and honestly is more CPU/GPU 'grunt' really needed for current software, other than benchmarks?

jdubs03

Oct 1, 2013
Personally, I think a CPU/GPU combination that has similar performance to the 800/805 generation with considerably-better power consumption would be more palatable than fast performance. Pair this with a top-tier 1080P display and you have a much better phone (IMHO) than another flagship model with a QHD display and poor power consumption/battery life.

Aren't folks getting tired of constantly-charging their devices and honestly is more CPU/GPU 'grunt' really needed for current software, other than benchmarks?

Good point. For me the whole issue of putting higher PPI displays into phones doesn't really make too much sense to me. Granted like I previously said in my post above I have a G3 which is 2560 x 1440, but I didn't NEED that (I'm fine with my Dell Venue 8 Pro - 1280x800). I think that at this point in time, that is the max required for a flagship smartphone; there is just no reason to use more pixels which only reduces battery life. My battery life isn't exactly where I would want it, not poor, but about average. But, when there is a discussion of 4K displays on phones I just want to punch myself because it is so unnecessary. For larger displays like 17"+ it makes sense, but even on 12.5" and 13.3' devices I would find it excessive. I have 1080p display on a Thinkpad Yoga, and it's tiny.

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
I'd also like to point out that things like app refreshes are more of a software issue (which throttling might be, also). I'll admit it doesn't look good for the 810, but I'd like to see another implementation. Even if the SoC is throttled 100% of the time it shouldn't feel sluggish.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Good point. For me the whole issue of putting higher PPI displays into phones doesn't really make too much sense to me. Granted like I previously said in my post above I have a G3 which is 2560 x 1440, but I didn't NEED that (I'm fine with my Dell Venue 8 Pro - 1280x800). I think that at this point in time, that is the max required for a flagship smartphone; there is just no reason to use more pixels which only reduces battery life. My battery life isn't exactly where I would want it, not poor, but about average. But, when there is a discussion of 4K displays on phones I just want to punch myself because it is so unnecessary. For larger displays like 17"+ it makes sense, but even on 12.5" and 13.3' devices I would find it excessive. I have 1080p display on a Thinkpad Yoga, and it's tiny.

You hit the nail on the head.

I am a tech 'enthusiast' at heart (and love fast hardware) but only where it is needed. I am sure we will need faster CPU and GPUs down the road on the phone, but the current flagships have fantastic performance. You can't really multi-task on a phone like you can on a Desktop or even a laptop, it is just not the same.

I have the Nokia 1520 and the 1080P display is fantastic. More pixels don't offer me any advantages like they do on a larger display, only drawbacks (power consumption, etc).

Give me 50-75% more battery-life with new gens and then I would start listening and drive me to purchase. Phone makers will very quickly start to realize that their smartphone sales will fall, just like we are seeing with tablets, unless there are TANGIBLE user benefits. Screen size and quality has hit critical mass (or exceeded in some ways) and people are looking for more storage and better battery life. Otherwise there is very little reason for anyone to 'upgrade' other than to replace their device if it is worn-out...

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006

I agree and that's why I expect HTC One M9 to be one of the best S810 implementations thanks to its metal body + 1080p screen choice. Initial benchmark results aren't great either but I bet it will do better than the LG Flex 2.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I for one would prefer 600ppi and some fast a57/whatever preferably better and expect that on the next note 5

I can see the slight difference in sharpness. I am hysterical about displays for all other parameters especially wide color gamut and endless contrast and near perfect blacks. And i want near desktop class cpu perf and memory in my phone. I use it all the time. It will last a day anyway or i bring extra charging battery.
I want all to be stellar and will pay for it.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Seriously, who other than 1-2% of Android users would even notice the throttling? And of that population, they would likely opt for Samsung vs. iOS anyways.

Is trottling a problem besides heavy gaming?

