Snap On tools warranty

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
so like if i buy a impact wrench, which i already did, and it breaks on me from everyday use, i can jsut find one of those trucks and ask them to replace it and they will? how does it work?

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
i think you call or find a dealer. Depending on the amount of business you do with SnapOn, they may send a truck out to your place.

-=bmacd=-

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Yep, just find a truck or call and ask for your local dealer and arrange a time to meet.

With an impact wrench, more than likely they'll either repair it right there or send it out for repair.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Wingznut PEZ
Yep, just find a truck or call and ask for your local dealer and arrange a time to meet.

With an impact wrench, more than likely they'll either repair it right there or send it out for repair.

Whoa, they can repair it right there? I thought these guys were just tool junkies who knew about selling tools... they can repair em too?

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Yes, some of them can do the repairs right there on the truck.

I don't think the power tools are warranteed forever like the hand tools, but if it's still under whatever warranty came with it, all you need to do is find a truck.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
<----- Mechanic in his previous career.

The majority of tool dealers that I've met were ex-mechanics. And no, the power tools don't carry a lifetime warranty. I believe most of them are one year.

desertdweller

Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
so like if i buy a impact wrench, which i already did, and it breaks on me from everyday use, i can jsut find one of those trucks and ask them to replace it and they will? how does it work?

Um, not likely. Things like impacts, air ratchets, etc... they usually only warranty for a while.
things like wrenches and screwdrivers you can get replaced, depending on how they broke, like
if you're pounding on a screwdriver with a hammer and it breaks, you're outa luck.

If they do warranty some kind of mechanical devise, they usually ship it back to the manufacturer.
I had a 1/4in MAC air ratchet that got repaired 4 times in one year before i just gave up and bought
a new one. (i don't buy MAC tools anymore)

By the way, if your stocking up on air tools, a good 3/8in impact gun with a good set of impact woble sockets
can become your best friend under the hood :)

If you buy a 3/8 get the Ingersoll Rand.

DD

My Snap On Imapct wrench carries a Lifetime warranty.
(Bought the warranty when I bought the wrench)

OJ

Oct 9, 1999
This is a little off the subject, but what discount off Snap On list price do you guys get? We get 25% off list.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
When a air ratchet goes out, it's usually the plastic "Fins" that wear out.

And easy fix.

I probably have several thousand dollars worth of snap on tools. But lately I've been buying SK.

I think they are (for the most part) just as good, and the truck comes by once a week like snap on.

I also have a LOT of craftsman tools. Not as pretty, but they work. Those you have to take back to Sears. And though they are supposed to have a lifetime warrenty as well. One time Sears told me "If you brake another one of these (a 12 point 5/8 socket) we won't replace it!" to which I answered "Like HELL you won't!!"

They said I had been using a impact wrench on it. (I Hadden't) I was trying to get a set of heads off, and the socket kept braking. But the last time I had it replaced, instead of getting a 12 point, I got a six point, and THAT one didn't brake!

It did however leave a BAD TASTE in my mouth for Craftsman tool's. But then I allready had a bad taste in my mouth for SEARS in general. Having worked for them back in the middle 70's........

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Roger
My Snap On Imapct wrench carries a Lifetime warranty.
(Bought the warranty when I bought the wrench)

In 24 years turning wrenches professionally, I have never, ever had a SnapOn dealer offer an extended warranty. This is news to me. All my Snap On power tools came with a one year warranty. You can however get them rebuilt like new for 65.00.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I probably have several thousand dollars worth of snap on tools. But lately I've been buying SK.
I used to work for an autoparts/paints/tools supplier that was a major S*K distributor. GOOD LORD are S*K expensive. Several thousands dollars won't get you much. I suppose if you're a professional mechanic, its a good investment, though.
In 24 years turning wrenches professionally, I have never, ever had a SnapOn dealer offer an extended warranty. This is news to me. All my Snap On power tools came with a one year warranty. You can however get them rebuilt like new for 65.00.
I believe all Snap On hand tools now come with a lifetime warranty. I have a set of Snap On torque wrenches that are lifetime ($400 for the set). Don't know about their power tools.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

For $400.00, they better stop by your shop every week and clean, lube, and polish the torque wrenches for you.

