Snapchat Is Preparing to IPO at a $25 Billion Valuation: Report

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
What on Earth are thirty-somethings sending each other disposable pics and videos of? The latest "cute" thing little their kids just did?? Their most recent home decor acquisitions? ??
I wouldn't know, I'm too cool to use Snapchat like everyone on here.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
What on Earth are thirty-somethings sending each other disposable pics and videos of? The latest "cute" thing little their kids just did?? Their most recent home decor acquisitions? ??
With the 30 something single guys, probably unsolicited dick pics.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So is the only premise behind snapchat that the picture suposedly dissapears? Can't the other person just take a screenshot? Is that what those meme photos are where the title is like halfway across the image, I always wondered what was up with that format of meme.

Seems like sending a text and asking the person to delete it after would basically accomplish the same thing. lol.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
My thoughts...

You guys are forgetting that technology ages up. So, if an app like Snapchat starts appealing with college kids in 3-5 years it will start to appeal to many middle aged users as well. Also, those college kids in 5 years are now young adults. If they've invested their time into Snapchat it's going to pay off when they age and are able to spend money.

SOME apps age up. Others are fads that get replaced by the next big thing.

If you held on to Zynga IPO shares (Farmville) you'd be hurting pretty bad now.

Going "all in" on one stock instead of buying and holding index funds is a great way to wipe out your retirement savings. It's almost as bad as heading to Vegas.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
So is the only premise behind snapchat that the picture suposedly dissapears? Can't the other person just take a screenshot? Is that what those meme photos are where the title is like halfway across the image, I always wondered what was up with that format of meme.

Seems like sending a text and asking the person to delete it after would basically accomplish the same thing. lol.
The app detects screenshots and informs the other party.

I didn't read the previous comments, but the proposed valued of snapchat is high due to demand for perhaps the only remaining unowned popular social service. A lot of young folks use it which makes its impressionable demographics desirable, though I would think that also makes its popularity somewhat volatile.