I mean if you dont use all the gpu grunt.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
I for one would prefer 600ppi and some fast a57/whatever preferably better and expect that on the next note 5

I can see the slight difference in sharpness. I am hysterical about displays for all other parameters especially wide color gamut and endless contrast and near perfect blacks. And i want near desktop class cpu perf and memory in my phone. I use it all the time. It will last a day anyway or i bring extra charging battery.
I want all to be stellar and will pay for it.

+1. To clarify my earlier post, I'm not confident all OEMs (especially those relying on LCD panels) have access to power-efficient QHD displays like the ones currently used by Samsung, in that case I'd probably settle with 1080p. On the other hand I can notice the extra sharpness provided by the QHD display in some specific situations like reading small text, the difference is subtle but if they can deliver that without hurting battery life (like Note 3 -> Note 4) and my phone still lasts an entire day of moderately heavy use then why not? About CPU performance, Exynos Galaxy Note 4 flies through Touchwiz compared to my previous S801 Galaxy S5, especially when multitasking (which I frequently do).

Last edited:

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
+1. To clarify my earlier post, I'm not confident all OEMs (especially those relying on LCD panels) have access to power-efficient QHD displays like the ones currently used by Samsung, in that case I'd probably settle with 1080p. On the other hand I can notice the extra sharpness provided by the QHD display in some specific situations like reading small text, the difference is subtle but if they can deliver that without hurting battery life (like Note 3 -> Note 4) and my phone still lasts an entire day of moderately heavy use then why not? About CPU performance, Exynos Galaxy Note 4 flies through Touchwiz compared to my previous S801 Galaxy S5, especially when multitasking (which I frequently do).

I agree - the Note 4 is on the right side of the equation when it comes to 2K- but just barely. Other 2K phones from last year did not - whether it be overall battery life, performance, etc.

I do think that 2K is noticeable on displays over 5.5". However for regular mainstream 5" phones, 1080p is more than sufficient and lack of higher resolution shouldn't be held against them as long as everything else about the display is top notch (e.g. iPhone 6).

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
GSMArena's LG G Flex 2 Review

The LG G Flex2 has a 3,000mAh battery, a 500 mAh less than its predecessor due to the smaller body size. A large OLED screen isn't ideal for long battery life, but in the end things seem to balance out.

Web browsing is once again the Achilles heel - the G Flex2 lasted six hours, which not even close to the average in the class. Talk time and video playback are OK though.

The endurance rating is above average at 62 hours - you can expect to go two and a half days without charging, depending on how much web browsing you do.

gsmarena_001.jpg

Compared to LG G2 (same battery size - 3000mAh, 1080p IPS screen):

lg-g2-battery-score.jpg

Idle battery life seems ok while something that pushes the CPU like web browsing brings underwelming numbers.

Our impression is that the LG G Flex2 got really warm while running a game, or even a benchmark app, for that matter. We also noticed, that when running benchmarks, its performance dropped after the first run, suggesting there is some sort of CPU performance throttling taking place when the temperature rises. The performance penalty amounted to about 20% and it restored back to normal only after the phone had the chance to cool off.

...Having all that in mind we proceed with our benchmarks. To speed up the cooling off period we resorted to placing the G Flex2 inside our office in-between the individual runs. All benchmark results listed below were obtained after such cool off period in order to assess the maximum performance of the new chipset and avoid reaching the overeager automatic CPU throttling trigger levels.

www.gsmarena.com/lg_g_flex2-review-1209.php

GPU performance is up 15-20% compared to Adreno 420. CPU numbers... speak for themselves (spoiler: it was slower than Exynos 5433/7410 in all CPU tests). I hope they retest it if future software updates improve performance.

jdubs03

Oct 1, 2013
Such bad battery life numbers. ~60% of the web browsing battery life is just unacceptable. Yet uninformed buyers will eat this up I'm sure. The trade-off for performance to battery life between product transitions is just crap.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
The issue with S810 throttling is that the scheduler shuts the big cores and have LITTLE cores do the work. That is why you see rather a large performance inconsistency.