I own a lot of craftsman tools and am extremely happy with them. Sure, they break every once in awhile, but its a quick 5-10 min drive to the Sears store to get a replacement instead of waiting for a few days for the truck to make its rounds...

mastertech01

Nov 13, 1999
Professional Use Warranties. Snap-on warrants to Customers who use Product in their business that the Product is free from defects in workmanship and materials. Snap-on will repair or replace Product which fails to give satisfactory service due to defective workmanship and materials. Repair or replacement shall be at the election and expense of Snap-on and is the Customer?s exclusive remedy in place of all other rights and remedies. For Product warranty service, please call SNAP-ON at 1-877-762-7664 or write to eorders@snapon.com. All SNAP-ON and BLUE-POINT tools carry a full warranty the duration of which depends upon the nature of the tool.

For SNAP-ON brand hand tools (other than torque wrenches) and tool storage units, the warranty is a LIFETIME warranty effective as long as the Customer owns the tool.

For BLUE-POINT brand hand tools, unless otherwise specified with the tool, the warranty is also a LIFETIME warranty effective as long as the Customer owns the tool.

For SNAP-ON brand meters, power tools, and electronic diagnostic products, the warranty period is for ONE YEAR from the date of the original purchase.

For SNAP-ON brand torque wrenches and BLUE-POINT brand meters and power tools, and for all other SNAP-ON and BLUE-POINT products not specifically mentioned above, the duration of the warranty period is supplied with the product, but in no event is the warranty period for more than one year from the date of purchase.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
For $400.00, they better stop by your shop every week and clean, lube, and polish the torque wrenches for you
Heh, it was a bit pricey but it included two high quality torque wrenches, several adapters and other pieces I'm not sure what the hell are for, and a spiffy case with lock.
Snap-on warrants to Customers who use Product in their business that the Product is free from defects in workmanship and materials.
I'm not a mechanic so I don't use them in business.

I just checked the papers that came in the case and it is only warrantied for one year. Crap, I swear the Snap On guy said it was lifetime. Bastards!

mastertech01

Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by: tcsenter
For $400.00, they better stop by your shop every week and clean, lube, and polish the torque wrenches for you
Heh, it was a bit pricey but it included two high quality torque wrenches, several adapters and other pieces I'm not sure what the hell are for, and a spiffy case with lock.
Snap-on warrants to Customers who use Product in their business that the Product is free from defects in workmanship and materials.
I'm not a mechanic so I don't use them in business.

I just checked the papers that came in the case and it is only warrantied for one year. Crap, I swear the Snap On guy said it was lifetime. Bastards!

If its any consolation to you, I have rarely ever seen a Snap On Torque wrench go bad. Especially the click type. All you might ever have to worry about is if you worked on air craft, you may need to recalibrate it occasionally by law.

And considering my experience is in a professional auto repair environment that speaks well of them.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Good, they're click types. A regular sized one and a big sucker that I'll probably never use in my lifetime. :D

OJ

Oct 9, 1999
We use many Snap On torque wrenches and we DO have them fail calibration of 4% error max. from 20% of full scale to full scale. We send them out to Snap On and they replace/repair them at our cost. We calibrate them every 90 days in our meterology lab, and this is in the Aircraft industry.

Also Snap On publishes a price list book, we get them with our catalogs, this is the discount percentage I mentioned before.

brucemsauer

Jun 25, 2021
I purchased a snap-on im5100 1/2"Air Impact back in 1989 and I was told it had a lifetime warranty, now 30 years of light use It is not working and when I called Snap-on I am told the tool is Discontinued and there is nothing they can do for me and I might as well throw the tool away! I asked about the LIFETIME Warranty and they sad there was no replacement for that tool. I looked on Ebay and not only did find A Brand New One, But I also found a rebuild kit for $42.00 that I purchased and repaired the tool Myself and It works like new again. Thanks for NOTHING SNAP-ON!!!!!

• Wow
Reactions: brianmanahan

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Wow...almost 19 years...gotta be close to a record for necroposting...and the poster started an account here just to post in that ancient thread.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
A lot of air tools have plastic parts these days that get worn or crack. I had a few of them stop working and it was almost always stupid cracked plastic where the parts deteriorated after 8+ years. Yeah...you can rebuild them by replacing those parts, but most of the time shipping + the kit is around half of a new tool with ALL new parts. In my case, I paid $20 for the part and shipping I needed and the tool still didn't work.

It's better to attempt to use the warranty, file a claim with the BBB if you wish. Just be reasonable. It's a 30 year old tool with moving parts.... Even LL Bean stopped replacing backpacks after they had so many of them sent back for bad zippers over the years.