Question Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 announced

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Key takeaways:

60% perf/Watt AI inferencing boost
25% performance boost from Adreno GPU
40% perf/Watt boost for CPU

There's some other stuff in there but it's curious that they focused on efficiency rather than total performance for AI inferencing and CPU performance. Also apparently Qualcomm pulled the blog post earlier today and then reposted it.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Well, I will mention this from the video of Geekerwan (an excellent video BTW)

Interesting enough, Qualcomm advances...

- I read somewhere that Qualcomm will go to Hexa Big Core in the next generation or Gen 4 with the Nuvia cores. That would be a BIG change. If this continues, the poor next generation of Switch would end being emulated faster than expecting.

- Apple should start to think that is time for Octa Core time. Or going at least 4 big cores if they keep Hexa.

- Seems that might force Samsung and Mediatek to finally make the move and introduce (or reintroduce in MTK case) the Deca Core once again. With an hexa Core design. I mean... 1 X Core, 5 BIG cores and 4 small ones.

- The rest of brands would start to get behind even worse than expecting. AKA UNISOC that they only have 4 Big Core + 4 small core design.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Qualc...ured-to-launch-with-Nuvia-cores.680112.0.html

• Wow
Reactions: Tlh97 and FlameTail

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
- I read somewhere that Qualcomm will go to Hexa Big Core in the next generation or Gen 4 with the Nuvia cores. That would be a BIG change. If this continues, the poor next generation of Switch would end being emulated faster than expecting.
As long as Switch 2 is also ARM64 based the main limitations to emulation are the GPU and the software part where Android smartphones are concerned.

Switch is Tegra Maxwell so basically a standard PC GPU with an abundance of documentation.

The more custom the µArch is the longer it takes to work around the quirks.

FlameTail

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2021

Excellent video.

One interesting point i noticed is that the Cortex A715 is barely better than the A710 in power-efficiency, which in itself was barely an improvement over A78.

It seems like we really are hitting a wall of diminishing returns with Austin's core design.

Is no one going to talk about this video?

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Is no one going to talk about this video?
Actually, I did sir, still, let's see how the mid tier are developed, since the highest one shown to be capable, even the Mediatek 9200 shown to be pretty decent.
And the Dimensity 8200 is great too.

So is time to see how Snapdragon 7+ Gen 1 and even more, Snapdragon 7 Gen 2 fares against Mediatek.

Sigh... now that I wanted to see more from Samsung and Huawei they dissapeared.
From Samsung they only have the Exynos 1380 as the new chip and is only to tie against the Snapdragon 778G. Heck, they have the even more capable Exynos 1080 and it was never released outside China!